Should I Switch My Psychiatrist?

Icarus21

Okay I've had psychiatrist all my life. For a while I had a really good one from the age of 7 who really helped and understood me. After he left things just went downhill from there. Like every half year I kept getting replaced with new Psychiatrist and none of them had the level of understanding or compassion as my first one except one was okay. The one I have currently is the worst though. If there was any person who could tear and wreck all the remaining self esteem I had left it would be this psychiatrist. He is very difficult to talk to. He acts like he knows everything and is very judgmental. Most times he wont even let you talk. He just lectures you or puts you down saying what your saying is bulls***. Like I did say to him i was going to write a novel over the summer and I met him yesterday and teased me because I haven't started. I'm going through the roughest time of my life. I can barely get out of bed let alone even move an inch because I'm in such emotional shock and pain. And then I told him i will be a little busier in July and he was like I think thats bulls***. He always has to challenge what I say. And i can never get to the point and say what I need changed without him acting all smart with me. The worst thing is my mom nods and agrees with him and we had an argument and she doesn't seem to care. I know she cares in her own way but She never really ever respects my wishes at all. Before I came to the appointment i was in a good mood feeling a little better and confident. I just don't know anymore. But it is really important for me to get the right medication and he is doing that. Instead he just argues and cuts me off.

I agree. If you don't feel better after seeing your pdoc/therapist/psychologist, then they're not doing their job. You deserve someone who will make you feel better. Recovery is difficult enough without a pdoc like yours.

IMHO, the 2 of you do not "click". You need to find another pdoc to handle just your medes and then find a psychologist for your other needs I think you will do better if you have a mental health team. I have a new pdoc who also does counseling She manages my meds and so far there's been no problem. I also see a psychologist who helps me keep on an even track with how to handle my problems so I can move forward. I put in a lot of self-work and I get good feedback from her. The best part is they communicate with each other when needed That is what I mean by saying "mental health team."

Sheepwoman

Thank you guys! I was thinking of changing too but its so hard to find pdocs around here. I have to go an hour out of my way to see mine. And then my mother tries to control all my medical stuff even though I'm 21. I might search online to see if there are any in my area.

Riftara: Some meds could be harmful to the embryo/fetus but I would ask him about it on why he says that. He should hopefully fill you in on his reasonings. If not then yeah I would change but regardless do what you feel is best too. I am in the process of thinking about switching. Best luck to you and your pregnancy! :)

Sheepwoman he is supposed to handle just my meds and I have a separate psychologist who is wonderful and we click fine. My psychiatrist however won't stay on topic and swarms me with these huge lectures. And I really hate the way he cuts me off and tries to turn things around making me look dumb. But yeah I'm thinking of changing.

Riftara: Some meds could be harmful to the embryo/fetus but I would ask him about it on why he says that. He should hopefully fill you in on his reasonings. If not then yeah I would change but regardless do what you feel is best too. I am in the process of thinking about switching. Best luck to you and your pregnancy! :)

My old pdoc setup my meds to be as safe as possible for pregnancy. I LOVED him, but we moved. Now this pdoc wants to take me off everything, which i know will just have me in the hospital, again.

My old pdoc setup my meds to be as safe as possible for pregnancy. I LOVED him, but we moved. Now this pdoc wants to take me off everything, which i know will just have me in the hospital, again.

Oh gosh thats not good at all and sounds really dangerous. I would try to switch asap. We should never have to feel that low. I feel like I need to switch before its too late. I feel like these psychiatrist have been messing with me. I been having bad psychiatrist one after the other and they all just leave within 6 months :/