Makeup!

LilyRain

So there is a clothing topic and I thought it might be fun to talk about something similar... make-up!

Are there any products you can't leave the house without using? Any brands you love? Any certain types or colors you love to use?

I use liquid foundation in the morning (I'm getting better at realizing you're actually supposed to achieve some sort of coverage LOL), then apply concealer on my dark circles. I use eye primer (currently using Too Faced), then eyeshadow and eyeliner (loving the Naked palette (i love a good smoky neutral eye! I have blue eyes so brown and bronze colors are good for me) and 24/7 black eyeliner from Urban Decay- no smudging for me! Or at least less...), top it off with cheap maybellene mascara and cover girl blush.

That's what I usually do for work or a day out. On weekends I'll just use a little concealer or wear no makeup at all- sometimes I'm just lazy and my husband doesn't care if I wear any.

I got more into makeup when I bought a bunch for my wedding- I learned how to apply it and actually make it look okay. I have more to learn but I think it's fun. :) my one problem is the good stuff is expensiiive- a lot of what I have is from the wedding, Christmas gifts, and the UD Naked palette was my gift to myself for getting a job.

I don´t wear makeup unless I have a ballet performance or go to some place that requires it. The only thing I wear is lip gloss because my lips are extremely dry. I like it and I have plenty of make up, but I rarely have the spirit to wear it.

Hi LilyRain

I don't wear make up, I am also unfortunately not really allowed to wear make up, but I do have some bobby brown make up that I use on special occasions (which is never).

I actually really like the L'oreal mascaras and eye liners. I may wear a small amount of loose powder, but have found that when I put on liquid foundation, I look older. Under eye concealer - believe it or not - a Sally brand which I can't remember the name works well for me.

I'm surprised that we've gotten into this post. I'm sure the men will have a great deal to contribute- ha!

I wear make-up to work, and the shopping mall, take the weekends off! I do carry about one or more tubes of Burt's Bee's lip balm at all times, and sometmes use one with a tint.

On regular makeup days, it's Physician's Formula mineral powder over SPF moisturizer, well blended. Then, neutral pink Almay eye shadow, for hazel eyes, though mine are green. Eyebrow pencil to fill in, brushed to neaten. Cover girl brown-black eyeliner on upper lids only, maybe curl my eyelashes.

For night, everything the same except use a darker, more complicated eyeshadow trio, eyeliner upper and lower at the lash line, and non-waterproof mascara. I never use foundation because I sweat underneath it, and don't like looking like I'm wearing a mask. Also, avoid anything under the eyes so as not to accentuate lines and wrinkles. Never wear blush, either, just don't think I need it. For night, lipstick is optional, usually in the berry family, nothing high gloss.

It's funny how differently people use makeup. When I was younger, it was meant to be dramatic, and no attempt was made to hide the fact that I was wearing makeup. Heavy blue eyeshadow, loads of black eyeliner and heavy mascara, lots and lots of lip gloss. A friend once watched me applying makeup, dazzled by the colors, saying it was like watching me "color my face with crayola." Well, now that I'm all grown up and in fact middle-aged, the art is to wear makeup that enhances without looking like you're wearing much of anything! I miss the drama!

Not to seem like we're excluding men, some DO wear makeup! Whether to enhance, to cover, or simply as a personal choice, makeup can make us feel better about ourselves, or allow us to "hide" behind a facade. It's also part of fashion - I choose to wear clothes that flatter me or make a statement in addition to just covering my body, and wear makeup for the same reasons.

That was fun!

I love makeup.I wear foundation and eye make up.I really love mac lip gloss and lipstick.Depending on my mood I like retro or punk makeup.I never go out of the house without makeup.I would feel naked wihout it.

I don't wear much make up actually but I love it! I myself only wear mascara, I put some colour on my lips and sometimes I use concealer to cover up some red spots. People always say I look more fresh when I have something on and well I agree, I just feel a little more confident when I have make up on :) I wish someone could learn me how to make myself up proparly because I suck at it haha.

