gardening (again)

mynah

oh, i have never before started a thread, i hope it's okay what i'm doing here. and it wasn't me who started the one about gardening, not even posted in it, back in the old forum site, but i liked it so much and didn't want to miss it here.

reading about the gardens, the flowers and all this has helped me to get some positive thoughts or even a little smile in difficult times. thank you all who contributed to it :)

so this is the old thread. just copied all of it, hope that's okay - if not please remove it.

(or am i too impatient and should have waited for some moderator or admin to do that?)

dunno though how to copy those icons and pictures...

-Depression Forums

+--Forum: One step at a time

+---Topic: Gardening started by mmf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Guest on May 21 2003,10:05

It's OK to copy and paste: it leaves the mods free for other things  :;):  Thanks.  

Last week I took 9 clematis cuttings from different plants around our garden; this afternoon I took penstemon cuttings.  If they all 'take' I will have plants to sell at next year's fete.  The money goes to either the church or the gardening club outings.  

I've had to move several plants this week as they weren't growing where I set them last year.  Watered in well they should take off in a sunnier spot.  The Discovery apple tree has some fruit on and we are picking raspberries every day.  Hubby picked the black and red currants on Sat and will make jelly.  His grape looks full so hopefully he will get a gallon of alcohol off that.

I met friends on Sunday and we visited a private garden and a plant fair.  Of course we both bought yet more plants!   :D

i love gardening, and reading about it remembered that years ago it had helped me coming out of deep depression and numbness and coming to feel again, to work the soil, plant and see things grow and flower...

i don't have a garden now, unfortunately, but i've planted some flowers in big flowerpots on my balcony. also some beans in a pan, and they're growing fast... it's so beautiful to see plants grow again and flowering :)

hmmm... i'm wondering... could berries and currants grow in flowerpots, too? they're so delicious! and maybe i could grow them from cuttings... :hearts:

If you have a large balcony which is stable pots are a good idea.  But check that you aren't going to jeopardise the structure of the balcony.   Beans, fruit bushes and flowers will all grow in pots.  Make sure theya re large so that the plants get a good root base and rain water is better than tap.  Also put plenty of grit in the bottom so that they don't fall off the balcony in the wind!

I'm sure if you do a GOOGLE there will be a web-site which can give advice on what will survive windy conditions.   Fruit cuttings usually do well - I've lots of spare black currants but I can't throw them hard enough in your direction  :;):

Most beans come in short-varities these days ideal of pots.  My broad beans are doing really well, we've had 3 meals already  :hearts:

I love gardens. Growing up most of our meals in the summer came from the garden. I'm attempting to garden here (Las Vegas) I've gotten some tomatoes, grapes this summer....and I had peas this past winter, but it is now to hot to grow anything, or even to tend the soil because it just doesnt cool off in the evenings here.....I will try and plant other things this fall. In the mean time I will continue to read about others gardens.:D

Muskmelons are cantaloupe. Growing them(strawberries, raspberries, muskmellons) fresh in the garden, they have soooo much more flavor than the store bought versions.  I won't even buy them from the store, as they taste nothing like what I grow.....

It's UK National Allotment Week soon so Jo - when I get BBC Gardeners World mag next to the computer I will send some links.   Unless you get to the shops first!  There's a whole page which might be of interest.

I have lots to do outdoors but it's a little warm yet.  Also I'm soooo tired that I need a doze first  :sleepy:

• 2 weeks later...

We're picking fresh peas regularly as well as runner and French beans; the plum tree broke it is so full of fruit so we picked those last night, fighting our way through the wasps.  Hubby harvested the garlic two weeks ago which is drying ready for use.  It's sweet and not strong flavoured.

Tomatoes aren't worth growing this year but the indoor grape looks good  :D <hic>

Soon be time to begin taking up plants for the compost and digging over the ground ready for Autumn  :(

• 3 weeks later...

thank you lizzy for your good ideas! :)

sorry that i took so long to reply.

luckily my balcony is large and stable. i should go and collect some small stones to put in the bottom of the pots, good idea to keep them from getting blown over. indeed it is windy. those big plants near the railing i've tied to it so it's safe for now.

the beans didn't bring up enough for a dish... so i'll just keep the seeds for next year i think. i like the red and white flowers of those beans. it's a variety that climbs high (i don't know how they're called) and it makes the railing and walls green :)

i like zuchini! :) but i can't grow them here. i can't really keep a veggie garden up here, alas. tomatoes usually do ok in a pan, but not with such a rainy summer as this year, too much fungus diseases spreading. but i will try berries and currants, if i can work up the energy and courage to go and ask some garden owners for spare cuttings, in the outer areas of town. i remember that i had lots of spare cuttings and bushes when i had a garden, even throwing some away when noone wanted them. too bad for me you can't throw this far, lizzy :;): but then, probly people would have been shocked if it was raining currant cuttings :D

for now i'm enjoying the flowers...the lantana, oleander and dahlias. the shrubs were small cuttings in the beginning, but now they're growing bigger and look beautiful.

m.

zuchinni = courgettes ?   :hearts: although we do cook stuffed marrows occasionally.

