I Lied To My Doctor

allalone6

not sure why. I know she cant help me unless i am honest. I guess i just wanted to get in and out. I was only there for a follow up appt to get more refills on meds. Shes my regular doctor...so she knows my history. She ask how are things are at home, i say fine (they kinda are) she asks me how are things with my boss (she knew there was an issue), i say fine, even though its far from it. I just didnt want to be bothered with discussing it. its not like she can fix it. my only solution around teh problem is to quit which i dont want to do.

I could of probably used a dosage upping. but like i said...just wanted in and out. i know im only hurting myself. but it is what it is. at least im taking the meds i currently have even if they dont truly take care of it all.

(((allalone6)))

I always say I am fine at my Phychiatrist appointment. Why? Because I don't like to talk to people and I am scared and shy.

This next appointment I will make things different. I have written a note to my phychiatrist that tells him how I am feeling (really feeling) not ok.

Maybe you should write a note to your doc and take it to them, then talk to the nurse about upping your dosage?

I don't lie, but I have committed the "lie of ommission" on occasion when I wanted to discuss something it was clear we were heading down another alley. I know I sound like a broken record personifying depression as "creature" but it is as though the creature is stopping you from saying it's there because then the doctor will come after it.

But honestly, if your doctor is any good, they know you're lying and will come back to it again and again and again until you're finally honest. It's the only way they can help you and the only way you can help yourself.

this is just my regular primary care doctor...no psychiatrist or anything. She sees me every 3 months so im sure its impossible for her know im lying. although i constantly said i was fine for years and then she got the wonderful call from the mental hospital telling them i was there.

i dont like talking face to face. couldnt even do it when i had friends that asked me how i was. i dont think i could even be in the room if i gave her a letter. i wouldnt want to sit there and watch her read then ask me questions.

i know...not helping myself...but it is what it is. im not strong and i let it win.

this is just my regular primary care doctor...no psychiatrist or anything. She sees me every 3 months so im sure its impossible for her know im lying. although i constantly said i was fine for years and then she got the wonderful call from the mental hospital telling them i was there.

i dont like talking face to face. couldnt even do it when i had friends that asked me how i was. i dont think i could even be in the room if i gave her a letter. i wouldnt want to sit there and watch her read then ask me questions.

i know...not helping myself...but it is what it is. im not strong and i let it win.

It's very very hard. I was in therapy years ago, but when my depression overtook me again, it took me weeks to make the call to go back. You just have to reach the point where you decide feeling badly is worse than your fear. I think you're inching your way there because you're telling us here now. Good luck.

(((Allalone6)))

I can relate to your fears. For years I have avoided going to a psychiatrist. Found this forum and everyone here encouraged me to visit a psych and finally I did meet my psych. I have had a couple of sessions with him - based on my experiences he has adjusted my meds and I now have hope of recovery. I am still struggling but am now on meds and have hope now - something that I had lost before - so don't lose hope ....

Try sending an e-mail to her if you don't want to hand in the letter. Help yourself and be kind to yourself.

Take care,