Sign in to follow this  
Frog154

Physical Symptoms

Hi, so I've been suffering with this for a while now, one of my main gripes with the whole thing is suffering from headaches, tension and palpitations, I've literally had them more or less non-stop for 10 years. They've been so bad that I've believed that something has been biologically wrong with me for all this time (and there isn't, I've had many tests done). I'm just wondering, as I begin to sort out the emotional stuff and everything like that (which I believe I have been doing and with some progress I believe) will the physical symptoms start to abate too? I'm not sure if they contribute to my anger/frustration or if the anger and frustration is the cause sometimes and it's really ******* annoying :/

For me the symptoms are many. Body pain and aches are the worst. It's the feeling of physical pain for no reason physical but all reasons mental.

Physical symptoms can be part and parcel with just about any emotion, but can be especially noticeable and disturbing with things like depression, anxiety, irritability, etc. – at least in my experience. Have been told the necessity of exercise, eating right, sleeping right to help with depression and related feelings. The thing is that when I am depressed, there is just not a chance in the world that I am going to go out to enjoy a nice stroll. But have had symptoms all across the body – from gastric distress to headache, to back ache, etc. Sometimes it is also difficult to garden shrub out what the somatic cause is – the depression, etc., or perhaps side effect from a med. And yes, at least for me, they cascade back on one another, each making the other worse. Typically, I start to feel better when a med kicks in, but it is no fun and can be very annoying.

Edited by Between3and26characters

I've had many physical illnesses that relate to depression. It's mostly stress that brings them on. So far, every one of them has been treatable with medication. The 2 most prevalent were the cluster headaches and bleeding ulcers. It took a long period of time for the latter to heal. I've had a 90% stress free life for close to 12 years now. Hopefully, you and your GP can get your physical symptoms under control.

Sheepwoman

Yeah I mean I think I needed to hear they are stress related and a lot of the stress, I believe, is created from my emotions and all the other stuff I've neglected for so long. I'd rather avoid medication if possible but maybe down the line I could try it, it's just good to hear that it's not entirely self-generated so to speak, at least from a physical standpoint

I've gotten godawful headaches from stress and depression since I was about 9, I think its actually pretty common, though.

Having depression, and ESPECIALLY having severe anxiety/panic disorder, I know how your mental/emotional state can affect your physical self allllllllll too well.

I've had just about everything you can think of... But I have to say, the scariest symptom I have EVER endured is when I couldn't seem to get a deep breath or would have shortness of breath every single day, every minute I was awake, for weeks, or even MONTHS, at a time. THAT was PURE hell, I assure you.

Even so, the physical stuff is STILL easier to deal with than the mental/emotional stuff...

I agree with starzett4. Even though the physical pain can kick my butt most days it isn't as bad as the emotional and mental torment of depression. There are some days when getting out of bed is impossible to me the pain is so bad but this only makes my depression worse. Even knowing this I can't bring myself to get up and do something.

I agree with starzett4. Even though the physical pain can kick my butt most days it isn't as bad as the emotional and mental torment of depression. There are some days when getting out of bed is impossible to me the pain is so bad but this only makes my depression worse. Even knowing this I can't bring myself to get up and do something.

Moving around or getting up and about is very difficult when you feel like this. I get morning anxiety (tremors, shakes, neck tightness, fear of leaving the house, afraid to drive anywhere, etc.) I actually have to wait 1 or 2 hours before I start to do anything. I wake up for work two hours early just so I can give it ample time to pass.

Yeah I guess I could count myself lucky in that I get these 3 and these 3 only - Palpitations, headaches and tension (shoulders mainly). The emotional tumult is, I guess really the worst for sure but the headaches and so forth are always there to remind me I'm in trouble even on the days I'm feeling better :(