I don't wear make-up, unless it's a special occasion or the mirror urges me to conceal my dark circles. :Coopwink: I do like make-up though, I just prefer to only wear it when I want to look different than usual. When I do, I use mascara and eyeliner and sometimes eyeshadow, smoky eyes look good with my blonde hair and fair skin. I rarely put anything on my lips, some light pink lip gloss if any. I guess I'm not girlish enough to wear make-up more often, but I'm into gothic style, so I mainly use dark colours.

When I was younger I barely wore any makeup, but for some reason it's kind of fun now. (when I'm not being lazy!) also I've gotten more self conscious about uneven skin and my under eye circles.

If you like bold or dark colors or a smoky ete I'd take a look at Urban Decay. Their products are super high quality and their eyeshadow lasts me forever (only reason I can justify buying it), you can create some nice gothic looks with it too. Currently think of "the black palette" for gothic...It's like putting on velvet it's so nice! If you're ever in an ultra/sephora they have samples to play with. :)

I've been having a big problem with my eyeliner smudging under my eyes, making my dark circles worse. I've tried everything I can think of, from eye primers to setting it with powder or eyeshadow. It's driving me crazy!

Edited by LilyRain

• 4 weeks later...

I was at an Ulta (makeup store) the other day and they had a buy 2 get 1 free sale on high quality nail polish. Normally I just buy the dollar stuff, but I decided to splurge.

I got three Orly nail polishes, bright teal, sparkly metallic dark blue, and a metallic rose. I love them! Normally I'm pretty indifferent about nail polish but I am loving this stuff. I've also got a tonic compliments, which I was not expecting at all. I'll need to get more of this brand! But I might buy online next time cause retail price is more than I want to pay for nail polish!

I don't wear makeup unless I'm going out at night. I LOVE makeup like mad, but I'm just too sluggish and meh in the mornings to bother with it. So, I go to work looking .... bad. Lol.

However, I can and will talk at length on the subject of makeup. So here goes... (NOTE: I am a pale-skinned white woman with reddish pinkish undertones, brown eyes)

Foundation: Y'all, let me tell you about Dr. Jart's BB Cream. If you haven't heard of it, it's a tinted moisturizer imported from Korea that is like a magical miracle in a tube. It smoothes out your pores, makes your skin glow, and has ingredients in it that improve your complexion while you wear it. The thing that sucks about Dr. Jart's is that it only comes in one shade, it's only suitable for light skin. I believe Garnier's BB Cream comes in a better variety of shades, but I haven't tried it.

Concealer: I use highlighting concealer (like YSL touche eclat, my fave, but there are cheaper versions), under my eyes and on my blemishes.

Eyebrows: I have light eyebrows so I can't really go out without a good wax/powder combo on them. I use e.l.f. currently and it works really well.

Eyelids: Smashbox makes an amazing eyeshadow primer that improves your eyelid skin (it has anti aging technology or some crap), and keeps your eyeshadow lookin' snazzy all day and all night - no smearing, no creasing! Urban Decay has a really good shadow primer too, but I tend to stay away from UD stuff as it's a bit overpriced for the quality IMO

Eyeshadow: Ugh, where to even begin. I love eyeshadow in BRIGHT colors, but I love neutral "natural" looks too. For a more natural look I go with Smashbox, they make these duo loose powder shadows with more anti-aging crap that go on super smooth in beautiful neutral shades. I have a beige/mauve combo that works great for my brown eyes.

For bright color eyeshadow I would obviously recommend MAC, but I don't have the money to buy a zillion MAC shadows, so I use this fantastic e.l.f. palette with 150 shades that cost literally ten dollars. It's not the best quality - some of the shades have light pigmentation - but i have really pale skin so most of them work great for me. This palette has every color from neon pink to plain brown pretty much. Ten dollars!!

Mascara - I've tried to find the perfect mascara for like, 15 years now. I still haven't found the perfect one, but the closest I've come is Maybelline Falsies. It goes on without clumping and doesn't smudge except sometimes a tiny bit if I wear it all day. It also makes my thin, short lashes look fairly big and buxom.

