serenity80

Viibryd Side Effects

Is anyone on Viibryd or been previously on it? I am and I am having some strange side effects. Can someone tell me what their side effects were when on this medicine.I am experiencing short-term memory loss, blurred vision at times, feeling of being "wired", VIVID dreams, electric-shock sensations in head(had only once), trouble sleeping, or over sleeping at times. Anyone else experienced these???

Hi serenity80.

There is some information about Viibryd, including side effects, in the pinned topics here in this room.

Hope this helps.

I've been on Viibryd going on four weeks. So far my biggest issues are sleeping to long, tossing and turning at night with spurts of being very awake at strange hours, lucid dreams, nightmares, horrible memory loss, and at times I just feel very off. Hard to explain that one. Like being very aware of whats happening around me, very alert, but i feel calm, not nervous. I also experienced headaches at the begining that lingered for days.

I am new to this forum and also this med. I have been on 10 mgs for 2 weeks and this is my second day on 20 mgs. Anyone having problems with backaches? At first I had alot of energy, but now since I have started the 20 mg. I feel like I am getting the flu. Also since being on this med I have been bery irritable.

Hi Bon.

When you first click on the Other Depression And Anxiety Medications Room, scroll down, and the first topics you see towards the top are the pinned topics.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by AquaViolet

I've been on Viibryd going on four weeks. So far my biggest issues are sleeping to long, tossing and turning at night with spurts of being very awake at strange hours, lucid dreams, nightmares, horrible memory loss, and at times I just feel very off. Hard to explain that one. Like being very aware of whats happening around me, very alert, but i feel calm, not nervous. I also experienced headaches at the begining that lingered for days.

Did you also experience vision problems, as well as nausea?

Is anyone on Viibryd or been previously on it? I am and I am having some strange side effects. Can someone tell me what their side effects were when on this medicine.I am experiencing short-term memory loss, blurred vision at times, feeling of being "wired", VIVID dreams, electric-shock sensations in head(had only once), trouble sleeping, or over sleeping at times. Anyone else experienced these???

I had a number of problems. Diarrhea was the biggest problem. I was having it 3-4 times a day. I also experienced confusion. It's hard to explain. I would forget where I was driving for example. Also, since I came off viibryd back in January, I've been experiencing anxiety and panic attacks.

Here is a question: were you on another drug before you started taking Viibryd?

My "side effects", after 1 week, have been:

Nausea

Dizziness

Extreme sweating, day and night

Vivid dreams

Vertigo

Intense insomnia

Diarrhea

But you know what every single of these symptoms have been previously reported for? Paxil withdrawal, which is what I was taking. Paxil is such an addictive drug that some people have had symptoms for eight weeks coming off it. I know some other drugs have withdrawal symptoms, too. Depending on how long you've been taking it, your symptoms may not be from the Viibryd.

Edited by mucey

I have had those same side effects, in additiOn to short term memory loss, restless leg syndrome, brain fog, brain zaps, temporary loss of vision, increased sensitivity to bright light, extreme weight loss, constipation, etc. only thing is, I've never been on Paxil.

I started Viibryd in mid-April. I had been on 40mg of Cymbalta. I felt ok with Cymbalta but not great. (When we tried increasing me to 60mg of Cymbalta I felt worse.) So my doctor and I decided to try

Viibryd which is relatively new and supposedly has low risk of sexual side-effects. We slowly have increased my dosage and am currently on 30mg. I wish I could say I feel great but I don't. My mother died

end of April so the timing of a med change was not good. However that's hindsight. So I have the following thoughts on Viibryd:

- Depression feels worse but I am also grieving my mom's death so hard to say what is what

- I have had some mild stomach upset and diarrhea

- Low sex drive and delayed ejaculation

I will talk to my doctor in a week to check in. He wants to get me up to 40mg. We'll see. I am missing Cymbalta right now.

