Sign in to follow this  
Forum Admin

Nonpharmacologic Interventions For Treatment-Resistant Depression In Adults

Research Review - Final – Sept. 23, 2011

Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Treatment-Resistant Depression in Adults

This final research review is available in PDF (5.0 MB) form only. Persons using assistive technology may not be able to fully access information in this file. A version of this report that is compliant with assistive technology devices is also available. For additional assistance, please contact .

~Lindsay

Source:

Agency For Healthcare Research and Quality

UPDATED LINK TO DOCS, THANK YOU James from NZ:

It seems like the original download link has stopped working. Here's a new link to the same pdf.

https://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/treatment-resistant-depression_research.pdf

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
add updated link

Hello...

I can not view this Post however I am very interested in a nonpharm treatment for TRD.

I'm new here, again (after a few years of being too depressed to get internet back up and running after a move), and the treatment I am trying to get is DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION, or DBS.

Dr Helen Mayberg of Emory U spearheaded the research. Sorry if this is covered in another area. I am so depressed/demented that I forgot to ck the other sections first. Can't even remember how to do this as I have been offline for so long.

Please reply w/ any info re/ DBS real results. Thank's in advance!

BTW...DEPRESSION FORUM...I've been trying to register for over 2 weeks. Many, many, many times I was refused even though I answered the security questions correctly. IT WAS SO VERY DEPRESSING DF. Actually cruel.

Please, PLEASE, fix this problem for others who are trying to register in the future.

Truly, I say this from the heart...it could easily drive a suffering soul to suicide.

Validation of the long slow torture is all many of us w/ TRD have to live for.

I even sent you a kind email reporting the problem & begging for a response DF. I did not receive a reply.

Tonight was going to be my last attempt.

My hope is to learn alot and give & receive support & validation here.

Wishing you all compassion & comfort.

Sincerely, gravity

Do you mean the TMS treatment--transcranial magnetic stimulation? That is something I looked in to and was really impressed with it. It's been FDA approved but Medicare and most insurance companies don't cover it 'as yet'! It's quite expensive--$11, 000 to $12,000 for 5 weeks of treatment daily for about 30 mins. each treatment.

It is for those of us who cannot tolerate anti-depressants. I do wish I could try it--and do hope you can find out more about it. I was shown the equipment and they went into detail about the treatment and how it's done.

No pain--but some scalp discomfort--no anesthesia and no side affects!!

So--please, if you can afford it, look into it. Wish I could--for now, relying on Xanax and doing my best to deal with the anxiety and depression. Best of luck to you

I've been doing TMS for two weeks at a place in Kansas City. Totally understand your frustration about insurance too, it's the reason I waited so long.

Good thing is that insurance companies are starting to cover it. Blue Cross Blue Shield is a big one who does, you just have to jump through some hoops with your pdoc & whatnot. Is recommend checking them out.

I'm happy to chat more if you want :)

I've using a CES device for 10 days now and I'm very hopeful since I'm seeing results. Check Out my blog and gallery, links in my signature. I've blogged about using it. You may find it interesting/useful.

Bye for now.

Good morning. I wanted to run this by the members and see what you thought if you don't mind. I wrote this as an email to my ex-wife while I was having a treatment with my CES device: "I've been thinking. What happens if I actually started to feel better? It seems to me that since I've had this all my life that I don't really know what it'll be like without depression/anxiety or with it diminished. I'm not sure who I could be without the depression and anxiety. I know this probably sounds odd, but I really wonder how I'll end up functioning? How will I feel and behave? Will I seem like a different person? Weird, I know. This is going through my mind this morning as I'm having a treatment."

I hope that I put this in the right forum.

Don't know if this is covered elsewhere but I've tried a number of supplements, various ones with positive results.

5-htp is the precursor to serotonin - however reason I don't like it (as with most stuff I try) is it feel 'fake' to me.

Lately been trying NAD+ which is being peddled as an anti-aging supplement but doing wonders for my mood, haven't felt this good in years. There's been a lot of legit research on this one in last few years, times health has a recent article on it I believe. But it's recent so maybe after a while the effect will diminish.

Edit* wanted to add I tried anti depressants before and I will never ever put myself through that again, I'd rather feel terrible than the zombie I became on meds.

Edited by Dogsbestfriend

Hello everyone. I am new here. Also suffering from depression/anxiety/mood swings. I was on meds for 11 years and still am.  I am 27. It would be great to hear what people think about non medication solutions.

Did spirituality, religion or something helped you with depression?

Religion? I think that's probably the cause of a lot mental illness...

but on a less controversial note,

Spirituality in practical terms for quick implemenation, meditation and mindfulness can help - depending on where people are, some people will say they are too stressed and their minds are too jumbled/racing to sit still and observe their breathing/thoughts. I suppose we are constantly breathing and thinking anyway, regardless, just that .

Some people find it hard to meditate in silence, so there's plenty of guided / nonspoken music meditations and mindfulness recordings out there online, the best ones would be mindfulness combined a CBT-based approach. I went to a mindfulness class yesterday and slept a bit better last night.

I'm on medication, my main issue is the side effects, but they have a purpose when things are really bad and after that chronic phase has passed, I usually try to wean off them when possible, otherwise how do we know who we really are, other than chemical versions of ourselves?

Other alternative treatments include the Mood Cure by Julia Ross - its amino acid therapy based-treatment and I've attached some .pdf docs that basically allow you to determine which amino acids you may be short of based on your depression symptoms, along with treatment schedules and dosing.

Amino acids (available in health food stores) are the bodies basic building blocks for growth and repair, some of them are used in weight training. The Mood cure focuses on amino acids that increase serotonin (5HTP, L-tryptophan), dopamine (l-tyrosine, dl-phenylanine) and GABA. There's also acetylcholine supplements (memory/cognition issues) and non-amino cortisol reducing agents such as seriphos and lactium, plus ashwaghanda - which is from the Ayurvedic medicine tradition (a whole other world of therapy).

It all depends on which neurotransimitters are deficient, which is usually observed in symptoms.

[please PM member for documents]

I hope this gives you some idea

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
remove outside links to docs

On 13/01/2018 at 5:36 AM, Marshel said:

Excercise until your mood is elevated then get tired and sleep. Do this every day. It's that simple. 

Aye it’s that simple. Cute fir depression found here. 

No no need to worry any more. 

Whostolemyfunny thank you. Good question. I am on meds for the last 11 years, I truly don't know who I am without it. 

I am combining much of exercise and meditation with drugs. Still, currently for example my Zoloft stopped working after taking it for like 2 years. I will need something else. The question is which one. Somehow I am not convinced that things are good without meds, maybe I am making a mistake but it seems to me it has to be combined to be treated.

On 5/15/2018 at 3:45 PM, James from NZ said:

It seems like the original download link has stopped working. Here's a new link to the same pdf.

https://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/treatment-resistant-depression_research.pdf

Thank you! I added your post to the original post to update it.  Thanks for your help!

Of course a "Happy Light" light box also helps. But check to be sure or be concerned that you do not have bipolar depression and just regular depression or your light box can make you too happy and trigger a manic episode.