Does There Have To Be A Reason?

dusk25

Hi dusk,

I have no clue why my depression started and why I have reached this low. I have recently started meds (5weeks or so) and will start therapy soon. My psychiatrist feels I will be able to analyze myself better through therapy - by telling the therapist everything and not hiding anything. So maybe I will know why. I did have issues as a kid but then had been living a great life (am 43 now) until about 18 months ago when I started feeling depressed - burntout feeling.

My pdoc tomd me several times that there´s no really need to be a reason to have depression- especially because I constantly tell him that I feel guilty because I don´t really have a reason to be so. I struggle over the years with this guilt. In reality, for some of us, it is mainly a brain imbalance. I was pushed that way too by some awful therapist I saw in the past. My pdoc is the best.

Any doctor should know that clinical depression is a chemical imbalance that may or not be triggered by outside influences. You don't "have" to have a reason for being depressed and honestly, your doctor saying that to you is very counter productive. I'm not bad mouthing your physician or the medical profession but it makes me a little frustrated for you that that was the answer they gave you. I hope that you get the help that your reaching out for!

There doesn't necessarily have to be a reason to be depressed, but I would say most of the time there is some reason, be it the way we are perceiving our situations, or the way we are unconsciously thinking about things. The thing is alot of the time we are simply unaware of what's causing it, and the doctors should know that, and help you to figure out what's causing it, be it a chemical imbalance, or something else.

Chemical imbalance....I can't believe that your doctors wouldn't take that into consideration. What about all of the people who have suffered for all of their lives from childhood? Grrr....doctors frustrate me to no end sometimes.

Hi dusk25,

There really doesn't have to be a reason, and i get tired of doctors telling me that too. I've been depressed on and off (mostly on) since I was ten years old. Sometimes there is a reason and other times it just comes over me like the flu. I think that is true for many with chronic depression as well.

Hi, dusk. I hate to say it, but you might need a new doctor. There may be a reason for your depression buried so deep you can't realize it, but it's the point of treatment to help you get there in a constructive manner, not prod you like it seem they're doing. Also, it could be chemical which means there is in fact no reason you could possibly identify and again, that this doesn't seem to have occurred to them makes me think you need a new doctor.

After my first session with my former therapist she told me that, in my case, my depression is probably due to a chemical imbalance. IMHO, I think depression could be situational and/or chemical. In my case, I personally think I'm hit with both.

Depression can be caused by genetic and enviornmental factors.

I have a long history of family depression, dating back to my great grandmother.

I would advise you to find a new doctor, who can treat you for a possible chemical imbalance.

All I know is that when I am not depressed the things that usually bother me don't, the self-hatred is non existent etc. So sometimes I have trouble believing that these things are causing my depression. Yes, I have negative and faulty thinking patterns, but only when I'm depressed. It makes no sense that I can suddenly start loving life a day after being unable to function only to return to a depressed state again the next day. There must be a biological reason.

I know I have a chemical imbalance that probably involves Dopamine, and maybe you have one too? It all depends on the person I think. I think for a long time I would get depressed over literately nothing at all. I was just always down for no reason.

I think for me, one of the reasons for my treatment-resistant depression is that I have suffered from anxiety my whole life without getting help until fairly recently. I was told by my therapist AND pdoc that if anxiety is not treated it can eventually turn into depression. Though, I truly have no reason to be so depressed and for such a long length of time-over two years now. NOTHING works for me. The only bad thing in my life IS depression. There is situational depression and chemical depression. Situational depression occurs because of something-like a death, for instance. Chemical depression just is-there are chemicals-or lack of chemicals in your brain that make you depressed for no reason. It's just how some brains are wired. For me, you eventually get over the situational depression but chemical depression? Forget it.....it does not go away for me. I have absolutely no reason to be depressed. I just am.

• 3 months later...

Hi dusk

There are many people that are depressed without a reason. I hope that many of them answer your topic.

Trace

There is always a reason for depression. The reason just might not be evident. It could be situational, it could be hormonal, who knows?

For me, it seems like the "for no reason" sadness got significant better once I was properly medicated. I still had plenty of depression to deal with, but at least I could usually come up with a plausible explanation. Prozac works pretty well for me, but everyone's different, and it can take a long time to find the medicine that's right for you.

For me, it seems like the "for no reason" sadness got significant better once I was properly medicated. I still had plenty of depression to deal with, but at least I could usually come up with a plausible explanation. Prozac works pretty well for me, but everyone's different, and it can take a long time to find the medicine that's right for you.

With me, it is situational, developmental and hormonal. I'm an insulin dependent diabetic, who has a lot of stress in my life (I've been unemployed for over a year, and living with a brother, who I wonder if he even understands what I go through), and was just diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. Antidepressants and I do not get along, due to the diabetes. Being unemployed for over a year, and having a developmental disability does not help.