Physical Agony

Blueleaf

Does anyone else feel like their depression is a tangible thing? I wake up in the morning and my whole body aches. I have no medical condition that explains it (well...other than the depression). I've seen my doctor a few times and she's run me through a battery of tests. None of which came up conclusive. I almost wish they would have found something. At least then I could have had something to go on. Instead, I just feel like my very soul is in pain.

How do you fight something that just seeps through your very essence and makes you feel just wrong?

Hello Blueleaf,

I suffer from many physical aliments due to my depression. Body aches, headaches and stomach problems.

I find the best thing to do is to get moving and do something. No matter how bad I feel, I always feel better when I'm productive.

I know it's easier to stay in bed and embrace my depression, but I don't allow myself to do that.

I find exercise helps a lot, even though some days I feel I just can't do it.

It's a constant struggle for me to get through the day, but the more I do, the better I feel.

I completely understand this whole body aching feeling. Almost everyday I walk around with this what feels like a total ache in my chest and gut and I also have no 'reason' for this other than my depression. I know what you mean when you say your soul is i pain. That's exactly what it feels like. I have been wondering about this for a while but thought maybe nobody else felt this way. Makes it even harder for me when the people around me tell me that depression isn't real and I just am making it up...I have this physical evidence that I feel.

I do. In my case my "emptiness" is what I feel. I can't describe the feeling in my chest and stomach that won't let me free. I can feel it and I told this to my pdoc before. I thought I was the only one who actually feel it.

When I'm in a deep dark cycle...(like the last 6 days) my body feels heavy. My joints ache, my muscles feel sore and I just feel like I've reached a point beyond being tired. It's times like this that even pretending to be normal isn't working. People ask me if I'm ok and I look unwell. I want to just scream that I'm not ok. I can't be angry at them though, they don't know. At work, how do you explain that the reason you aren't productive is that it took an immense effort just to get out of bed and be here.

I'm sorry...I'm derailing my own post. Yes, other people feel this physical ache. The worst part is that if you've never felt it, you have no idea what its like. I wish I had a visible disability...it would be so much easier...

My depression causes tangible effects due to my bad habits while I am depressed. Sometimes I'd stay in bed too long, not sleep enough, sleep too much, eat too much, eat too little, exercise too much, stay too inactive, etc. The negative physical effects subsides when I get into a more healthy routine. Finding balance is a very difficult thing for me most days but does wonders for the mind and body.

Edited by pinto77

I have really bad anxiety and panic attacks so that in itself if horrible. Always feel like my last panic attack is going to finally **** me. About the aches in depression. Yes, I have felt that. BUT I also attribute my aches to a gluten intolerance that hasn't yet been diagnosed. After I had my gallbladder removed, it caused things to go wrong all of a sudden in my GI system. First, I noticed that I couldn't eat pizza or I was cramping really bad. I thought it was yeast and gave up everything that had yeast in it. The GI symptoms of bad cramping and diarrhea "kind of" stopped but I noticed that some mornings, I felt extremely achy. My doc tested my thyroid, and tested for rheumatoid but all came back negative. Just recently I tried a very strict diet of no refined sugars and refined white flours. Let me tell you that the depression kicked in in the worst way (from giving up sugar) but then it all evened out and then I was not aching all of a sudden. So, I finally got in to see my allergist for food allergy testing (mainly checking for yeast allergy) and the only things I'm allergic to are onions, watermelons, and shellfish. At that time, the allergist also tested for gluten intolerance but it came back in the normal range. Although, I did read that if I wasn't eating a normal diet (including gluten) that the test would be inconclusive or negative. I think that is the case for me. I had still been on that strict diet when he pulled the blood work for the gluten intolerance. After he told me it was normal, I then tried adding back in the gluten and low-and-behold, achy hands and feet again. So, I finally just went gluten free. No more aches. Still dealing with the anxiety (just started Zoloft) but I feel like its getting better day by day. So in reason for telling this story, maybe your aches and depression are diet related. Maybe you should check into gluten intolerance or any kind of intolerance for that matter. Intolerances don't necessarily just cause stomach issues. It causes many different symptoms.Just wanted to give my experience. Best of luck.

Jess

I got home from work yesterday at 6 PM and went straight to bed. I slept until 6 this morning. I was so tired yesterday that my whole body felt raw. I believe I slept last night but waking up this morning felt like I went right back into the swing of it. I litteraly dragged myself out of bed and to work.

The only thing keeping me going right now is the fear of being fired at work. I've already been "gently" advised that I had been taking a few more sick days than average and it may not necessarily look good. So I'm at work, staring at my computer screen...wondering what the hell to do. There is no productivity....no will to keep going...no motivation at all. The worst of it is that I know I CAN do it but because I'm so mired in my pain, I feel useless.