Lips - I love the Tarte lipstain crayon. It is so smooth and silky, keeps your lips moisturized and stays on really really well. Let's see, gloss... I am not super picky about gloss but I have a bright (really bright) red gloss that I love to layer over lipstick colors. I think it's L'Oreal. Also, Dior makes a really nice sparkly pink gloss but it's definitely a splurge item.

Blush - I have two blushes that I use religiously: Benefit's Dandelion and Smashbox O Glow. Both leave a beautiful pink glow on my cheeks, O Glow is a little bit brighter/redder, so I just go with what I'm in the mood for. Dandelion can also be used all over as a highlighting powder.

Other Products/Honorable Mentions:

The NARS multiple stick - comes in a few shades and can be used on eyes, lips and cheeks - beautiful and versatile!

NARS Orgasm Illuminator - does what the name implies, lol! Looks good but goes on slightly greasy, a little goes a long way

Lip Venom - makes your lips plump up right away

Sephora nail polish corrector pen - for when you get polish on your cuticles ! What a great invention!

Edited by henrithecat

I don't wear makeup unless I'm going out at night. I LOVE makeup like mad, but I'm just too sluggish and meh in the mornings to bother with it. So, I go to work looking .... bad. Lol.

However, I can and will talk at length on the subject of makeup. So here goes... (NOTE: I am a pale-skinned white woman with reddish pinkish undertones, brown eyes)

Foundation: Y'all, let me tell you about Dr. Jart's BB Cream. If you haven't heard of it, it's a tinted moisturizer imported from Korea that is like a magical miracle in a tube. It smoothes out your pores, makes your skin glow, and has ingredients in it that improve your complexion while you wear it. The thing that sucks about Dr. Jart's is that it only comes in one shade, it's only suitable for light skin. I believe Garnier's BB Cream comes in a better variety of shades, but I haven't tried it.

Concealer: I use highlighting concealer (like YSL touche eclat, my fave, but there are cheaper versions), under my eyes and on my blemishes.

Eyebrows: I have light eyebrows so I can't really go out without a good wax/powder combo on them. I use e.l.f. currently and it works really well.

Eyelids: Smashbox makes an amazing eyeshadow primer that improves your eyelid skin (it has anti aging technology or some crap), and keeps your eyeshadow lookin' snazzy all day and all night - no smearing, no creasing! Urban Decay has a really good shadow primer too, but I tend to stay away from UD stuff as it's a bit overpriced for the quality IMO

Eyeshadow: Ugh, where to even begin. I love eyeshadow in BRIGHT colors, but I love neutral "natural" looks too. For a more natural look I go with Smashbox, they make these duo loose powder shadows with more anti-aging crap that go on super smooth in beautiful neutral shades. I have a beige/mauve combo that works great for my brown eyes.

For bright color eyeshadow I would obviously recommend MAC, but I don't have the money to buy a zillion MAC shadows, so I use this fantastic e.l.f. palette with 150 shades that cost literally ten dollars. It's not the best quality - some of the shades have light pigmentation - but i have really pale skin so most of them work great for me. This palette has every color from neon pink to plain brown pretty much. Ten dollars!!

Mascara - I've tried to find the perfect mascara for like, 15 years now. I still haven't found the perfect one, but the closest I've come is Maybelline Falsies. It goes on without clumping and doesn't smudge except sometimes a tiny bit if I wear it all day. It also makes my thin, short lashes look fairly big and buxom.

Lips - I love the Tarte lipstain crayon. It is so smooth and silky, keeps your lips moisturized and stays on really really well. Let's see, gloss... I am not super picky about gloss but I have a bright (really bright) red gloss that I love to layer over lipstick colors. I think it's L'Oreal. Also, Dior makes a really nice sparkly pink gloss but it's definitely a splurge item.

Blush - I have two blushes that I use religiously: Benefit's Dandelion and Smashbox O Glow. Both leave a beautiful pink glow on my cheeks, O Glow is a little bit brighter/redder, so I just go with what I'm in the mood for. Dandelion can also be used all over as a highlighting powder.

Other Products/Honorable Mentions:

The NARS multiple stick - comes in a few shades and can be used on eyes, lips and cheeks - beautiful and versatile!

