Is It A Chemical Imbalance Or Just Low Self Esteem

wanew

I was wondering is it low self esteem responsible for many people or do some people feel confident

for myself personally I can see its hating myself low self esteem. Medication only served to keep me awake. Confidence was from charity work which has been better than any medication.

Hi Wanew

Everyone is different. Depression creates low self esteem, but low self esteem could also create depression. No matter what the cause is, trying to work on your self esteem is always a good thing to do.

Trace

I was wondering is it low self esteem responsible for many people or do some people feel confident

for myself personally I can see it's hating myself low self esteem. medication only served to keep me awake. confidence was from charity shop work which has been better than any medication. i was forced into the charity shop by jobcentre at age 23 i didnt feel despite being on medication that i could do it/anything still due to no confidence.

i really struggled to walk through the door and the heart was pounding. from age 8 ive been uncomfortable to walk down the street, only went to school,college and uni as parents wanted me to, with no real end goal or even thinking about what i wanted to do or thinking about jobs even!! i think in retrospect a beta blocker might have been useful. but yes the mental anxiety/depression was all there when first starting.

before the charity shop i used to exercise but it ony reduced stress. now it elevates mood for a few hours afterwards, possibly due to dopamine.

i think its helped me to love myself which i dont think any medication could do for me.

however i dont know when i first started ssri paroxetine it did seem to work better and i had no negative thoughts at all. i think this is where i am left wondering i realise it is self esteem/ core negativwe beliefs that has improved with forced charity work (something i didnt think i could do). i really did hate every fibre of my being for some reason before.

i still get a lot of thoughts like waht is the point etc. (depression still?) only now have i even thought about relationships etc. and it was like realising i have a life separate from that of my parents. i am still very unsure/uncomfortable about letting other people in due to being scared of rejection etc.

i do still search the forums etc. as i wonder if something like a dopamine reuptake inhibitor such as wellbutrin or reboxetine (i hear is good for social anxeity and depression) alongside paroxetine would have augmented the effect i felt when i first started paroxetine and it banished negative thoughts.

thank you for taking the time to read this and any thoughts/feedback would be great/much appreciated.

I agree with Trace.

Sometimes, depending on your personality, you might put yourself down based on what other people have said about you, which is a direct cause to lowered self esteem. If you've had low self esteem all your life, it may very well be a chemical imbalance. Only you can diagnose yourself based on your experiences with people in the past.

yes i mean i was forced by jobcentre into the charity shop. all my life i have not felt comfortable walking down the street since age 8. i am 24 now.

when i was forced in i could barely walk through the door and had all the mental anxiety going on in my head. the worst problem was the pounding heart however which i think in retrospect would have tried a beta blocker for.

i did think of trying an NRDI such as reboxetine or wellbutrin. i was wondering if by taking these alongside paroxetine ssri if it would have helped mental anxiety.

when i first started taking parxoetine it seemed to work better and actually remmoved negative thoughts. i was wondering if augmenting with NDRI would have helped taht maybe.

the other day i went for a run and felt amazing for the next few hours afterwards, possibly due to dopamine release.?? i always felt my social anxeity might be linked to dopamine

Edited by Trace
TOS, links removed.