Sign in to follow this  
Steve P

Hope For Bpd ?

I have been researching BPD and think that I might have it. That has caused me a lot of anxiety because the way I understand it meds don't help. That only years of therapy, which I can't afford. What to do?

Steve, as hard as this may sound but there's really some hope out there...

I am also a BPD fellow sufferer, my experience with medication was pretty time-limited especially since I was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder and clinical depression!

Anyway, as experts say and as what most professionals say about BPD, the primary treatment is therapeutic with different therapies such as DBT, CBT... (especially the former since it was designed solely for BPD!). Treatment with medications is often limited and addressed to some clear symptoms such as impulsiveness, mood-related symptoms, psychotic-like symptoms such as depersonalization...

As for your case, may I tell you that I've been suffering from BPD for 3 years now, and yet, I am not getting any kind of treatment, this is WRONG! But I have my own excuse and conditions, from geographical to cultural and financial issues, however I'd do anything to get any kind of available treatment :(

So what I am trying to say is that I have managed to cope with the least possible harm, it's painful but not impossible, however it's always good to acknowledge that one still suffers from BPD and in-need for a treatment! So if you can't get any possible treatment, read more about the disorder and try to understand yourself more!

PS: I don't know where you come from, but there should be some kind of almost-free or cheap therapy around you, so please try searching!

I hope I was a bit helpful,

r90

Steve, as hard as this may sound but there's really some hope out there...

I am also a BPD fellow sufferer, my experience with medication was pretty time-limited especially since I was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder and clinical depression!

Anyway, as experts say and as what most professionals say about BPD, the primary treatment is therapeutic with different therapies such as DBT, CBT... (especially the former since it was designed solely for BPD!). Treatment with medications is often limited and addressed to some clear symptoms such as impulsiveness, mood-related symptoms, psychotic-like symptoms such as depersonalization...

As for your case, may I tell you that I've been suffering from BPD for 3 years now, and yet, I am not getting any kind of treatment, this is WRONG! But I have my own excuse and conditions, from geographical to cultural and financial issues, however I'd do anything to get any kind of available treatment :(

So what I am trying to say is that I have managed to cope with the least possible harm, it's painful but not impossible, however it's always good to acknowledge that one still suffers from BPD and in-need for a treatment! So if you can't get any possible treatment, read more about the disorder and try to understand yourself more!

PS: I don't know where you come from, but there should be some kind of almost-free or cheap therapy around you, so please try searching!

I hope I was a bit helpful,

r90

Thanks for the support r90. I live in a fairly large city so there are therapy options available, but affording them is another question. And I haven't been able to find any sliding scale type or anything. I take Remeron to sleep and Klonipin for anxiety and it helps some. I have been like this off and on most of my life and I guess I will for the rest of it too. Anyway thanks again for the support.

My friend,

You seem hopeless, I kind of understand that since I also suffer from the same disorder, however you should not be accepting your current situation and it's way healthier if you keep repeating to yourself that the way you're living is unhealthy and wrong, and you deserve a treatment to lead a relatively better life!

Tell me, do you happen to have a formal diagnosis of BPD?

r90

My friend,

You seem hopeless, I kind of understand that since I also suffer from the same disorder, however you should not be accepting your current situation and it's way healthier if you keep repeating to yourself that the way you're living is unhealthy and wrong, and you deserve a treatment to lead a relatively better life!

Tell me, do you happen to have a formal diagnosis of BPD?

r90

No I have been diagnosed with chronic depression and GAD

Then I think it's a good idea to reconsider visiting another pdoc, since if you were to correctly be (maybe) diagnosed with BPD, the suggested medications then would definitely be more helpful than your current ones I guess...

r90

Edited by r90

Hi Steve P

There is definitely hope for those with BPD, I now consider myself as stable, not totally recovered.

The right medication alongside therapy really helped me.

If you can't afford therapy try searching online for DBT skills or even an online CBT programme.

Also as the others have mentioned ensure that you have the correct diagnosis by consulting a professional as there is the danger of Internet diagnosis.

Wishing you well with your journey,

Girly x