Sign in to follow this  
mommell

Cymbalta - How Long Should It Take To Adjust To This Med?

Sorry to hear you're feeling so weird Mommell. I found that the weirdness subsided after three weeks on 30mg but has been back for the last week I've been on 60mg. I'm hoping that in another two weeks this will subside too. I know you've been on 30mg for a month but maybe it will take an extra couple of weeks for you to adjust? I think it's worth holding on another week or two just to find out, especially as you found it hard to get on with other antidepressants.

Px

Are you feeling less depressed since being on Cymbalta? I ask because I go up and down. If I keep busy and have plans every day, I'm much better. I fell over my doggie steps yesterday, and today I cancelled out my routine plans (gym and an appt). I don't know if it was the shock of the fall (I fell on both my knees, one of which is a knee replacement. I'm not hurting today, just black and blue) or what, but today was a real downer, just staying at home. I called my Dr., and he said that because of the fall, he wanted to wait until I see him on Saturday to perhaps make some change in my meds. Maybe he can add something that will boost the Cymbalta. I really appreciate your input.

Mommell

For me, the depression took a little bit longer to start subsiding. I could notice a subtle difference in the anxiety within a couple of weeks but like I said the depression was different. I would say it took a good 6 weeks before I started feeling myself again.

Hi Mommell, I've been on Cymbalta for just over four weeks now and my depression is much better. I'm still really foggy since I increased my dose last week but the depressive feelings that were bothering me even as late as last week have almost all dispersed. The anxiety is still a problem though, but then again anxiety has always been a bigger problem for me than depression.

Are you feeling less depressed since being on Cymbalta? I ask because I go up and down. If I keep busy and have plans every day, I'm much better. I fell over my doggie steps yesterday, and today I cancelled out my routine plans (gym and an appt). I don't know if it was the shock of the fall (I fell on both my knees, one of which is a knee replacement. I'm not hurting today, just black and blue) or what, but today was a real downer, just staying at home. I called my Dr., and he said that because of the fall, he wanted to wait until I see him on Saturday to perhaps make some change in my meds. Maybe he can add something that will boost the Cymbalta. I really appreciate your input.

Mommell

Mommell

Sorry to hear of your fall. I am currently taking Cymbalta at 90mg all in the morning. When I was on Paxil I had bad coordination and that was one of the main reasons I quit the drug. Getting back to Cymbalta I do have a slight upset in my balance when standing on one foot (as in yoga). I am not sure if this is a result of the drug or something else but either way I judge the benefits of Cymbalta to outweigh any current side effects after being on the drug for 2 years. I do still have depressed episodes but I am able to completely handle them now. Most of the time I am better than "normal". I'm not sure if Cymbalta dosage is related to body weight or not but depending on your weight that might have some influence on your dose. I weight about 83.5 kg. For some reason I seem to have a high resistance to most drugs and usually end up on the "higher" dose. One thing I have felt, the longer I've been on Cymbalta the more normal I feel. When I went from 60 mgs to 90 mgs I felt a bit strange again but that only lasted about 3 weeks. Good luck at your next appointment! I see my shrink in one month and look forward to informing him I feel great, I hope you are able to do the same soon.

I can't tell you how much I wish I could say that to my shrink. Poor guy, we've tried so many different ADs, and so far, this is the only one that didn't make me feel sick. I probably mentioned that I started on 20 mg and took a nose dive. I went to 30 mg, and at first I felt better (placebo effect?) Now I'm low again. I'll see him tomorrow and maybe he can add something to boost the Cymbalta.

Thanks a lot for your encouragement.

Mommell

Thanks, Pippin12 (or is it Px?)

I feel more anxious today about seeing him than I usually do. It's like this week has been sort of a disaster. A fall (not hurt, thank G-d), then a very uncomfortable heart test; then, yesterday I was told that to correct a painful eye problem, I have to have another (the fourth) surgery on that same eye. I don't know how Cymbalta or any other med can make me feel better. This is tough. I really like my Dr., and I trust him, but he can't change reality. Sorry to complain.

Regards, Mommell (Carolyn)

It's okay to complain, Mommell. This is a hard time to go through, but I would try not to give up. Unfortunately, we cannot stop the other crummy things that may come up during this time, which seem exacerbated while trying a new medication. Maybe your MD will supplement the Cymbalta with something else like Abilify.

Hang in there!

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

I saw my doctor today and he's going to increase Cymbalta to 40 mg. It might take at least ten days before I get it mail order from my insurance company. MaddieLouise, you sound so upbeat; is that because you have conquered your depression? I really appreciate all the replies I've gotten and your generous support.

Can you tell me a little about your journey?

Regards, Mommell

I forgot to add Pippen12 in my last post. Are you adjusting to your medication? It sounds like you are. What dosage do you take?

Thanks for "being there" for others. I pray I'll get to the point where I'll respond to someone else in need.

