What Gives You A Sense Of Living A Meaningful And Worthwhile Life?

Advy

The Ultimate Value  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What is the ultimate value that you will live your life for?

• Avoid pain, pursue pleasure
    • To be happy
    • To dream and to realize dreams
    • Obedience, to obey an authority, like God
    • I do not live for anything
    • I live for many reasons and values
    • Other

What gives you a sense of living a meaningful and worthwhile life?

I think the meaning of life is asking about the essence of life. I believe the most fundamental characteristic of life is dreaming and realizing dreams. I can not reduce life any further than its ability to dream and realize dreams. If you take away a beings ability to dream and realize dreams he would not seem to be a living being. Can anyone else reduce life to something else?

What gives you a sense of living a meaningful and worthwhile life? What can you reduce life too?

I hate a lot of dreams I want to accomplish, some are to do with writing, others are going to events and seeing new places, or just wanting to write while I spend the day in one of the restaurants at Disneyland. i think dreams can push you forward and give life meaning.

I can add to the list if you make a suggestion. What should I add to it? There is an "other" option. If you lack an overarching goal for your life you may experience illness.

I think if you ultimately live to be happy, you are asking for your body to revolt against you (depression and other illness). The body is made up of cells that want to be part of something more grand than just the body it is part of, like being part of the world or universe.

I live for many things.

Dreams and to make dreams come true, for sure.

My children, my work, my career.

Becoming debt-free.

My interests. My causes.

My goals in sport, swimming and jogging, dancing and doing yoga.

Creativity.

Seeing the world, my dream is to go on a world cruise every year of the rest of my life.

Edited by Violet31

Wow, Violet, you do value a lot. The only problem is when you have to forsake one value for another when they are in conflict. That is why I am interested in what should be the ultimate value. So my question would be what is the common value among all your values, the one that guides you when values are in conflict.

Wow, Violet, you do value a lot. The only problem is when you have to forsake one value for another when they are in conflict. That is why I am interested in what should be the ultimate value. So my question would be what is the common value among all your values, the one that guides you when values are in conflict.

When I was depressed, I didn´t value anything.

For me it is a sign of recovery to be able to value things again and there are more values to come.

I´m not quite sure what you mean by your question, the one that guides me when values are in conflict? Could you specify, please?

A meaningful and worthwhile life?

Probably: To have a purpose and goal which is achievable but challenging.

Specifically: (1) To be able to learn more and add something (however small) to the sum of human knowledge.

(2) To be able to teach others more about some aspect my field of expertise and to as a consequence see the consequences of learning in others (it is amazing to see these lightbulb moments when students first "get" something and become very happy at their success).

(3) To be able to change and challenge myself such as: reach small but significant fitness goals

(4) To have a safe, secure and comfortable home situation where I don't have to pretend anything with someone who is willing to discuss emotions and the meaning of life and embrace change.

Sounds like it could just be possible :)

Getting a sense of living a worthwhile and meaningful life....

On the weekends I work in a group home for people with developmental disabilities. One day a boy I work with came up to me and said, "I'm so lonely during the week, the staff treat me like I'm invisible, I look forward to the weekends because you'll be here."

When I get to the house, sometimes I find him waiting outside for me.

I need nothing more than the opportunity to serve my fellow man. Nothing else provides a sense of meaning.

Edited by Shattered Soldier

I suppose the things I live for are to be happy (and by that I don't mean of the fleeting sort, obviously) and to have and realize my dreams, even though I know I can't accomplish all of them...in that case maybe more like "come to terms with my dreams."

I suppose the things I live for are to be happy (and by that I don't mean of the fleeting sort, obviously) and to have and realize my dreams, even though I know I can't accomplish all of them...in that case maybe more like "come to terms with my dreams."

Like the song "requiem for a dream", I have a funeral for my dreams and visions that will never be, funeral music is good to cope with grand dreams, then play some allegros, fast classical music and fast baroque era music to end the music session with hope.