NARS Orgasm Illuminator - does what the name implies, lol! Looks good but goes on slightly greasy, a little goes a long way

Lip Venom - makes your lips plump up right away

Sephora nail polish corrector pen - for when you get polish on your cuticles ! What a great invention!

I LOVE Urban Decay, but they are really expensive! I can justify getting their eyeshadow because I've never run out of eyeshadow, and their Naked palette is awesome for a neutral eye. I like their concealer pencil but it runs out SO quickly, so I can't justify spending $18 on it. :(

I really like the Tarte lipstains too! I have a sheer pink one I used on my wedding day. I wore it over an orange tinted Make Up For Ever and it was so pretty. It always rubs off though.

I've heard great things about the Benefit blush! You really like it then? I've been lazy and am just using CoverGirl, which isn't great but eh. I have the Benefit concealer kit, which I like but I'm too light-toned for most of the colors they give you... and I find them more expensive than UD. :(

I did not know Sephora made a nail polish corrector pen... I will have to go get that!!

Do you have a setting powder that you use? I can usually get most of my makeup to stay but I get a ton of eyeliner fallout under my eye no matter what brand I use, and I only line the upper lid!

I LOVE Urban Decay, but they are really expensive! I can justify getting their eyeshadow because I've never run out of eyeshadow, and their Naked palette is awesome for a neutral eye. I like their concealer pencil but it runs out SO quickly, so I can't justify spending $18 on it. :(

I really like the Tarte lipstains too! I have a sheer pink one I used on my wedding day. I wore it over an orange tinted Make Up For Ever and it was so pretty. It always rubs off though.

I've heard great things about the Benefit blush! You really like it then? I've been lazy and am just using CoverGirl, which isn't great but eh. I have the Benefit concealer kit, which I like but I'm too light-toned for most of the colors they give you... and I find them more expensive than UD. :(

I did not know Sephora made a nail polish corrector pen... I will have to go get that!!

Do you have a setting powder that you use? I can usually get most of my makeup to stay but I get a ton of eyeliner fallout under my eye no matter what brand I use, and I only line the upper lid!

Love love love the Benefit blush. And it lasts forever.

I don't normally wear eyeliner - I have (IMO) weird shaped eyes and eyeliner makes them look smaller somehow. However, Benefit makes something called uh... well I don't remember what it's called but it's a lacquer that seals your eyeliner on. I tried it YEARS ago and I remember it working very well, although it felt kind of weird on my skin at first.

I just checked out the UD Naked palette, it looks really nice. I love the blue shade on the end! Argh, now I want to buy eyeshadow! :P

Makeup... makeup... love it, love it.

I´m blond with very light skin and green eyes, so I use Kanebo Ivory foundation or Revlon matte finish. I usually put on a primer, then foundation and seal it with pale powder, then apply Apricot or Peach blush.

I use white, gold and copper eye shadow, black mascara and brown eye-liner. It´s a must. When I´m going out, I use golden eye shadow with glitter, got it from Makeup Store. I sometimes spray my hair a little bit with golden spray and I have a pearl powder with glow I got in Shanghai, China. :)

On my lips I use Clinique lip pencil and then burgundy red lipstick. I love Revlon or Clarins lipsticks, Bobbi Brown or Mac, but I recently found a beautiful burgundy lip stain in Body shop.

When I´m rushing out it is sometimes enough to use Kanebo or La Prairie cake makeup, put on some lipstick and do my eyes with very fine mauve colour and some golden highlights, then quick eye-liner.

Henrithecat, I absolutely recommend Urban Decay eyeshadow. IMO the Naked palette can't be beat, I bought it 9 months ago, use it every day, and am not even close to running out. I'm not sure what your color preferences are, but they have really vibrant color sets too.

I might have to invest in a Benefit blush, especially if they last a long time. :)

Violet, I've never used Mac or bobby brown but I know people who love it. For some reason makeup counters at department stores intimidate me, so I've never really tried their stuff LOL. I do like revlon though!

