Sign in to follow this  
Football305

Which Ad Should I Try Next For Depression?

Hi everyone, im hoping for some advice.

I suffer from MDD (major depressive disorder).

I have tried many Anti-Depressants, with very little if any improvement.

So far ive tried:

Remeron up to 30mg - did absolutely nothing

Bupropion up to 300mg - did absolutely nothing

Seroquel XR up to 400mg - did absolutely nothing

Saphris up to 20mg - helped alot at first, but then stopped working.

Celexa up to 40mg - helped some, but after several months its plateaued

So now, which medication should i try next? Which would be the most likely to work and less likely to give me side-effects?

My doctor basically goes with whatever i suggest, so any input here will be alot of help, thanks alot in advance.

Well, opinions only, obviously, but have you tried an SNRI yet, like Effexor or Cymbalta? They are different than SSRIs. You might want to do some research on them. I don't know anything about Saphris. How long have you been on each one (besides the Celexa which you said was several months)? Some people need combos or different types of meds, like mood stabilizers. Are you in therapy? Sometimes no amount of meds will really help unless you also have some kind of therapy treatment.

You might want to check out the Posting Asking and Sharing room or the Other Depression and Anxiety Meds room. There is a lot of info in there.

I have tried as many or more ADs and finally ended up on Cymbalta. It works well for me and has minimal side effects. The sexual side effects have tended to diminish over time (2 years) and are not even bothersome now. Good luck.

There is Abilify, Lexapro, Prozac, Effexor, Zoloft, and Paxil and an array of others on the market you might want to ask your doctor about. We have more information on these in the med forums. You can read about some of the experiences of others, but remember meds effect us all differently so you'll have to try it to know whether it will work for you.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt

Hi,

I have been on many of these meds over

the years and have found that the best

thing for me is a combination of them. My

current combo is zoloft, abilify and neurontin

(mood stabilizer) and I feel the best I have

in years. I hope you find something that

works for you soon,

best wishes,

starr

Nardil or Parnate(MAOI class) were designed for resistant depression . if you are having no luck with SSRI\SNRI then talk to your pdc about trying Nardil or Parnate.

good luck

Barak

What about Wellbutrin? I haven't heard a bad thing about it. It helps you focus and is an antidepressant. It is used to treat ADD and depression, and I'm not sure if it is used to treat depression alone without ADD. I think it's a stimulant, but, you could ask your dr. and look into it. Just a thought, though. If it is used to treat Depression, it might be a good change if so many of the other medicines aren't working.

What about Wellbutrin? I haven't heard a bad thing about it. It helps you focus and is an antidepressant. It is used to treat ADD and depression, and I'm not sure if it is used to treat depression alone without ADD. I think it's a stimulant, but, you could ask your dr. and look into it. Just a thought, though. If it is used to treat Depression, it might be a good change if so many of the other medicines aren't working.

Grace. My doc won't put me on Wellbutrin because he feels it would make me nervous or more anxious.