Sign in to follow this  
Daisy Duke

'hot Thought' Mood Sheets

My therapist gave me these sheets to complete to record feelings, triggers and then to work out the 'hot thought'. Something like - the thought, then what does this say about me if this is true? This is to assist with CBT therapy.

The thing is I feel like a fool filling in these sheets. I am 37 years old and find myself sitting there writing things like 'I'm so fat and ugly', 'I'm so lonely', 'she doesnt like me' etc etc and it makes me feel like I am whining child. I feel embarrassed writing such drivel.

Has anyone else used these sheets?

I know it's a tool and it's like digging to get to the core beliefs but you see so many people with such terrible problems that they live with it makes you feel like a self-centred immature being.

Daisy

Edited by Daisy Duke

No, I haven't used that particular tool. You know, I would put that last paragraph down on your sheet though. However you feel is how you feel. The fact that somebody else is having a better or worse time, has bigger or smaller problems, talks about it or keeps it bottled up, etc. is really immaterial. Your therapy is about you, and you have a right to express how you are feeling.

hi daisy

i had a few sessions of cbt a few years ago, which really helped me. actually, i am trying to get more at the moment, because daily life is so hard. sorry, for rambling. in response to the sheets. i got similar sheets at the time too, and felt like an ***** filling in things, and most of all to do it regularly. but i do believe that it helps and gives focus. i would write stuff like you have mentioned. remember, they are your feelings and how you feel at the time is the important thing, and making a note of them. because perhaps later you might feel different. and getting feed from your cbt councellor with the sheets. and there is no right or wrong way to do that. i think the fact that you are doing it is brilliant, it takes a lot of energy.

hope this message helps a bit and is not too confusing.

mindful

ahhhhh i LOVEEEEEE CBT sheets. they are finally starting to work for me (except this week was kind of a regression...). see, if you keep at it (and it's hard work) you learn to change your negative thoughts by looking at evidence for and against it to see if it's reality or not. then you realize you're not such a horrible person and you were just thinking you and others thought that when they don't really. and then you start to feel better about yourself. it really teaches you to start to love yourself and that gives you the strength to work through things that are ACTUALLY problems. it sounds silly, but just keep doing them. things will change slowly. they are a GREAT help.

Thanks you guys, I will persevere!! Havent done any this week. You have motivated me to carry on with them.

Rachel - you made me laugh out loud with your 'ahhhhh i LOVEEEEEE CBT sheets'. Bless ya.

Daisy

Hi there, Rachel, pardon my intrusion but I think I needed to read something like that, I think things do change but it does seem slow, it's like everything goes around in cycle and things become 'softer' over time. I always think I'm weird or not a nice person for some reason or another but slowly, with the CBT, those reasons are getting less and less and I'm having better days. So yeah daisy, keep at it, once you start noticing those changes then actively want to do it all the time

It's embarrassing yes, and for me,so is having a person who is a few years younger than me (the mental health nurse) listen to all my childish insecurities and even see me cry as I lament having no friends.

But, at the end of the day, who cares as long as it makes it better? I'd rather endure that than spend the rest of my life wishing I was dead and trying to make it happen.

Edited by rag

i try.

really i love helping. it's the only reason i have left.

seriously.

I bet there are other good reasons, think on it, I bet there are :)