- Depression feels worse but I am also grieving my mom's death so hard to say what is what

jpnwdc - I am so sorry for your loss. My Mom also died recently and it has been incredibly difficult. *hugs*

I could answer a lot easier if I answered which side effects I DIDN'T have. My experience with Viibryd was a very negative one. The side effect that I found most disturbing and challenging was the rage I felt. It went beyond irritability that others have described as a side effect. It was awful and so counterproductive to taking an anti-depression medication.

Ok, I have an update on my Viibryd. I also am not able to orgasm anymore. Sorry if that too much information but hey that's important to me!! LOL

Not TMI at all. Like you said, it is important to you. When I took Viibryd the same thing happened to me. I always have an orgasm when my husband and I are intimate. It REALLY bothered me that I no longer could achieve one no matter what we tried. Everyone is different, but I am the kind of person who needs to be sexually fulfilled which includes continuing an active, fun sex life. This side effect along with many others is why I stopped taking it. It's interesting since Viibryd is marketed to have less sexual side effects yet so many people seem to have them when taking this anti-depressant.

Willowtree that is interesting to hear. I was on Paxil for years and never had any trouble reaching an orgasm and they always said that paxil had the worst sexual side effects. But now I am having them with Viibryd, hmm...weird. Thanks for your help and thanks for saying that it wasn't TMI for you!!!! LOL

I started Viibryd several months ago, and it has been like a miracle medication for me. Before starting the Viibryd, I was taking Wellbutrin XL, 450mg. I have major depression, severe anxiety and bulimia (I already know that you're not supposed to be on Wellbutrin if you are bulimic, but I discussed the risks with my doctor and the benefits far outweighed any risk in my opinion). I've tried many, many different antidepressants and anxiety medications over the years, and Wellbutrin has been the only one to make a significant impact, until Viibryd. Without the Wellbutrin, I was suicidally depressed. With it, I still wasn't content, but I was no longer suicidal. When I started taking Viibryd, I was extremely skeptical, but willing to do anything to get over my mental health issues. I am 26 years old, and I am ready for my real life to begin... my life where my depression, anxiety and bulimia are under control. Viibryd helped me get my depression under control. I used to be sad all of the time, with very fleeting happy moments. Now I am generally content, and sometimes even very happy, with some sad moments.

Of course, this medication has no cured all of my mental health problems... I am still dealing with severe anxiety, but I am working with a therapist to get that under control without the use of medications like Xanax (I had some dependency issues with that before). I can't praise this medication enough, because it has allowed me to feel happiness again. I must add, though, that I have felt intense anger a few times. It seems as though, at times that I would have cried before, I am feeling anger instead. Honestly, being angry is a lot less unpleasant than feeling sad... but I have noticed that I've gotten more angry about some things than I should have been. The feeling went away rather quickly and I was able to think logically about what was troubling me, so it hasn't really been a big problem. Another thing that I noticed was that I had very vivid dreams. Sometimes they were fun and interesting, but I also had a few violent dreams, involving m***** and just general violent acts that I would never even consider during my waking hours. It was a bit disturbing. However, the pleasant dreams were so interesting that sometimes I didn't even want to wake up because I wanted to know what happened next!!

Something else that is worth mentioning... this has not affected my sex drive at all. I still get aroused and I am able to have full-blown orgasms, which wasn't always possible on other antidepressants. I was so frustrated by the inability to orgasm on other antidepressants that I refused to take them. I know that this may sound silly... choosing orgasms over a potentially helpful depression medication... but it can be pretty depressing to be a reasonably healthy woman in her 20s who knows what an orgasm feels like, but is unable to achieve one. Also, I have noticed that I sweat a lot more. I would sweat a lot before I started taking Viibryd, but it seems to be excessive now. I even sweat under my eyes which I think is very unusual (and my friends agree). Has anyone else noticed this????

Anyway, that is my experience with the medication. I've seen a lot of negative reviews, but I wanted to let people know that it's had a very positive effect on my life, and it is worth trying.