Regards, Mommell

Hi mommell, I wish you the best of luck with your increased dosage. I am on 90 (the highest I have ever been on) and was leery about it at first but have never felt better. So maybe bumping it up to 40 is just what you need. Take care.

Hi Mommell, really sorry to hear you're going through such a difficult time. Sounds like you have a lot of very trying stuff going on. Hang in there.

Yes I'm adjusting well to the Cymbalta. I started out on 30mg for the first 3 weeks (I think) and now I'm up to 60mg taken in split doses of 30mg each. I've been on 60mg for the last fortnight. I'm finding that all the side effects are wearing off nicely now, although things did get worse again when my dose was increased. I agree that an increase to 40mg might really help - I know that 30mg just wasn't doing it for me. Good luck!

Pip x

Hi, Pip x, (can I call you that?)

It may be a week before I start 40 mg, because my Psych had to order it through my mail order insurance plan. When I bought it at the Rx, it cost me almost $200 for one month's supply. Eventually, my mail order company sent me back 80% of that, but putting it out is tough.

Sounds like you're getting out of the woods...congratulations! Hope I can join you soon. Have a good day.

Mommell

Anybody know how to add "friends"? And what does that really mean? Thanks ahead of time.

Mommell

Hi Mommell

You just go to the members profile by clicking on their name and press the add as friend button. I guess adding friends means different things to different people.

Trace

Hi, Pip,

Thanks for asking. Today hasn't been a very good day. I cancelled two things I was supposed to do and just wanted to stay in bed. My Dr. just faxed an increase in Cymbalta (to 40mg)to my mail order pharmacy, and I'm frightened to start taking it. I have extra 20mg pills left over from before I started taking 30 mg, and the Dr. said to take two of them starting tomorrow. As much as I want to get better, I hate going through the adjustment side effects of an increase in my meds. I think I'm just afraid of everything right now. Evenings are so much better for me, maybe because I don't HAVE to do anything.

When I get my prescriptions at my local pharmacy, it costs me a fortune. $151.00 for 30 20mg pills of Cymbalta. When it comes from mail order, it's so much less. Do you have a mail order pharmacy or do you have to pay the higher price? Eventually, my mail order Rx reimburses me about 80% of what I put out, but it's hard to pay up front.

Anyway, you got more information than you wanted, I'm sure.

Take care, Mommell

Hi Mommell, really sorry to hear you've had such a bad day. Please don't be scared of the increase in meds though - I found that the side effects of going from 30 to 60mg were less than going from 0 to 30mg if you see what I mean. So you might be pleasantly surprised, you never know.

I live in the UK where we have the National Health Service fortunately so I don't have to pay anything for my meds. I don't think I would be able to afford Cymbalta otherwise.

Hang on in there hun, hope you have a better day today and good luck with your dose increase

best wishes

Pip

Hi mommell, I agree with Pippin on increasing the dosage. Each time I increased I had a very minor side effects that went away within a couple of days or so. I pay about $100 a month for my prescription (90mg) thanks to my insurance covering a portion. It's still expensive but it's worth it to feel better. Good luck mommell and keep us posted!

Thanks, Junebug 01 and Pip,

I started yesterday with two 20mg Cymbalta and yesterday was okay. Today, I started to feel like a space cadet. Had my appt. with my Psych and he could really tell I was spacey, so he suggested I take one 20mg in a.m. and one at night. I'll try that tomorrow. Evenings and nighttime are very good for me. It's the mornings that are tough (don't want to get out of bed and keep watching the clock). The dr. (and I agree) believes it's because it was morning when I called my very depressed daughter (which I did every day) and she told me she didn't want to live anymore. I lost contact over the phone and hung up and called 911. I asked them to send a patrol car to her apt. (no siren, please) and I'd meet them there, in order to take her to the hospital at UCLA. They got there before I did and found her lifeless. That was Xmas eve morning, 2009. I must have blocked it out for over a year and felt no pain (emotional). Then on her birthday in 2011, I fell apart. That's my story. Maybe it's not appropriate for this forum, but I had to get it out. Thanks for your wonderful support.

Grateful for your caring messages.

Mommell

That's such a tragic story Mommell. I am so sorry for your loss. I had a friend commit suicide and witnessed the devastation that it caused. My heart goes out to you. Re the meds, splitting the dose is a really good idea. I take 60mg as split doses of 30mg each and find the side effects much lass than 60mg all in one go. Best wishes,

Pip

Hi, Pip,

Your reassurance is very welcome; thanks. You're rather new to this forum, as am I, and I am wondering how you're getting along. Is there another forum you post on, too? I'd like to follow your messages and if I can ever be of emotional help to you, it would be my privilege.

Mommell

Hi, Pip,

Your reassurance is very welcome; thanks. You're rather new to this forum, as am I, and I am wondering how you're getting along. Is there another forum you post on, too? I'd like to follow your messages and if I can ever be of emotional help to you, it would be my privilege.

Mommell

What a lovely post! I've sent you a PM Mommell.

Hugs

Pip