Sign in to follow this  
Onelightburning

Really Disappointed With The World!

I'm fed up with this s***. Why aren't people with mental illness understood? What's so ******* hard to understand that mind can get ill just like the body? It isn't rocket science for gods sake. These people disappoint me who don't even want to understand mental illness, but label the people instead. They probably still think that depression is some form of weakness or laziness. Sad idiots who just won't use their brain no matter what..

Hi Onelightburning.

It is really frustrating that a lot of people don't even try to understand. Of course the brain can get ill, just like any part of the body. Depression is so misunderstood and stigmatized. I wish more people would open their eyes and not be so ignorant.

Trace

Thanks Lauryn, and all my sympathy to you, and your husband. I admire your courage bringing up your depression openly, as it is far from easy to do. Things are changing, you're right, although it takes its own time. Got to keep believing though.

Hi Onelightburning

There is no need to be sorry and it is the correct place for this.

Trace

Guest NotYet

It's not just mental illness. People naturally despise weakness. It's even worse when they don't understand the weakness to begin with. People with invisible chronic pain conditions have to deal with this, too.

I think its a very difficult disease or disorder to identify with if you have never experienced it. But for us, its not laziness or something we are making up for attention, it is ACTUAL physical and mental pain for us. That's why we are on this forum, yes? To have people who can understand and identify themselves as depressed, etc. Keep your chin up my friend.

People that don't have a mental illness have no idea how much it hurts and how agonizing it can be at times. They don't realize that if there was a switch of on and off with any mental illness, we would switch it right off. They think we choose to feel this way and we just need to change our mind set. Well tough sh*t cos it's not like that at all. Why in the world would we want to feel this way in the first place? It really annoys me too, I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one who get this P***** off about it.

What I think really takes the cake is the fact that if you seek help for depression from a psychiatrist or have been hospitalized at any time you can not get long term care insurance, much less life insurance. What the heck does one have to do with the other? I happen to know a ton of people who have depression and are on meds, but they come from a medical doctor or primary care physician.....so that makes it all okay??? I get mad just thinking about the unfairness of it all.

I know destiny. I was in a ward just a year ago and guess what? The buildings are ancient and probably about to collapse within ten years. The wards have been positioned in a location where there is a medical center for contagious diseases right next to them in the area. Perfectly good spot to place it, right near the psychiatric wards. If the loonies die to some contagious disease who the **** cares anyways? That's the ****ed up attitude society has towards mental illness.

What I think really takes the cake is the fact that if you seek help for depression from a psychiatrist or have been hospitalized at any time you can not get long term care insurance, much less life insurance. What the heck does one have to do with the other? I happen to know a ton of people who have depression and are on meds, but they come from a medical doctor or primary care physician.....so that makes it all okay??? I get mad just thinking about the unfairness of it all.

Oh mine is this serious? I had no idea I have been deprived of life insurance......Now I feel really ignorant. Does this work for most insurance companies? How unfair! What about those of us who don't have a doctor and have to see a psychiatrist!

There is still a a massive stigma about mental health illnesses in this weird world, even in the NHS.

The medical practice I am registered with thinks depression, OCD and anxiety are unimportant and before now when I have told the receptionists about my illness the have sniggered and questioned whether it was real or if I was making it up. I have requested my medical records in full only to find appointment details regarding my OCD, anxiety and depression missing when I know they should of been there. You think doctors and medical practices would not be prejudiced but they are terrible for it.

I had a co-worker who I hid my depression from for 2 years the best I could only because she I didn't think they would understand. Just recently she experienced a bout of depression and finally understands and we are able to talk about it. Some things just have to be fully experienced in order to be fully understood and I believe depression is one of those things.

Edited by Ennovahs

I had a co-worker who I hid my depression from for 2 years the best I could only because she I didn't think they would understand. Just recently she experienced a bout of depression and finally understands and we are able to talk about it. Some things just have to be fully experienced in order to be fully understood and I believe depression is one of those things.

You hit the nail in the head. This is it. It's impossible for anyone who hasn't had the emotional experience to relate.

I hate the stigma myself - my parents literally don't understand.

It's horrible and the fact that the only people that understand and I can turn to are those that are on online forums, which is just depressing in itself.

(Not an insult to those on said forums, I'm sure that you understand what I mean)

Edited by HurricaneUpper

I've had people come up to me and say 'I have such and such mental illness' and when I try to talk to them about it, it becomes clear that they don't understand in the least.

(I have had people say that and they really did have MI)

I've also had people tell me they understand depression but they'd get very confused when I'd have an episode or not understand or blow me off if I tried to explain it.

It's hard not to be disillusioned with the world. I have learned since my childhood that it's easier to isolate myself than to put myself in the path for abuse. I'm a nice person but I really only have one friend. I've made a couple of friends here, and that's pretty new. I have acquaintances but socially, I'm either alone or with my mom, sister, or husband. My one friend lives two hours away.

the world is just so....mean. especially to us.

Edited by Shmooey

It's hard not to be disillusioned with the world. I have learned since my childhood that it's easier to isolate myself than to put myself in the path for abuse. I'm a nice person but I really only have one friend. I've made a couple of friends here, and that's pretty new. I have acquaintances but socially, I'm either alone or with my mom, sister, or husband. My one friend lives two hours away.

the world is just so....mean. especially to us.

I know, I know.. it is hard.. Looking back at past years I can't say that I've made any real friends.. I like people but I'm just so used to being in my own sphere and I'm afraid people will hurt. I've tried to reach out to others and I sort of have done that every now and then. In the end I'm just with myself, by myself. Sometimes it makes it easier but sometimes it just hurts so bad..

I do think how we label depression differs from person to person. some people suffer the same amount of anxiety losin their job as others losing their keys or wallet. I dont like drama queens who weep over split-ups but Im also conscious of the fact there are countless people far less fortunate than me so I try to remind myself that and not get too comfortable feeling sorry for myself. i just think we live in very different times. in the old days everything was down face to face but now with all the technology people can go through whole day without communicating. this cuts off ties and when you cut off ties you are alone and your mind broods dark thoughts and manipulates your actions. depression is very much an illness bred out of modern society where so much is wrong.

Edited by GreatExpectations

"The only source of knowledge is experience" - Albert Einstein

People lack the knowledge that is necessary for comprehension because they lack the experience that is needed. If ever they had to walk a mile in your shoes....they'd be singing a totally different song.