Sign in to follow this  
Acrowley

I Did It

Hi everyone. This is just a post to tell you people that I told my school counsellor about my depression. I'm talking to my parents with her tomorrow. So, yeah, that's about it. Just felt like telling someone.

Hi everyone. This is just a post to tell you people that I told my school counsellor about my depression. I'm talking to my parents with her tomorrow. So, yeah, that's about it. Just felt like telling someone.

Brilliant. Getting it out in the open is the BEST thing you could have done - nice one!

Thanks for all the responses <3 I'm not happy with it at all at the moment, but maybe I'll feel better when I get used to it. Thanks everyone

Just have in your head what you want to say to your folks before the meeting. You dont want to come out of it with them thinking its just a phase or anything, so be brutally honest with your feelings and what you're going through. The more open you are with those you trust, the more they can support you, Good luck dude!

Acrowley, good for you for taking such a difficult step. I know you are not looking forward to it, and it may be upsetting for both you and your parents, but it will be worth it if you can start to feel better. That is what matters, and all your parents want for you is to be healthy, and that includes mental/emotional health. Best of luck, M of P

Hi everyone, and thanks for the support. Just thought I'd put a quick update here. So we went to the meeting this morning, then my doctor. I got a number for a psychologist, who I'll be seeing soon. I really hated talking to so many people, but I know it's for the best. My only problem was that I think I sugar-coated how I feel when I was talking. At other points I outright lied, like when they asked did I see a point to living, etc. They seemed to put how I feel down to being a teenager and not playing sports. Which I hate. I'm going to try admit to the psychologist how bad it really is. Thanks again everyone.

It is good that you tried. You did the best you could at the time.

Let you psychologist know how you really feel or they will not be able to help you.

Good Luck!

You made the effort and that is so huge! Good for you!

As you say, you can try to be more forthcoming with the next appointment. I'm very happy that you're starting to open up at all, it can be very hard to do that.

Keep the updates coming! You are inspiring me, as I have to get used to new doctors in my new city. You're being brave and I am reading this thinking, okay I can do that too.

Great job, I am proud of you and I say that as a parent. Just remember to be very honest so you can start your life. Your young and you need to wake up each day embracing the day. You have certainly made the first step.

I'm going to try admit to the psychologist how bad it really is.

Honestly, don't just try - do it. It's important. They wont judge you, or think you're being dramatic - this is what professionals deal with everyday, and they can only help if they know exactly what's going in. Even if you cant be 100% honest with your folks, make sure you are with the medical folk. Please.

I'm going to try admit to the psychologist how bad it really is.

Honestly, don't just try - do it. It's important. They wont judge you, or think you're being dramatic - this is what professionals deal with everyday, and they can only help if they know exactly what's going in. Even if you cant be 100% honest with your folks, make sure you are with the medical folk. Please.

I think I will. But, saying that, I had full intentions of telling the doctor how I felt, same with my school counsellor. But when I actually start talking, my mind just goes blank, and I can't express the things in my head in words. Then they offer an incorrect version of what I feel, and I agree for some reason. Then I feel really bad about lying afterwards. But, I think, with the psychologist, I can be honest and open, because if I mess things up w/ her I can just find a different psychologist, and I know that it's her job to deal with this, so I won't feel like a burden. Hopefully :S Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support.

Schmooey- How about a deal- you stick things out with the new doctors, and I'll be completely honest w/ my psychologist. Deal??? :) Good luck

I think I will. But, saying that, I had full intentions of telling the doctor how I felt, same with my school counsellor. But when I actually start talking, my mind just goes blank, and I can't express the things in my head in words. Then they offer an incorrect version of what I feel, and I agree for some reason. Then I feel really bad about lying afterwards.

You know what might be a good idea? Write it down.

Get your feelings about everything on paper - how you REALLY feel. Just write it down. A page, two pages, it doesnt matter. Don't hold back. That way, you can just hand the note to the psychologist when youfirst meet them, let them read it, and then take the conversation from there. It wont be unusual to them, and you wont look strange for doing so.

I think this is actually a great idea and could really help.

Get your feelings about everything on paper - how you REALLY feel. Just write it down. A page, two pages, it doesnt matter. Don't hold back. That way, you can just hand the note to the psychologist when youfirst meet them, let them read it, and then take the conversation from there. It wont be unusual to them, and you wont look strange for doing so.

that is an AWESOME idea, probably for many of us here. thanks for the idea.

Schmooey- How about a deal- you stick things out with the new doctors, and I'll be completely honest w/ my psychologist. Deal??? :) Good luck

Sounds like a scary but good deal for both of us! I don't have my first appointment until April 12 but I will carry your courage in with me to bolster mine!

I agree with writing things down. I have started journaling again to take that with me to the doc. I don't think I could be lucid enough to share all I need to during my allocated time. It'll be terrifying to hand the book over but I know I need to do it.

Thanks for being there acrowley!

Schmooey-I don't know that it's courage or simply passive acceptance, and I don't know that I've been here for you (although I am if you ever want to talk). I'm not sure when I'm getting my appointment. I found out today that I have a slight case of anemia, which would help aggravate depression. Also, (without wanting to sound big-headed) I was diagnosed as "gifted" as a child, which some people believe leads to existential depression. Maybe they are causing how I feel, but I feel like it is something more. They fail to explain most of how I feel. I don't have an appointment made yet, I'll post it here when I get it.

Also, I like your location. Can I go too?? :)