Depression Bosses Work Colleagues

wanew

hi

i was wondering for those people in work how it is when your boss and/or work colleagues know you have depression etc. from just interacting with them to permission for sick leave etc.

I've found it wise not to let them know I have depression. The world hasn't evolved that far yet, though people may say they don't judge you for being depressed, make no mistake, they do view you differently. If you've told them already, best to stop talking about it & let them think you are recovered. Make up other excuses for needs for sick leave or having bad days - things like family problems or the like are much more "acceptable" in the workplace

boss: probably okay to tell if you absolutely have to, but not otherwise

colleagues: no, i wouldn't tell them, unless they are your close friends

from my (part-time) work experience, people at work--espeically bosses--tend to pretend nothing has happened even if they know you are depressed, because it is awkward for them as well and they probably aren't too pleased. chances are people won't treat you differently but there will be a new kind of awkwardness/embarrassment around you, so beware of that.

i am sorry to hear that

i havent had paid work before and im 24. ive found paroxetine helps me feel much more awake. i had a lot of horrible core negative beliefs e.g. i dont need anyone, people arent worth it etc. and i really do not know why/where these came from, just developed when i first developed depression at 8 years old.

not really liking people in general nothing in particular about people though and i suspected because i didnt like/love myself but instead for some reason hated myself. This has become more apparent after i was forced into a charity shop by jobcentre. Fortunately on medication i could just about face up to it. since age 8 i have struggled to leave the house etc. just getting through the door of the shop, i felt sick.

after being placed on the shop till however it occurred to me in my mind for the first time i am a nice person and gradually things have improved from there a bit. i think this is where i started to notice/become aware of the self hatred and gradually saw myself in a more positive light, started to like myself more.

All the time however i have been in the shop over a year, i have felt as though the shop manageress can tell there is something wrong with me, not quite right from slow to think/concentrate to how i struggle to take information in.

my mind always wonders still what she makes of me, if she likes me etc. when i know i should just be able to like myself to be healthier, truly happy.

please can i ask does this make me a horrible person or is that just depression/low self esteem/next to no confidence talking etc. its like before the shop i didnt care about anything. :( and have only managed to this day due to my mam who has looked after me.

is the fact i am asking still for other peoples approval of i am a horrible person etc. a bad sign

yes i would say charity shop work with the right environment has helped a lot more than medication which only served to make me more awake.

i jsut dont know how to continue and keep loving myself when i have hated myself my whole life

5 minutes into my new job my new boss says to me "When I did your reference check I was told that you take a lot of sick days. We are a healthy office and don't "do" sick I hope we won't have that problem here" I was terrified and shocked. Do I tell her I have depression and risk the discrimination? I didn't say a word but still to this day I can't take a sick day because I'm scared she'll judge me. I don't even want to THINK about what she would do if she knew I had depression.

Hi Macduffy

In my opinion, if your new boss has that kind of attitude towards any sick days, I would definitely not tell her you have depression. She sounds like she would be the type that is ignorant about depression. Its probably best just to keep quiet.

Trace