Sign in to follow this  
keepintouch

Been In A Rut 7 Years Now.

Hello, I have dealt with problems with depression for about 7 years now. (I am 21 now).

I just don't have the motivation to do things anymore.

I don't care about school and my future and my relationship (or lack of).

I just feel like I am floating in the ocean of life and not caring where it takes me.

I have been on medication for years now and it makes me feel better but not feel more motivated to accomplish things.

What can I do? I miss actually LIVING life you know.

KiT

Hey KiT,

Welcome to DF. I can relate to your feelings. You can give yourself small goals and work through those. Be kind to yourself and take it one day at a time.

What medication have you been on? Do you take therapy too?

You are not alone ....... Take care,

Hi KIT

My questions are the same as addict1968 - do you have support like a therapist or regular visits to the GP/psychiatrist? I have suffered depression on and off for years but with support it often goes so I am in remission. Then stressers get too much and I relapse.

If you have been suffering with no respite for seven years that must be so hard.

Best wishes

Daisy Duke

Keepintouch,

I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing problems with depression and motivation. It's always hard to know for sure what might help someone suffering from depression and problems with motivation, but I tend to think that the more treatment strategies you try, the better your odds will be of reducing or eliminating your feelings of depression. You mentioned medication, and I do think that medication can be very helpful when it comes to depression, but there are other treatment approaches that might help. Psychotherapy and exercise have both been shown to be helpful treatments for depression, and other approaches such as meditation, acupuncture, and light therapy may also be helpful. Another option that I think is worth exploring is dietary supplements. Some dietary supplements can't be taken with medications, so I would definitely check with your doctor before trying any supplements, but supplements like St. John's Wort, SAM-e, and fish oil can sometimes boost mood. I can't say in advance how helpful you might find any of the treatment approaches that I mentioned here, but I think that the more approaches you try, the better off you'll likely be.

You might also want to consider talking with your prescribing doctor about your medication to weigh whether or not it might be best to try making an adjustment. Sometimes trying a different dose or even a different medication can make a difference in the way that you feel, but then again, there are times when medications can only do so much and when other treatment strategies should be employed in conjunction with medications to bring about the desired change.

So, to sum things up, I'd recommend trying something different treatment wise and, ideally, trying as many different treatment approaches as possible. Getting to the point that you want to get to probably won't be easy, and it probably won't happen overnight, but I'd be hopeful that it can happen. Good luck.

Tomatheus

I am glad so many people here are so welcoming.

Right now I am now Prozac and yeah I do go see a therapist. I have seen one for more than a year now.

I have skipped around medicine, starting with Welbutrin and going to Prozac and one more.

I have tried St. John's Wort and it was alright.

I hear that exercise is good but I just can't seem to muster up the motivation to do it.

I am doing pretty poorly in school now and I just want things go back to the way they were when I was not depressed, but to me it just feels like wishful thinking.

I have a lot of finacial problems as well and this is only aggrivating the problem.

KiT

Hello, I have dealt with problems with depression for about 7 years now. (I am 21 now).

I just don't have the motivation to do things anymore.

I don't care about school and my future and my relationship (or lack of).

I just feel like I am floating in the ocean of life and not caring where it takes me.

I have been on medication for years now and it makes me feel better but not feel more motivated to accomplish things.

What can I do? I miss actually LIVING life you know.

KiT

I can relate to this post 100%. I didn't know there was anyone out there going through exact same things as I am right now. I am 21 too! I have also been in a rut for 7 years. Everything you wrote is exactly how I feel like down to a T.

One thing that I have tried and has given me motivation (temporarily) is a support group. I was part of an an Intensive Outpatient Treatment program and for the 3+ weeks I was there, I started to remember myself again (you know before all of the going downhill started). I honestly never thought I could be in a group like that and talk about how I felt but it helped me so much, more than anything had in years.. I have since had my ups and downs but I learned a lot about myself and how to deal with my depression. I had one full month of okay days (some even great). I have now since fallen back a little and and thats wat brought me back to this site. I had no intention of posting anything until I read what you wrote and realized I could say those exact same words to describe myself and my situation. I am hardly a positive person especially after the past few weeks, but i will always be grateful for the time I had with that group.

Right now I am now Prozac and yeah I do go see a therapist. I have seen one for more than a year now.

I have skipped around medicine, starting with Welbutrin and going to Prozac and one more.

I hear that exercise is good but I just can't seem to muster up the motivation to do it.

I am doing pretty poorly in school now and I just want things go back to the way they were when I was not depressed, but to me it just feels like wishful thinking.

I have a lot of finacial problems as well and this is only aggrivating the problem.

KiT

This is so weird! I was also on Welbutrin ( and a bunch of others) and ended up on Prozac (it is the only one that really "works" for me) I also tried St. John's Wort too. As for wishful thinking, I too do that all the time. Unfortunately, things will never go back to how they were. Times have changed, people have changed, and you have changed just as I have. All we can really hope for is that the future will be different, and even though it won't be exactly the way it was, it can still be wonderful (maybe even bettter of you think about it because of all of the knowledge gained from this experience). Though it is very hard to be patient and believing that it will come.

Edited by liftmeupletmego

Hey liftmeup, thanks for the kind words.

I'm glad that people like us can communicate over the internet.

I'm sure we have both had our struggles and things.

I have actually tried group as well. I did it for about 4 months and I was too shy so I felt that it didn't benefit me as much.

But since you seem to be a big believer in it then maybe I will try it again.

What you said about the past is 100% true. No matter how hard I try, the past is the past and I can't do anything about it.

My only concern is will my future be brighter or will my life take a turn for the worst?

Sometimes I feel like things will only get worse.

KiT

KiT

KiT,

It definitely sound like, for the most part, you seem to be doing a lot of the things that you should be doing to combat your depression. I know that it can be frustrating when medications, therapy, St. John's Wort, and other treatments don't work or only work so well. The only thing that I can suggest is that you keep trying anything that you think might help give you the boost that you need. I can't guarantee that you'll return to the way that you felt before the onset of your depressive symptoms, but I would keep your eyes open for treatment strategies that might prove to be beneficial. At least that's what I've been doing. Will it pay off? I'm not sure, but I think it's worth sticking around in case the improvement that I need is just around the corner.

Tomatheus

KiT

KiT,

It definitely sound like, for the most part, you seem to be doing a lot of the things that you should be doing to combat your depression. I know that it can be frustrating when medications, therapy, St. John's Wort, and other treatments don't work or only work so well. The only thing that I can suggest is that you keep trying anything that you think might help give you the boost that you need. I can't guarantee that you'll return to the way that you felt before the onset of your depressive symptoms, but I would keep your eyes open for treatment strategies that might prove to be beneficial. At least that's what I've been doing. Will it pay off? I'm not sure, but I think it's worth sticking around in case the improvement that I need is just around the corner.

Tomatheus

Thanks Tomatheus, your words are very encouraging.

I think i will do what you suggested and weigh my options out. Maybe something will work out.

The only thing I'm afraid of is having this depression as a crutch for the rest of my life.

I want to just enjoy life for once you know.