I started taking Viibryd in April of 2012. It was prescribed to me after telling my psychiatrist that the 100 mgs of Zoloft I had been taking for years had stopped working. My doctor presricbed the starter pack where I take the first week of 10mgs, the second week I take 20 mgs, and the third week I take 40 mgs and that 40 mgs would be my daily dose. I was also instructed to ALWAYS take it with food. In the beginning I seemed to immediately feel better and as the amount increased each week I continued to feel better.

I did feel however, like I was the Energizer Bunny! I had more energy and zest for life than I had had in a long time. I actually wanted to get out of bed and do things. I was also experiencing intense hot flashes. (I am 42 and had a total hystorectomy at the age of 37, per my request to my OBGYN. I do not take hormones due to breast cancer link.) So I cannot say that the Viibryd is the cause of the hot flashes;however they are definetely more intense.

I was prescribed this medication for my depression. There were no ongoing situations in my life (i.e. death or loss of loved one, job loss, etc.) that would cause situational depression.

Viibryd has helped me to stay calm. I do not get as angry, frustrated or as teary as I did with the Zoloft (when it stopped working).

The Viibryd has not helped me with anxiety, although I'm not sure if it is prescribed for that. I have continued taking .5 mgs of Xanax a night to help my brain turn off so I can fall asleep. I also use Valerian root to help promote sleep. When I do finally fall alseep, I sleep through the night. I need at least 8 hours of sleep to function well. I do have more vivid dreams since taking the Viibryd. They are all not nightmarish or violent in nature. There have been a few, maybe 1 a week .

I am currently single and do not have an active sex life with a significant other. I am able to achieve orgasm through *************,so if it will be affected when with a partner, I cannot answer that question now.

One of the side affects I have found is when i do not take the Viibryd daily as prescribed, the next morning is a miserable exsistence trying to get out of bed and function. I get that "hung over" tired feeling and have to really focus on trying to get things done. I also feel sad, defeated and deflated the next day if I forget to take the meds the previous day.

I have been on depression meds since the age of 25; Prozac, Lexapro, Wellbutrin and then Zoloft. The Zoloft worked for over 10 years. I have also tried Buspar for anxiety and that didn't work. I have been on Xanax since September of 2002 when my mom was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease. She died just a little over a year later. It was the Zoloft, Xanax and intensive therapy with my psychologist that helped me through watching her die and then the whole funeral thing. Then 25 days later my dad died of complications of Parkinson's. Thank God for Xanax, Zoloft and my psychologist,or I never would have survived that ordeal.

I know some people get addicted to the Xanax. I have talked with my doctors and my most current psychiatrist. He told me one pill a day to turn my mind off to help me sleep is okay with him. So he's the professional. I don't have a problem taking pills that will help me if I need the help. I do not mean to undermine or be disrespectful to anyone that may have had a Xanax addiction. I'm just saying a small amount daily does work for me.

My stomach is sometimes upset when i take the Viibryd, but I find if I take it with pretzels or bread, the nauseated feeling isn't present. I also do have diarehha at least once a day, but to me that inconvenience is worth the benefits of the medicine.

My appetite has increased and because I feel better I am eating. So I don't know if I can say that the Viibryd is causing weight gain. Not sure if there is a correlation there.

I no longer have the Energizer bunny feeling. The Viibryd has evened out in my system and I feel normal or like my old self.

Some of you mentioned memory loss or brain fuzziness. This has occurred once or twice, but nothing to the point to where I feel it's a problem.

I hope those of you who are struggling with Viibryd, depression or other issused are able to find something that will help you.

Viibryd has been a life saver for me despite any minor things I mentioned. I am grateful for the medication and will continue to take it as prescribed by my psychiatrist. If I can help, even just by listening, please let me know.

