Hello All,

Reading through all of your posts and replies I am moved by the kindness of perfect strangers who are willing to share their experiences and support.

The title kind of sums up my situation… I am in my early 30’s and have struggled with anxiety and depression since late adolescence/early teens. About 6-8 months ago I got off the medication (venlafaxine) It was the last stop on a train of various similar meds for over a decade. Felling like a slave, and tired of sexual, and other side effects... I wanted to face myself for the first time in a long time with the hopes I had developed tools to overcome my anxiety/depression that I lacked years back when I started meds… I followed a careful withdrawal over 6 weeks. As I am sure many of you know, the withdrawal was torturous once I finally stopped… Once I got out of he woods I swore I would never go back. I experienced a few months (give or take) of normalcy and I dare say “confident happiness.” Healthy diet, exercise, hope, and I immersed myself in the task of taking control of my life, health, and future. I am not sure If I ever felt better. It didn’t last… I tried natural remedies, etc… nothing really made a dent.

So here I am… As much as I am conflicted on the topic, I fear medication is a must at this point. I have tried everything to avoid it and I am out of options. I have literally ground to a halt… Professionally and personally, I almost don’t exist at this point. I am looking for a Psychiatrist and it is frustrating! My therapist reccomended a few and ss of today, the soonest appointment available is 6 weeks from now! My primary care would prescribe an SSRI or something in a blink, but I am leery.

So I know I have rambled a bit more than is intended in this section so I will leave it there and simply say thank you all for sharing and I look forward to learning from your experiences. Its nice to feel a little less alone in this.

J

J,

I have tried the natural supplements too with no help. Sometimes medication is the only way to go and I'm glad you are open to that. It takes a lot of trial and error to find the right one or combo and I hope you find something soon that works for you. This is a great place to come and vent and even chime in on others who need help, it makes you feel a little better knowing you may have helped someone else in a similar situation or just sharing with people in the same boat. You are definitely not alone in this or this forum wouldn't have so many members!

Welcome to our family.

Hi JayB, and welcome to DF! We are glad to have you here. You are certainly NOT alone in how you feel. I think a lot of people here can relate.

Sometimes, medication is the only thing that will help. That's been true for me, in dealing with my depression, anxiety/panic, and OCD.

Taysmom is right that finding the right meds is a trial and error process. I'm glad to hear you will be seeing a psychiatrist, as they are much more knowledgeable about mental illnesses, and the medications used to treat those illnesses, than a regular doctor is.

You can always come here to DF for emotional support, and understanding people to talk to. We're glad you are here.

I hope your psychiatrist will find the right med(s) for you soon.

Best wishes, and take care.

Thank you both for your kind words and encouragement. I am glad to be here. I see my therapist tomorrow and I am hoping he can recommend a reputable Dr. who can see me sooner than 6 weeks or call in a favor or something. Now that I have conceded to the idea of medication, I am anxious to get going and start rebuilding. I don't want to spend a second longer feeling like this than I have to. Fingers crossed. I will post my progress; Thank you again for the kind welcome.

J