Sign in to follow this  
mtclmbr_gal

What Makes You Happy?

I like this topic. What makes me happy or "what use to make me happy"

1. Being outdoors on a nice sunny day, nature is beautiful and wonderful.

2. Science, I have a degree in biology and going through the doldrums of studying day in and day out I forgot how much I love biology.

3. Running, helps keep me healthy and relieve stress

4. The company of beautiful intelligent women, something I've definitely been missing since college :verysad3:

5. Southern fried catfish, mac and cheese, brownies

6. Good music and movies

there is other stuff but this is a start

Edited by kgpremed11

lets see:

1) Model Building, just the time it takes to paint, and glue eac piece together, and watch as something is made, by your own hand, sometimes its rewarding, but to me, sometimes, i just find all the mistakes i made....and wish i could have done better.

2) firearms, i know i know, i almost did the unthinkable with one, but after that, after i started learning and tinkering with the few rifles i had, i realized there was more to firearms than just the point and shoot at a paper target aspect, theres the taking it apart, and cleaning each individual part, making sure their clean and spiffy, then putting the firearm back together, like a puzzle.

3) trains, i could go on, and on, and on about trains, i love every single thing about them, the cars, the locomotives, how a rail line works, how the locomotives run, the kind of locomotives. everything about trains is just....beautiful.

*Being with dear friends

*Being with my son

*Talking or emailing my brothers and sisters

*Knowing that this feeling will pass

*Watching my favorite sitcom on TV

*Walking if it is not too hot outside

*Reading positive things

*Praying

*Meditating

I've been creeping slowly deeper into my own depression over the past few weeks. Been having suicidal thoughts. I won't, of course, I'll never go there again but it's difficult. Insomnia, general feeling of being 'unwell' then physically being unwell. Not being able to smile. It's been a while since I've had to fight this hard and it's constantly on my mind how to get through each day recently. I don't know why, it's just the way I'm feeling.

And all of that disappeared this morning, when I was actually trying to talk myself out of something, when my little feline looked at me.

When I think no one wants me, when I doubt myself, when I feel like I want to go away and never come back my Pippi sits next to me, I talk to her and regardless of what I'm saying, she purrs to the sound of my voice and calms me right down.

She's been with me a while and I hide everything from everyone but Pippi. And the wonderful thing is that she doesn't care. Not one bit. She's always there and she loves me anyway. She reminds me that there is more to this world than our problems and ourselves and that it is much bigger and stranger than anything we think we know. She reminds me that she has her secrets and I feel like she lets me in on one everytime she cheers me up by bringing me a little of that magic that cats seem to have. And, as pathetic as that sounds, she's an awesome friend and she makes me extremely happy if not only for a little while. And all I have to do in return is love her.

Pippi is the simplest part of my life and, on many days, the brightest. She makes me happy.

Yes, Cats! I have 3 and they are very good friends :smile:

When I'm feeling down Raeth (a big time lap cat) always seems to be able to tell and will come over and start purring.

Also watching movies on Netflix. I've been doing that a lot lately.

And when I'm extremely depressed I'm still usually able to read, as an escape, so books (especially short stories) are good.

My cat! Not to add to the animal trend here, but my cat can be of great comfort on my bad days, and she almost seems to have a sense of when I need some extra affection from her. It's amazing how much comfort animals can provide...

Music - getting back into listening to a little of everything, and discovering new artists (thanks Pandora!)

A good session with my therapist.

1- reading

2- writing when I'm so inspired

3- watching my favorite movies and TV shows

4- doing yoga

5- going for walks

6- being at the beach or the park

7- having a nice dinner with the family, when everyone's happy and relaxed

8- traveling to interesting places

9- watching cute cat videos

10- realizing you have something in common with someone

11- laughing so hard it almost hurts

12- being amazed and inspired by something beautiful

When I'm sober I feel so much better.  This is me looking in the mirror saying  This is the last time.  You better remember that today you are happy.  Don't ever drink again!  5 days sober and you feel good!

Edited by sober4life

Deep conversations, people of character, volunteer work

Art, painting, drawing, writing, photography, nature walks

Growing from mistakes, learning new things

Being goofy, the feel of laughter