Hubby loves dahlias - I can take them or leave them.

The birds are busy on the feeders this week always a sign of colder weather.  Our passion flowers still have plenty of flowers on  :grinning: and runner beans are doing well in the damp weather.

• 2 weeks later...

I love to garden, too, but with my depression my energy level comes and goes, so some years I really get out in the yard a lot and others I hardly to at all.  Luckily I have mostly shrubs, all of which bloom and various times, so I can have flowers without planting them each spring.

My favorite plants of all are my bamboo.  It's got a bad reputation for spreading, but mine is well-contained---either in big pots or in raised garden beds with rhizome barriers.  My grandparents had bamboo in their back patio so it's a sentimental plant for me.

Today I got the day off of work, trying to catch up on projects in and out of the house, and got halfway done with creating a raised border around a large garden bed with cement blocks.  These are real cement blocks--they were made when I had a sidewalk torn up, so it's been quite some work to get pieces to match up next to each other.  I like the look of commercial blocks, but mine are free, which I can't beat!  I may have to buy some more, but probably only 5 or 6 and I've seen them at landscape places.  Can't imagine they would be as expensive as the pre-formed blocks.

Anyway, when I'm done with the blocks, I'll cover the entire garden bed with garden shrub fabric and this fall plant some shrubs there, and maybe a small tree.  Then I'll cover it with left-over beauty bark that I've had covered up for a couple years with tarps.  I hope I get it all done.

I've done a lot in the front yard this year, too, so I'm happy with what's been accomplished.  And the south side of the house I planted pyracantha shrubs to protect the siding from the heat--eventually.  It'll take a few years for the plants to create shade behind them.

It's fun to read what everyone else has done in their gardens.  I wish I had time for a vegetable garden, but I just don't.  All the fruits and veggies sound delicious.

:hearts: WBH

We are still picking stick beans.  The wasps spoiled the pears.  We planted a crab apple tree and hubby has made some jelly  :hearts:

I was outdoors this morning weeding and planting autumn flowering plants when it poured with rain.  Then we had sun and humidity; now it's raining again.  Good for the beans  :D  It will freshen up the pond too.

My shrubs all look healthy; so long as they go through the Winter we will get a good show in the Spring.  Roll on Feb!

Guest art.chick

ALthough I have no land, I put dirt in containers and plant the seeds I find in my own food.  Or perhaps I see plants I like in other people's yards, take the seeds, and try to cultivate them in pots.  Sometimes I get good stuff.  I love the tomatoes and the peppers.  PLants are healthy to have around anyway.

I haven't done a thing out in my garden since the last week of July.  Plenty of weeds out there.  By the time I got to the green beans, they had grown toooooo larg, and gone to seed.  Hoping for a second crop, because we do love green beans.  Fall raspberries and grapes are here.  I covered them with a netting, one day that I was here, to keep the squirrels off.  Squirrels  ate the five tiny peaches we've Ever had on the peach tree.   :hearts:   Sweet corn is ok, but it needed more water when I was gone, so only getting a few ears of corn........The canteloupe is coming along.  Not warm enough for it, was a cool summer......I hope to get one or two good mellons........I used to have a sure fire brand called Delicious 51, bought little seed packets of that variety, and it was always good......I've been out there weeding for an hour a day the past few days, and am making a dent.  I love being outside, in nature, listening to the one or two cicadas that we have around here.  Where I grew up, where my brother was burried, there are choruses and choruses of cicadas, and I Really Miss that sound in the summer.............

• 1 month later...

Wow snow already  ???  it's chilly here in the middle of the UK but after days of rain it's been sunny.  We picked the last of our runner beans and tidied the vines into the compost; I did some digging in the plot this morning it's very claggy but I managed to turn over some huge clods.  Hopefully the frosts will break the earth down.  And there are plenty of worms for the birds.

We have chillies inside; they are hot, hot, hot  :oh:

We are looking for an acre of land but small plots are as rare as hens' teeth.  We want to cultivate an orchard, dig a pond and plant an English hedge-row; silver birch, hawthorn/blackthorn/elderberries ...... it's pricey too, probably more than we can afford at present even if a plot turns up.

Birds are singing early in the mornings, all securing their territories before the Winter months.

that's early for snow!

i hope here we won't get snow so early. well usually in the city it's some degrees warmer than countryside, and i hope for a long autumn.

there is a lot of wild grape berries at the vines covering the walls in the backyard (and beautifully colored are the leaves) - and big flights of starlings feeding on them. and all leaving at once, with a lot of noise, when