Stupid Things People Say About Depression...

Bunnie89

after long conversation with my friend who insisted its all just frame of mind and i am the one who creates it he finally accepted that i have depression 

and then said "maybe i also have depression,i need to buy new pants and i am delaying it over a month now"

Wow.  Just wow...that's all I can say to this one. 

after long conversation with my friend who insisted its all just frame of mind and i am the one who creates it he finally accepted that i have depression 

and then said "maybe i also have depression,i need to buy new pants and i am delaying it over a month now"

Wow.  Just wow...that's all I can say to this one. 

That's ... new. I've never heard that before. I think you might actually win the thread 6dantex6!!!

"You can't be depressed because *insert group* has it worse."

Every time someone uses "sad", "lonely", "no friends" etc as insults I quietly wish for an asteroid to knock the planet out of orbit.

And not neccessarily depression-related but:

"Your social anxiety is really a sign of a selfish way of thinking. You think so highly of yourself that you think everyone are focusing on you all the time." .____.

why don,t you take a walk...........Geez like I never thought of that

Do you like mediate if you mediate you,ll feel better ....not true mediation can make you feel worse

Why don,t you go hang out with your friends ......I have no friends and most people are backstabbers

go do volunteer work,you,ll make friends and appreciate your life more. .... now im just depressed because now I know the world sucks

Get a pet....how is that suppose to fill the void off being accepted and loved by other people,I take this one as a insult because it implys no loves you or cares so your a loser that can,t be accepted by your own species

I have done all these things that people repeat them over and over and over again,it makes me want to snap something in half.

These are answers people parrot when they don,t know what else to say or don,t give a crap and need some generic answer.

Reminds me of a story.

My aunt was upset and angry at my cousin for being so lazy.  My cousin was very lethargic, he did not want to do anything, and he spent all day in bed.  Exasperated she took him to the hospital where he died a few days later.

Edited by BradMajors

"i'm so OCD about this"....

I hear this a lot too, and it grinds my gears that people don't even realize what they're saying. OCD stands for "obsessive-compulsive disorder." What they're saying is, "I'm so obsessive-compulsive disorder about this." That's nonsense! 

"Anxiety is a choice!  You don't have to feel like that!  Do something different!"

OK, speaking entirely for myself, I can consider that there may be some (unconscious) choice involved.  However, when you experience anxiety regularly it is very difficult to make a different choice.  & if you have become anxious as a part of PTSD, I believe it is even more difficult.  Just saying "I choose to be calm (or whatever the opposite of anxious is) doesn't change things.  Easy to say, not so easy to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you just cheer up now? Your making ME depressed.

From a so called friend.

I have now cut all the negative friends out of my life, I don't need people making me feel worse than I do.

Vacancies for genuine, honest and understanding people please apply within

I, myself, am too "polyanish" --- I try to see the positive side, and I say stupid things on here trying to help people feel better... I always try to see the bright side, the silver lining, but I;m sure that's really annoying too.

I never "came out" as depressed to some members of my family for this very reason. My mom suffers from very severe depression, yet my grandma qualifies her as "weak" or needing a "kick in the butt". This has conditioned me to feeling guilty and ashamed for being depressed. I cannot even say how many times I've heard "think positive!". And I feel like a failure for trying to "think positive" but not succeeding.

I just saw an article about Cara Delevingne opening up about struggling with depression/anxiety, and the comments on there make me really sad. It's a lot of "she has no reason to be depressed", "I don't feel sorry", "she's pretty and rich, what is she complaining about?". Overall, a lot of sarcasm and hate. I'm yearning for the day when more people will understand that you don't need a "reason" to be depressed.