Sign in to follow this  
dusk25

What Are Your First Symptoms?

Hi dusk25,

I would have to say the need to sleep. If I notice I want to sleep all the time and not wanting to wake up to the world and dreading the day ahead and it has been going on for days, I go to my doctor.

For me, the first symptoms that seem to come on when my vegetative depression gets worse are difficulty concentrating and relatively mild brain fog. Then, if my symptoms become worse, I start getting more severe psychomotor retardation where it becomes painfully difficult to think, and it becomes increasingly difficult to avoid the urge to lie down.

i become lazy and start to stop doing simple task and self care. I become tied and don't want to get out of bed at all. i also don't talk as much

or at least i think this is it.

I wake up. Sounds like a joke - but it's pretty much it. Hm, well when it's extra bad I notice that I don't even want to spent all my time with escapism playing computer games and surfing the net and often end up going back to bed a few hours after getting up and spend my waking hours dreaming about how much I wish I could sleep 24/7. I feel more tired and achy and have even less energy than usual. I lose all enthusiasm & drive for my hobbies, don't practice photography, don't go hiking or bird watching, I also go on more junk food benders at places like Cici's pizza.

I seem to have 2 types of depression, 1 is very mild and common, I don't really feel sad or down, I repress my feelings and just waste my time watching TV and eating junk. Maybe that's my 'normal' mood?

The second type shows up 2 or 3 times a year and very quickly becomes this horrible deep, sinking, nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach. I can't eat, can't relax and I focus so intensely on how crap my life is at the moment, where I went wrong and how I'd thought things would be so much better for me at this stage in my life. I become nostalgic, and listening to music, especially any kind of emotional song seems to intensify the feeling. I then feel panicky, desperate and lonely. I will lose my concentration to do anything except type out my problems on the internet. This episode usually only lasts a few days then eases off back to the first type of depression.

My symptoms are: tiredness (sleeping too much), appitite (foods don't taste as good, even my favorites) very negative feelings, I give myself a hard time for not doing this or not doing that. I like to be active, I lose that when I'm depressed too.

Shutting myself off from the world, and lack of energy/tiredness. I also get easity irritated and quick to anger, although I keep it all inside until I feel like I am going to explode.

I get lots of other symptoms after that, but those are the first signs for me.

I feel an emptiness in my chest like nothing is there, which in turn makes me want to avoid people. I begin to sigh a lot without even realizing it. Then I get really tired and stop eating much of anything, and in crowded areas I feel at times people know how I feel that turns on the guilt within me. All these things start like a domino effect so when I do feel that emptiness it's depressing knowing the other will follow.