I recently tried out Neutrogena mineral pressed powder and actually love it. Their lightest shade is a little dark for me, so I'll only be able to use it in the summer, but I get wonderful coverage. I had been using maybellene dream matte powder before and didn't care for it... I'll have to find a new one come winter.

I guess I'm on a big makeup kick right now! I'm looking for a good travel kit- I drive my husband nuts when I lug all my makeup everywhere but then only use a few things. I'm thinking of picking up the new Urban Decay Smoked palette. Comes in a zip case with eyeliner and primer. Its a little pricy but it'll last me forever. :) I'll just need to throw powder and mascara in a bag and I'll be ready to go!

Does anyone here have a go to travel makeup kit?

When I travel I just take my cosmetics case with the following:

One eyeshadow duo

mascara

tweezers

eyebrow wax

lipstick

lip gloss

cream blush in a tube

2 eyeshadow brushes

eyelash curler (mini)

My makeup bag isn't that big, either. It's just well-designed and I really stuff everything in there!

I hardly ever wear makeup, not because I don't need it but because I am not great at putting it on or knowing what looks good on me.

I have some Benefit boin-boing that I sometimes use to even out my terrible skin and I brought some eye shadow at the weekend, just three colours a pinky colour, a browny colour and a neutral one. I also wore some tinted lip gloss.

I wish I knew what to buy. Even the Simple (not perfumed brand) make up wipes I brought really made my skin itcy though.

Lauryn Cat - Jr Jart's makes a water-based BB cream (comes in a blue tube as opposed to the standard gold tube), that is supposed to be lighter in color and for paler skin tones. You might check it out!

I spent some time looking at Detrivore Cosmetics today. They have some really cool eyeshadow colors (all goth themed so cool greens and purples and stuff), but it's all loose powder eyeshadow which is too messy for me to deal with.

I've got my eye on fuschia/hot pink lipstick right now. I found some at Target but I can't remember the brand - I'm going to go pick it up this weekend and will report back .. I want something blindingly bright!

• 2 weeks later...

I love the look of makeup applied well, but I've never learned how to get great results. I splurged once for a special occasion and ruined myself--her application turned me into something I didn't know I could be. I wish I could afford to have her do my makeup every morning!

Normally, I wear under eye concealer, powder, eyeshadow and my FAVE mascara!

So did you get your fuschia lipstick Henricat? I'm feeling girlish today (must be the heat frying my brain) and feel the need to talk about makeup and nail polish. I just painted my toenails neon shimmery orange. It's my day off and that is my big accomplishment.

:flirt:

I ordered a really bright neon pink/fuschia lipgloss that I found online for only $5! It hasn't arrived yet though. I need lipstick as well, haven't managed to go to Target yet to get some but I will soon. And I'll probably buy a ton of other makeup because I just can't ever resist!

Girly, if you're interested, I recommend looking up video tutorials, a lot show basics. There is one by "xteener", she's an asian girl but she's thorough in her explanations. I watched her alot when I was learning to do makeup around my wedding. You could also go to a makeup store and ask for advice from the people who work there, they generally are more than happy to do so. Some places will show you how to apply and you can use their samples. It's a good way to safely play with it. :) Sephora is really great for trying on makeup, the people who work there will help you apply and recommend products, but I don't know if they are in the UK.

I've not heard of Darling Girl Cosmetics, but I'm glad you like it! :)

I played with the smoked palette I got from Urban Decay, it's much darker than I'm used to. I have to go with a fairly light application, since they're so dark. I'm a bit nervous when it comes to colors, so I'll have to play with it more on a weekend when I won't see anyone. :) It did come with the Perversion black eyeliner. It is sooo black and smooth, but it does not come off my eye when I try to remove it. I wind up scrubbing at my eyelids with makeup remover, so I'm not a huge fan of it. I still prefer UD's regular Zero black eyeliner. :)

I still have been having smudging problems with eyeliner! It's driving me crazy! I only put eyeliner on my top lid, but I'll still look like a raccoon a few hours later. I've taken to wiping off access eyeliner off my eyelashes before applying mascara, but it only helps a little. Primers, powders, and sprays don't seem to do much ahh! People have been telling me to switch to a liquid liner...