Wellbutrin + Prozac

dwarf20

after wellbutrin alone wasnt helpful and didnt worked my pdoc prescribed me wellbutrin 300mg + prozac 60 mg, any one heard about this combo, it is a good. common combo?

he also suggested cymbalta + wellbutrin, what combo is better and any one have experience with wellbutrin + prozac?

I am on generic prozac and have not noticed any difference. There are a few people who seem to tell the difference, but on average, it works as well as brand name. I have taken both these meds, but not at the same time. I think Prozac is a great antidepressant. Maybe someone will come along who is or has been on both.

I am on 40mg Prozac and 300mg Wellbutrin. It reduces the frequency of depression for me but does nothing about the extreme lows, so I got pretty low at times. It made me hypomanic too.

My doctor says wellbutrin makes Prozac stay in your system even longer so she adjusted the Prozac dose down.

A good thing - my mind is not foggy like it was on lexapro, celexa, Paxil, etc.

Now my doctor added lamicital since the combo confirmed I have bipolar 2, so I hope to stop one or both, and go only with the lamicital eventually.

• 1 month later...

I am a 22 yo male diagnosed with depression.

Currently I'm on Fluoxetine 20 mg (Aurobindo - Generic) once a day and Bupropion SR 100 mg (Mylan - Generic) twice a day.

I've been on relatively low doses of Bupropion SR for two months and Fluoxetine for about five months. I can say that the drugs worked well together for me. The Bupropion "woke me up" a bit and made me feel more motivated. The Fluoxetine seems to help with anxiety and not getting overly worked up about petty things -- it "takes the edge off".

Together, these are the only two meds I'm on. I really think that these drugs together can help a lot of people! I had no negative side effects from either drug.

Edited by strnm

• 3 weeks later...

I was just about to post on this topic of combination therapy of Wellbutrin and Prozac together. I have taken them separately before , and have had Wellbutrin with Lexapro but never managed to stay on the Prozac and Wellbutrin long enough to give them a proper evaluation. I am scared of getting a bit manic on them both. Prozac is excellent for mood but can cause agitation and aggressiveness in me and I think the combo could be all wrong. Currently I am just on Concerta but don't think I can carry on ....

Any long time prozac and wellbutrin people out there ?

• 1 month later...

I have tried many different antidepressants, but Prozac has worked best for me. Weight gain over many years of taking it has been a downer for me. Then I ran into trouble when I went on the generic Prozac. My depression returned. I have had to tough it out because I have no insurance to help pay for the brand and now I get my meds from a city/state supported service, which has been a blessing. I have considered requesting Wellbutrin to go along with the Fluoxetine, because I have gained weight as well as feel contantly drowsy and tired. My psyciatrist had added Abilify to the Prozac, which worked wonders for a couple of months, but now I feel like the Abilify has pooped out on me, even after increasing the dosage. So I don't know if it is the Fluoxetine, the Abilify, or taking generic klonopin (at night, along with generic neurontin, for sleep) causing the problem. I also wonder why now doctors are prescribing more than one antidepressant-what's up with that and wonder whose idea that was?

Edited by vabredbabe

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on 150 mg wellbutrin and 10 mg lexapro for years. I believe the Lexapro doesn't do anything fo me any more but Wellbutrin is such a familiar old friend in a sense, so I plan to continue it. I am considerning adding prozac as I need something. My depression is pretty awful at this point. No energy, no motivation, don't want to shower, dont want to be around people, I spend all day in a dark room on the internet. The funny thing is, I live in Costa Rica. I don't have an understanding Dr. and don't have a Psych. Dr. and there is a prejudice here that I am a well off gringa living a life in the tropics so what is my problem? I have suffered and been treated for depression since my mid 20's. I am 60 now. I started on meds back before SSRI's and tried various Tricyclics. I have been on so many combos and dosages and meds for everything from bipolar to OCD to depression to etc.....Maybe every SSRI there is, unless there are new ones in the last 8 years or so. I am miserable and I don't know if my husband even wants to deal with my depression anymore. He knows I am tapering off the Lexapro, my reasons being- no sex drive and maybe going off it would help, and it wasn't fixing my depression. Maybe I should increase my Wellbutrin dose? Maybe get some Prozac to augment the 150 wellb? I also self medicate with alcohol. I don't live around other gringos, I don't like the locals, I have friends about an hr away but don't even want to be with them right now. I don't like Costa Rica so much anymore, but that could be my depression. Maybe I miss the USA and my family, but I am stuck here. I maybe would not be happy anywhere. Does anyone else feel like this? I am on my own except for this forum. thanks for listening.