Are You Scared Of Dying?

Are you scared of dying?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Are you scared of dying?

2. 2. Do you believe in heaven and hell?

Yes to death and no to God. I had this phobia for as long as I can remember. It doesn't seem to be something I've gained, but something I was born with. When I really young I used to cry all the time because of it, and seek a "solution" from my parents. Of course they didn't have one, exept a lie that scientists might invent a cure once. I got over it eventually and I started feeling (ugh I don't know how to explain this) ...like I was the main actor in the movie, the one you know they won't die. It had nothing to do with movies really, just my attempt to explain it. Felt like my awarness of myself and the word was central, I didn't realize every single person has one.

One day, when I was like 6 I climbed on some not very stable cliff and got stuck there. I felt like every move I'd make could make me fall so I just staysed still and trying not to slip untill my mom saved me. I was really scared and I realized then, that I'm not the character in movie who cannot die. I realized everyone it's its own main character and they die all the time. That's when my fear returned too and it still lasts (I'm 20 now).

I'm affraid of my own death, of my family's deaths, of my pet's death and even random people I don't know. I'm not just generally affraid of death though. Specifically, death of old age. I'm not unreasonably scared of accidental death, a bit more of dissease death (but way less then old age). I don't want to have a long term realtionship with anyone who is not around my age or does things that may shorten life, such as smoking. I'm terrified of being old and knowing any day could be my last, and which each day that chance increases and fearing same for my partner (still better then him/her dying long before me I guess). The fact that my grandparents are very old depresses me a lot. I'm scared of getting old because I think I won't feel attractive anymore and I hate anti-age cream commercial spam. Made me almost completely stop watching TV and reading magazines.

I'm not scared of accidents because it feels like I have a partial control over it. I am given a chance to fight for my life, which is not the case with old age death. It's certain and unavoidable, which is one more reason to accept it, but I just can't. I'm absolutely terrified of loosing myself, my personatily, my sight, my mind, my memories, things I've learned... What's the point in getting all that if you loose it at the end?

It's a hug burden on me, and no day passes without me thinking about it several times. I know I can never really be happy if I don't get rid of it. Is that like a phobia? OCD? Something else? I know I can't be diagnosed like this, but I could use some insight.

• 3 weeks later...

When I tick "no I am not scared of dying"...... I feel that I don't spend my days worrying it is going to happen. I know it will eventually and yes that eventuality is scary of course but I don't obsess day to day over it happening. I did some flights recently and whilst in the air it crossed my mind that if something happened to the plane I could die. So I thought about death in that moment. But it made me realise that although I am fearful of death, in many respect, I am far more scared of being alone. Having no-one to talk to, no-one to confide in or just tell simple day to day things that I saw or that happened. That eventuality (of loneliness) is much more frightening to me.

Oh, when it comes to heaven, hell etc I was brought up in a roman catholic household; my parents just expected me to believe in god & all they told me about religion. the problem was I never had a choice in the matter and became disillusioned. By the time I was 18, I was not interested in practicing at all. I didn't believe. I have tried going back to church but still it did nothing for me & I haven't felt any interest or been able to change my view. But I have tried, so this is why I don't feel there's a heaven or hell. I would like an afterlife that is for sure as I don't want to not exist in any form. I really wish I knew there was one as I think then that death would be much less of a finite thing.

Edited by Tessar

It helps to understand that things don't really cease to be, they simply become something else. I believe Thich Nhat Hanh compared death to rain and a cloud. Water comes up to the air to become a cloud and back down again as rain. The cloud doesn't cease to be, it simply becomes water. When people die, they become part of the Earth and part of our memories. They live on in that sense. And if there is life after death, then they continue to be somewhere else as well.

It isn't the nature of life to end, it's the nature of life to be recycled. Everything ends so that it can become something else. This helps us not to be afraid of losing what we cherish because we realize that we never really lost it, it is just in a new form.

If you are afraid of the afterlife, then you are pushing aside the present moment and then you will have had no point in being when you look back on things. We need to cherish the moment we are in to experience life. If there is an afterlife, it will come in due time. It is what it is. All you can do is live right here, right now, because that is all there really is. Nothing exists outside of what exists at this very moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I put "yes" for both questions. Putting aside my religious beliefs, this obsession with age and death are sort of a new manifestation for me. I started dwelling on the fact that one day my wife and I will be terribly old. I will either lose her and be lonely until I die, or I will die first. The other day I felt tingling in my leg, and the first thing that jumps to my mind is that you feel something in your leg just before a heart attack. I remember I have high cholestrol and now am sure I am due for a heart attack anytime.

I am not scared of death. I am at peace with the ultimate event. I am ok with the idea that I have a finite number of days to get things done.

I have made my peace with my God. I accept the deal he/she gave me. It is not a fun deal on earth, but I don’t expect it to be.

I don’t want to live a long life. Living to a old age does not seem all that much fun. I am ok with doing what i am needed to get done, and then get out.

It is just how I feel right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Im glad i found this post, I am not afraid of my own death. I figure i will die and not even know im dead so why freak out about it, but i am terrified and become ,i dont know, maybe ocd about my husband or my son dying. I think about it dozens of times during the day. I imagine their death, how i will feel etc. I also fear being alone. I do not want to be alone. I want to die before my husband. I just dont think i could handle going on without him. I am not religious per say, but i do believe in something. Maybe i go some where when i die maybe not. I dont know if there is a hell. Who really knows. I know i am not going to hell. That is all i know.

