Roughly 10-14 More Years To Live - What Should I Do?

bold8k

Hey there,

I am a 27 year old guy who got diagnosed with a sever neurological disease and have roughly 10-14 more years to live. As of this moment I am totally healthy and normal, but won't be over the next few years. I am very confused as to what I would like to do with my life. I have a job but like any job that pays you just enough to get by (around 26k a year) its very depressing living paycheck to paycheck and not being able to enjoy life a little. I don't know what I would like to accomplish or what I can accomplish during the next few years. I graduated from University with a business degree but would like to go back and do Mechanical engineering but when I think about the time frame I have it seems like such a waste of time. I don't have a girlfriend which in a way is good because I feel that dragging someone in my life with my problems is morally wrong and not fair to the other person.

My question is what would some of you do if you had roughly 10-14 years to live with very very limited money and no savings. I would like to travel to south america but I cant do that yet since I have to save up which can take up to a year. What are somethings different you would do? What changes would you make to your life if that were the case?

Thanks.

Edited by bold8k

Hi bold8k.

I´m really sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but you still have 10-14 years for now and hopefully with new discoveries in medicine, you may have more than that in the future.

I think it´s great you want to make the most of your time. I would develop a project related to South America and apply for grants. That is the easiest way to get money for your travel and living expenses, or I would save for a year and go there to visit. You can also take on volunteer work there with expenses payed.

I would also go to University to study what you want to study, because you´re living in the here and now and you´re alive and healthy. That is all that matters. Make the most of this time you have, but as I said earlier, you may have more time. I have a friend who was diagnosed with a fatal disease 15 years ago and given 4 years to live. In the meantime a new drug was finally marketed and she is alive and well today and will be for the next 20 years at least.

All the best to you. :hugs:

Edited by Violet31

Guest NotYet

I'm sorry you have a neurological disease. I'm glad you got diagnosed before you became crippled by it because that maximizes your chances to fight it.

At your age I would definitely fight it. Read everything you can about it, become an expert on it. Read about all proposed treatments for it, even the really crazy sounding ones. A lot can change in 14 years and there might be a treatment available by then. You might find a way to treat it or manage it or minimize its impact on your body. Get in the best possible shape you can to make your immune system as healthy as possible. A completely healthy body can fight off an amazing number of conditions, even some you wouldn't expect, like cancer.

I know you are taking a "bucket list" approach but I think its too early for that. You could still beat it or you might find a cure available in 2025.

As for South America, you might try teaching yourself Spanish or Portugese and getting a job in a SA country as an English teacher. Then you wouldn't have to worry about saving for your trip.

I totally agree with the previous two posters. 10-14 years is a long time so don't give up yet! Considering the speed of scientific advance today, it wouldn't be surprising if a new cure can be found within the next ten years. Think about this: 10 years ago I didn't even know how to use the internet (okay I might be a little slow but that was 2002 in any case), look at what the internet is now! That was still the age of CD players and now look at all these iphones, etc. etc. In 1999 I thought the world was gonna end in 2000, or robots would be running around in the streets once we get to the 21st century. That was only about a decade ago and at that time I thought I wasn't being ridiculous. I know medical research may be slower but hey, what is not possible in the 21st century? So don't give up and think you are sentenced to ***. I know it's easier said than done and I can't imagine myself in your shoes..You are so brave for having thought about it rationally and I'm sorry you have to deal with such hardships. Hope I would do something more helpful but...many many hugs to you!

I am very sorry you are going through this rough time. I could not imagine how you feel. Like others said its good that your thinking what to do with those 10-15 years. You say you want to go to South America which is great! i hope you can reach to that goal or any goal that would be worth it. I hope by the time those years pass by new treatment will be discovered. I can only hope that it comes in time. If i were in that position I would want to see Japan so going somewhere new seems like a great idea. I would probably spend these times with the people I care about and trust most. If you have any hobbies those are always good to get yourself into if you have time. You seem like a strong individual and a very sharp person. I just wish you a happy life even though I don't know you. I care. I hope things will get better for you! hang in there :hugs:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback folks, sorry for the super late reply. Unfortunately as of this moment there is absolutely no cure although some progression is being made but I highly doubt anything close to finding a full fledge cure. Most of the tests are still being done on rodents and human trials rarely if ever occur. Lets see how it goes - I just want to be able to see a few countries and places before I exit, but what's truly depressing is the extreme limited funds I have from which i can barely live paycheck to paycheck. I will be getting a raise in August which will bump to about 34k ish a year so hopefully i might save something till 2013 and can visit peru and see the machu pichu :)

Edited by bold8k

Is there anything tying you to where you are right now? Could you maybe volunteer? There are tons of programs that pay for the lodging and expenses of volunteers. I'm not sure who has stuff in South America, but you should definitely poke around.

I'm sorry to hear about your condition. I agree with the others. I'm not saying you shouldn't make the most of your life, but don't give up hope just yet either.