Thanks

Serenity 80 - you mentioned electrical shocks in your brain. My husband just showed me this site after a week I was convinced that either I was going crazy or had a brain tumor. Something is not right in my head (and I'm a licensed mental health therapist) so this is beyond scary and devestating to me. I feel a buzzing in my head and then every once in awhile I will actually hear a womp and a jolt. Last night as I tried to go to bed it sounded like a bee just flew into my ear and through my head. I just started my 4th week on this medication. No real problems before that besides the diarehha (not so bad I couldn't handle it). But since this brain stuff has started to happen I am on edge. I just had surgery on my knee (torn muniscus) so I was actaully not working the 2nd and 3rd week of this prescription. I AM TERRIFIED - I felt such hope when I read your post that this may actually be a side effect. I am also constantly twitching and jumping in my sleep. If anyone has experienced this please let me know as well as if anyone stopped the medication how long did it stay in your system? I know from my profession that it is usually 2 - 3 weeks for other kinds of medication, but this is one that I had no information on.

I stated viibrtyn yesterday. I've been in bed all evening

And going between wanting to puke, feeling dizzy

And feeling stoned.

I'm so ready to feel some what normal

But with 4 kids, one in trouble with the law, one

With autisim and my husband traveling

I can't keep feeling this weird!!

How long do I give it? I can't physically function

I started taking Viibryd about a month ago as a replacement for Effexor. So far the side effects have been limited, but then again I am detoxing in from the Effexor as well. My Dr. Recently prescribed Fetzima as the final cog in the wheel to replace the Effexor.

Viibryd seems to do fine with the serotonin but does nothing with the epinephrine, hence the Fetzima.

I am having crying fits of despair but I think that maybe the Effexor withdrawal.

I take lorazepam twice a day for that.

For background I've been on and off Meds since I was 16 I'm now 50. Many have simply stopped working. I am currently going terrible divorce and have lost everything including the right to see my children.

It can be hard to parse what is the drugs and what is my life.

I'll update on the viibryd as I get more experience with it.

Thanks to everyone that posts.

After 2 weeks on 40 mg, I had just about everything described in this thread, and then some. I was fine on the 20 mg, but the 40 brought along awful nausea, suicidal thoughts, vivid dreams/nightmares that made sleep impossible, jitteryness, and brain zaps.

Hi All :)

Trial run this month-starter pack of Viibryd.

--Tried and failed Fetzima & Wellbutrin

Dx: MDD,

Age 30

I just started Viibryd this week and am on my final 10mg dose and so far so good. I'm also surprised at how QUICK this medication works...I was thinking I'd have to wait at least 3-4 weeks to experience anything like the other antidepressants I was on, but this med proves otherwise. Anyhow some of the side effects I've experienced the first week was:

Insomnia

Anxiety/Panic Attack

Nausea

Restless Legs

Nervousness

After the 5th day, things have actually gotten better. It's amazing! I still get the slight anxiety and have a really hard time sleeping...but I feel so much better, like I can't get as mad as I used to which is so wonderful, I have more patience, my appetite is back (could be good or bad). I'm working out more, I haven't experienced any weight loss or weight gain yet, but it is only the first week. I want this medication to work because I don't want to try any more meds, so I hope that when I start the 20mg dose tomorrow it won't change much. After reading the negative reviews about the 40s I'm hesitant to go up, that's not it though have you seen the size of the 40mg? I will definitely have to use my judgement and how I feel when that week comes. Anyhow, THANK YOU all soo much for your input and posts about this med, I was super hesitant to try it, but after coming across the forum I decided to go ahead and give it a try, it's better to try something new then feel like you can't manage life at all! I only wish the Viibryd would make me motivated to do school work. Anyhow good luck to you all!!

Viibryd is one of the few medications which my DNA GeneSight psychotropic results suggested for me. I see my doc in two days and will discuss making the switch. Thanks for everyone's input. This DNA test (GeneSight by Assurex Health) is available in the USA. It assists in selecting the right medications.