Sign in to follow this  
The Silent One

Need Help Finding A Support Group

I have been looking for a depression support group that meets close to my area but I am having a lot of difficulties. Can anybody help me out? Can anybody give me tips on how to find them or maybe somebody who knows where I can find this information? I've been looking for ages. I live in western PA. PM me for more info. I would really appreciate any help that anybody can give me.

Hi "The_Silent_One,

I do not live in PA but did a quick search using Google and the following words, "depression support group in Western Pensylvania." You have probably already done similar searches. What I was thinking is that you call some of the numbers, clinics, and see if there are any support groups. Support groups often meet in hospitals. I've been to a few and they are often run or set up by associated counselors. Sometimes they will have an ongoing group or special series.

Another kind of out there suggestion would be to start taking psychology classes. I took a "Women's psychology" class and it helped me immensely...The things I learned there will help me the rest of my life.

Hoping you find what you need. Keep coming back and talking, as you know this is a great place to vent and talk and give and receive feedback.

Another organization that facilitates support groups for people suffering from depression is the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA). The organization has chapters throughout the U.S., and you can find out whether or not they have a chapter in Western Pennsylvania by checking out their Web site. If you'd like, you can PM me for a link to the DBSA Web site, or you should be able to find it easily using Google.

Tomatheus

Check with your local hospital or local psych hospital as they may be able to help you locate a support group. Newspapers often have a list of variious support groups in that city. Non-profit agencies can also have groups or can give you a list of groups in your city. Those are some places you can start. If there's a NAMI office in your city, they often have groups that you can join.

Sheepwoman