I Am Scared. I Feel Alone.

Hi 1KeepOnLiving1. I wish I had unquestioned faith as well. But I don't. I always question, I always seek proof, and I always doubt. I feel alone in this world a lot. I've heard from people that "faith" and seeking god does help. I do believe in a form of god, I just don't know what it is. I don't care for religion. Just wanted to say I know how you feel.

Having faith doesn't mean not having doubts. One of my favorite Bible passages is Mark 9:14-27, which deals with a man who asked Jesus to heal his son. Jesus said to the man, "Everything is possible to one who has faith." And the man replied to Jesus, "I do believe, help my unbelief!" (verse 24). And while I certainly respect other people's feelings and experiences, I think it's interesting that the Latin origin for the word "religion" means "to bind together." In other words, "religion" is supposed to bring people together, not separate them. Isn't that interesting? I guess our human failings continue to get in the way of us living together in harmony.

books were written by men, not by a god.

To me, it is quite the opposite. Scripture is written by God (JHWH). It's humananity (I don't want to offend the feminists out there, no thanks to not having a neuter gender in English) that screwed up the message.

To me, it is quite the opposite. Scripture is written by God (JHWH). It's humananity (I don't want to offend the feminists out there, no thanks to not having a neuter gender in English) that screwed up the message.

I've often heard people say that the bible is written by god but everytime I ask "how was it done?" the answer is usually pretty vague. Would it offend you if I were to ask how you believe it was done?

I've often heard people say that the bible is written by god but everytime I ask "how was it done?" the answer is usually pretty vague. Would it offend you if I were to ask how you believe it was done?

It was written by God through man. Unfortunately, man screwed up the message so badly, we may never know what was actually meant.

What is the Bible?

"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart," (Heb. 4:12).

The Bible is the literary source of the Christian religion. It is the inspired and inerrant Word of God, a collection of 66 books (39 in the OT and 27 in the NT), written by over 40 different authors, from 1500 B.C. to about A.D. 100, on three continents, and in three languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. These men wrote as they were moved by the Holy Spirit (2 Pet. 1:21). They wrote not in words of human wisdom, but in words taught by the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 2:13).

The Bible has played an important role in the history of civilization, especially in Western Europe. Its truths have shaped countless millions, and helped to form nations by influencing lawmakers. It has been quoted in literature, has inspired movies, and been the subject of intense debate. It is the world's best-selling book.

The Bible describes God's creative work of both the earth and mankind, the fall of man, the expansion of the nations, the formation of laws, and the rise and fall of many nations. But the Bible is particularly about God's dealings with the nation of Israel, His covenantal promises to them, and the prophecies and fulfillment of the Messiah. In particular, the New Testament is the inspired revelation of God, through the apostles, concerning the work and Ministry of Jesus, as well as the growth of the Church. In short, the Bible is about Jesus (John 5:39).

Within the pages of the Bible are great truths and wisdom. It is not a scientific book, nor is it intended to be. Instead, it claims to be the revelation of God to His people. It claims to record the past, and predict the future. It claims to tell us what the distant future will be, and that the ultimate destiny of people will end in either eternal salvation, or eternal damnation.

Source: CARM

• 1 month later...

Have faith. I always get angry at good because of the way I feel and how the world works and all the pain and missery that exists, Sometimes I pray and I don't even think he's listening but for some reason, I don't give up on God, and it's not necesarily a person. My theory is, someone or some force must have created this life, all the living things, the perfect way our body works, animals etc, right? I call this "force" or this energy, God. I've been depressed for a long time but I've witnessed some miracles and there are some days when I feel I can't do things but I get filled with this energy that allows me to do some things I thought they were impossible. I chose to believe in God, no one guarantees he exists but you feel a lot less lonely and you get some relief when you think there's a higher force that does the things that happen, maybe we don't think they make sense but I always think we are too human to comprehend the mystery of life, I'm sure I'll understand everything when I'm in another level, when my soul leaves my body

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Keep On Living,

I'm new to this forum so I'm just finding my way around. I hope you don't mind but I happened to see your post and felt the desire to encourage you in your struggle with depression in any way I can. I see you've already had several responses to your comment. I know you mentioned that you've read many posts about various people's unquestionable faith in regards to their depression and you're not sure if this is possible for you.

Well, as a person who has struggled with severe depression for more than 20+ years, I found there is hope in having a relationship with a personal God who loves, cares and comforts. It's not just about having a 'religious' belief system or 'positive' thinking if you will. Unfortunately, many people (both believers and non-believers alike) don't realize the complexity of depression as it can affect every part of our being: spirit, soul and body. Unless others have truly battled with depression themselves, it's real hard for them to understand what it feels like. When we acknowledge every part of our human experience and the need for healing in all of these areas, then freedom from depression is truly possible. Yes, depression does affect us spiritually, mentally-emotionally, and physically but it doesn't have to defeat us. One of the primary ways God works in our lives is through other people because at the core, we are relational in nature. If you are truly seeking for truth, God will show you and you will start to see common consistencies in your search. Support from others is crucial when it comes to getting the healing we need from depression. Yes, it's not always comfortable or easy but if we allow ourselves to get the support and help we need, it is life-changing.

I know from personal experience that for a time, depression takes away our desire for the things we love and especially our sense of direction or purpose. This is probably the most devastating effect of depression. It takes away our ability to perceive reality because our perception is often distorted including our concept of God. When we pursue the healing process in all three areas (spirit, soul and body) then we experience wholeness in our lives. It is progressive so don't give up. There is hope and you are never alone.

The Holy Bible is the inspired word of God, written down by men.