I will post a link now that I can, about meaning in life research as it relates to well-being:

http://www.psycholog...aning-your-life

Also I want to share the playlist I made that contains the most meaningful songs to me, so listen here and tell me what you think:

Dear Earth:

http://pl.st/p/22054789899

Edited by Trace
TOS

I really appreciate your bringing up this topic. It's really a core concern of mine, because when I'm depressed my life feels meaningless.

I suppose that I fall into the "other" category, although many of the other options contain elements of what gives me a sense of living a meaningful and worthwhile life. I'm just emerging from a major depression brought on by, among many other things, losing my way in terms of my vocation. I work in the human services field, and, earlier in my career, I found great meaning in helping others. As my career has progressed and I have become more "successful" - i.e., paid more, more authority, higher ranking positions - my satisfaction has decreased. I no longer feel that I'm helping people, although I know that I am doing so indirectly. So it's serving other people in a direct way that makes my life meaningful and worthwhile. I hope that I won't offend anyone who has problems with the "G" word, but at this point it's important to me that I use the talents God has given me in ways that S/he guides me towards. So I'm spending more time meditating and gaining insight into what's next for me.

I don't live for anything. The only things I'd enjoy doing for a living are over-saturated as hell and extremely hard to break into without investing a huge amount of time and energy for absolutely no early monetary gain.

That said, I love my family so much that I can't bring myself to completely give up.

EDIT: Heh, DarkRain...do you like Kingdom Hearts too? Or is that just a random sig that you found and liked?

"I just want to give my love to someone, and have them love me in return. I want to feel like my existence has made a difference, and right now, it hasn't." - nhs44

And that. Although I shoot myself in the foot by being kinda picky (not necessarily on the appearence side of things), and not going out much...

Edited by HurricaneUpper

I don't live for anything. The only things I'd enjoy doing for a living are over-saturated as hell and extremely hard to break into without investing a huge amount of time and energy for absolutely no early monetary gain.

That said, I love my family so much that I can't bring myself to completely give up.

EDIT: Heh, DarkRain...do you like Kingdom Hearts too? Or is that just a random sig that you found and liked?

"I just want to give my love to someone, and have them love me in return. I want to feel like my existence has made a difference, and right now, it hasn't." - nhs44

And that. Although I shoot myself in the foot by being kinda picky (not necessarily on the appearence side of things), and not going out much...

I love Kingdom Hearts. One of my main motivations to keep going. :nod:

I used to think that loving and being loved gave my life meaning. Alas, too many relationships have led me to believe that it's not meant for me.

I used to think that by devoting time and effort to my career, and doing well in it, not necessarily measured by income, would give my life meaning. But I don't seem to be equipped with the skills to do well in my career, and it's too late to make a change, so I think that's not meant for me.

The only thing that keeps me alive is my son. While he is grown up and on his own, I can still be here for him. But on a day to day basis, there is not much I can do except stay alive.

What keeps me living is knowing that I still have a lot of years left where I can do the things I have always wanted and achieve the goals I have always dreamed of. Furthermore, when I grow up, I want to raise a family and be as great of a dad as I could.

I do everything everyday to strive to be happy.

I used to think that loving and being loved gave my life meaning. Alas, too many relationships have led me to believe that it's not meant for me.

The only thing that keeps me alive is my son. While he is grown up and on his own, I can still be here for him. But on a day to day basis, there is not much I can do except stay alive.

I don't want to downplay your pain in any way, but isn't the love between a mother and her child the ultimate loving and being loved?? I would forgo any long term relationship with a man to experience that (not that I've ever had that choice, I'm supremely repellant to the opposite sex it seems). I hope you continue to always find joy in your son and you can recover from this terrible illness. Good luck to you.

Dreams and realizing dreams? Well, they're hard to come by, but not impossible.

I don't know.. I seem most happiest at my job. Not the job I want, but it's secure and I like my co-workers and customers for the moment.

Edited by Phantastic Mirage