I am fearful of death and think about it often to the point of driving myself crazy. I was like this several years ago and was able to get over it but the fear has come back after losing some people that I had feelings for. The fear came rolling back and I haven't been able to work through it again. So many younger people dying of heart attacks and cancer, I just don't get how God could do this to their families and friends because God is suppose to be good so why would he want to take people away from their families. With all the terribly hurricanes and tornados that are happening, why would a good God want to hurt people. I dream about this issue as well and wake up in a panic attack. I continue to struggle daily with this and wish I could come to peace with this issue.

I'm afraid of death. I'm trying to learn to accept it. Sometimes I think I have achieved this, but then I hear a story about a freak accident causing a death and I think "This is what is going to happen to you soon, it's a sign"

Edited by Hertz

• 4 weeks later...

I am more convinced than ever that we do not need to fear death because we go on when our body stops working. It's just a body and we are eternal. If we try to live a good life and help others, we have nothing to worry about. I have no proof but I feel a knowing-ness of this that is hard to explain with words. Whatever it is, consciousness, spirit, it exists outside the physical body. All is well, even if it doesn't appear to be in this moment. Never lose hope and try not to be afraid. It's normal to be afraid of the unknown. But you don't need to be crippled with fear. Everything will be okay, even if it isn't at the moment.

• 1 year later...

It's not much dying that I'm afraid of, it's what I may have to go through to get there. I don't want to be debilitated and sick for a long period of time. I work in the healthcare field and have seen some horrible things, I never want to suffer through some horrible illness.

I think like pulling your hand away from a hot stove, it is natural for the mind to fear death. I look at it like this: I had no say about coming into the world, and I have no say about leaving it. Sometimes I really regret that I was born into an existance with so much pain.

• 2 weeks later...

No I'm not afraid of dying just the way I might die. I'm hoping that I wont die all alone and in terrible pain.

I hope that I will go to heaven when I die not to hell is way to hot and the pain that those demons will inflict on me, I don't think I would like it.

I'm scared of death too because there's no answer but don't worry about it please! Just live your life and live a good life and be the person you feel is a good person (for me I think that's a person who is kind to others and thinks kind things) I am a believer in karma and feel that if I live as a kind hearted person good will come to me after I die. Take care

• 2 months later...

Yes I know Heaven and Hell are real

No, I am not afraid of dying. I am almost 50, I am the only survivor of my whole family. I have been around allot of death for a very early age, even cared for Hospice patients. Watched many of them go.

Both my Brother and Father were on life support and went brain dead, and I signed the termination papers. And there nobody to bury me when I am gone.

I am seriously thinking of a DNR tattoo on my chest, I have faced death twice in my life, with electrocution with 25,000 volts at 7 years old. And another I wont get into.

There is nothing this worlds has to offer I want, it's all fake, phony, plastic, and a lie. People's apathy, selfishness, and stupidity disgust me now..

So with finger raised high, I would say good bye, and good riddance. I am off to see the Truth, I don't lust for lies. And here's a truth for you:

The statistics are quite impressive, 100%. 1 to 1, everyone dies. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE !!

• 1 month later...

Is there a heaven or hell? I don't actually think there is. Those two things are just more about being in the right state mentally. From the research I've done, it seems as if Jesus was a spiritual person who would've probably been into meditating and fasting. With that in mind, I don't believe it to be too implausible to think that Jesus was saying that if you don't live right you are mentally in hell and if you live right then you would be in nirvana/bliss/Elysium/paradise/heaven/Valhalla. The main reason I believe in this so strongly is because the things that I've had to go through in my own mind have been more horrifying and damaging than what any civilization/peoples has written down about hell. No, I'm not scared of dying. When I first entered depression 3+ years ago I was ready to take my own life, but completely scared to actually do it. It was never really a fear of dying for me, but rather I was worried that I would be tortured in hell after being tortured on Earth for so long. Now its evolved to the point where not only am I not afraid of death, but I would pretty much welcome it unless its torture or something along those lines. I mean I'm a happy, fun, caring guy, but it just seems like that's not even really me. I can go from telling someone a joke to planning my own demise in the blink of an eye. I could live to be 80, fall in love, have kids, travel the world all that good stuff and I just feel like at the end this huge unbearable lump in my chest would still be there.

• 2 weeks later...

I am scared of dying, just because I don't know what happens. I always get puzzled and caught up in worrying about the unknown. Especially unknowns that I do not control.

I would also prefer to have a long, fun life here first before moving onto to that moment of discovery. I feel like I have a lot I can do before moving on, and it may be kind of selfish but I want to do that stuff. :smile:

I'm not afraid of death. I am scared of dying slowly, painfully, and alone. My mom was very ill for a long time, congestive heart disease and several strokes. I don't want to be dependent on anyone like that or needing to be and having just a stranger. Death, I'm not afraid of, I see it as an escape. I'd like this life to be done, but don't want my family to hurt. I am not suicidal, just would like to be done. I do not believe in heavan/ he'll, but I think there is something else - a plane, a different existence, maybe reincarnation. I'm not sure exactly what, but just don't think there is a heavan /hell or good/bad or reward/ punishment paradigm. The only way I see that paradigm as possible is if this is "hell" and "heavan" is rest or relief from life.

As a child, I was terrified of death. The responsibility placed on me to live by someone else's definition of "right" or else I would be eternally separated from my family... That was mental hell to an 8 year old. I never could wrap my head around a lot of things in my parents religion, and by my late teens I had realized that I couldn't accept religion, I saw too many things wrong with it. And for the first time in my life, I felt at peace with death. I don't need to live forever. I don't need to come back to life. I'm perfectly content with the thought that one day I will have no more thoughts. I don't need someone else to tell me how to live, I simply strive to live in a way that I can look back and say I'm happy with my choices in life.