How do I explain what depression is to my friends? I want them to understand what is going on in my mind. I want them to understand that I'm not just making things up, but that I really am sick. I don't plan on telling all of my friends, just my closest few friends, I just don't know how to go about discussing it with them, and trying not to seem like a burden or pest when I do so.

It can be very difficult being open about it. I know exactly how you feel. I have a fear of talking about it because I fell no one should be bothered with my personal issues or I don't want them to think I'm just crying for attention. But if they really are your close friends, hopefully, they will be interested in knowing and willing to listen. Maybe you should let them know you are interested in talking to them about something serious or important and set up a specific place and time that works for you and them. That way you know it's a mutual meeting time, and you have no reason to feel like you are being a "pest," which you are not being at all. Trust me.

Hopefully, other people can give you better advice than me. I haven't really told my friends. I know one of them is aware of it, but we haven't really talked about it. And I really want to talk about it to my friends. We shouldn't be alone in this. Best of Wishes!

Hi and Welcome to DF TheNewFaceOfFailure

It is not easy to tell others and get them to understand as many people who have never suffered from depression just can't understand it. If you want to tell your friends you may want to print out information on depression for them, it may help them to have a better understanding that it is an illness.

Please make yourself feel at home.

Trace

This is very difficult because of the stigma of depression. But if you explain it from a physical, biological point of view, people are able to grasp it better if they've never experienced it. Depression is an illness in which certain neurotransmitters are not at correct functioning levels. etc.

Well I told one friend. It went well. I can talk about it pretty easy with her now but I do wish I didn't told my friend because it puts a strain on our friendship :( Its all we seem to talk about now, it feels so free to talk about it with her, she is the first one ever I can talk to so open about my issues so for some reason I always seem to do it now.. All my other friends I haven't told and I just have fun with them.. With her I always have deep talks untill I cry. She's there for me but I feel it's all our friendship is about now.. So yeah, I don't really have advice.. Just make sure it's not all you talk about.. I feel like a burden to her but a lot of the times I can't help myself to bring it up because I just feel so low :(