Sign in to follow this  
PeacePilgrim

Positivity Thread: 3 Things That Went "right" Today, Edition #9.

Sunday April 8-2012:

1. Thankfully, didn't think at all about the fact that it's Easter or that I am missing a raw potluck. I knew my focus needed to be on income tax. I emailed HR Block agent to see if I can get a missing tax form from him. . ***The best news is that I was totally able to maintain focus today, unlike yesterday.***

2. Final day of Masters Golf on tv, first on Golf Channel and then on CBS. My favorite Phil Mickelson was still in contention, and he finished third. Liked the guy who won, Bubba Watson. Exciting golf, with even a double eagle. When the tournament got too intense for me, I flipped channels and watched the HBO documentary re Dolores Hart and her transition from actress to nun.

3. For the first time, I was inspired to bring a small glass of green juice upstairs to add to my food kit on second floor.

4. Watched Mad Men tonight.

Alright, I didn't have a chance to check back over the weekend so here goes:

1. Went to a cousin's house for Easter, I had much better conversations with my family than usual. I didn't just silently sit in a corner eating cheese like usual.

2. I bought all the supplies I needed to get for a raffle. I needed to buy recycled school supplies for my environmentalist group.

3. I got the job! Oh I'm so glad something like this has finally fallen through for me. I go in for orientation today. The guy who interviewed me was really nice too. The people there seem really cool. So, technically I'm working in the heart of downtown which makes me feel like a cool bean. :P And this isn't a normal job, I'm actually fighting for a purposeful cause: Urging the EPA to go through with proposed standards to limit air pollution from power plants/industrial carbon polluters.

4. To add to the job stuff, there's a Starbucks in the building! This is very good, yes. The only drawback is that I'm going to have to pay $5 to park every day...ugh.

1) got up early (was having trouble getting out of bed for a while there)

2) walked to the paper box and got the newspaper

3) made breakfast

Hey, it's a start :Coopwink:

3. I got the job! And this isn't a normal job, I'm actually fighting for a purposeful cause: Urging the EPA to go through with proposed standards to limit air pollution from power plants/industrial carbon polluters.

1) got up early (was having trouble getting out of bed for a while there)

2) walked to the paper box and got the newspaper

3) made breakfast

Hey, it's a start :Coopwink:

Welcome, bh34465! and congrats on the positive start to your day!

And ModestMouse, what GREAT news about the job--not only a job, but a "make a difference" job! Impressive!

~PeacePilgrim

Monday April 9, 2012:

1. Finally exploring bank CD to take out. Talked to customer service at CIT bank and he was very user-friendly. That combined with the rate offered has, I think, made my decision for me. I have been dragging my heels on this, so good to have finally made up my mind.

2. Continued working on IRS. Heard via email from Nathan at HRBlock saying he was mailing out missing form to me today.

3. TV tonight: Golf channel had an hour profile interview with Masters winner Bubba Watson, on the air at 8pm. "Smash" Broadway-based tv series also on tonight.

my therapist told me i didn't suck at life and i didn't cut. i got audited today but everything checked out. ugh.

you don't suck at life, at least you have a bf that cares!

Got through things at work and had fun, interesting meeting.

No anxiety today.

Nice walk in the park with my wife and dog.

Nice dinner tonight, warming us up in this cold snap we are having.

Tuesday, April 10-2012:

1. With Tammy's help, I tackled two difficult projects this afternoon:

First, ongoing income tax prep work. I was given a boost on this by indeed getting that missing tax form in the mail from my accountant.

Second, having unpacked the new printer "innards", I finally was able today to start cleaning the adhesive off. Really did need Tammy's help--to get my chair in place, go find Goo-Gone and other misc items, and to move the printer on the table to optimal cleaning position. Window in Great Room open to fresh air helped a lot, as did music on my ipod while working on taxes.

***Felt centered and focused during work--and amazingly a brief positive lift of energy at end of work session.***

2. Phoned Arthritis Foundation today in my ongoing efforts to find in-person arthritis support group: something very difficult to find these days. Friendly Craig on their information line gave me the number for my local Arthritis Foundation branch, which I will pursue another day.

3. Only had to go downstairs once today, and that very briefly, around 8pm for supper. Tammy was able to take care of a number of things on first floor without my going down.

Wednesday April 11-2012:

1. In spite of feeling lousy, I pushed myself tonight and was able to fill out online application for that new bank CD. And I also opened the A/C cord to go with new printer "innards".

2. Late night, I went downstairs for 11pm supper of onion bread/hummus/carrot juice/salad. Cut up new fresh onion for salad.

3. Had on TCM cable channel with Peter O'Toole interview while I prepared my salad et al.

I had a bit of needed time to myself this morning when my wife went to see her sister.

I got lots of odd jobs done today that I had been putting off.

My wifes sister was out of hospital for a while today and she was slightly better.

Thursday April 12-2012:

1. After a day and a half of feeling absolutely lousy in every way and feeling I would never get to a better space, I rebounded about 2 hours ago around 5:00pm, while Tammy was here helping me. (She had arrived around 3:30pm after 2 hours of shopping.) I am amazed that I even had the energy and attention to come upstairs to Great Room for round #2 of clearing adhesive off new printer innards. (New printer is now "done" and ready to go to shop to combine with old printer.)

2. I asked Tammy to check 231 mailbox when she arrived, and to my surprise, the melamine pie server had been delivered already--just two days from Florida to Connecticut via first class US mail. Tammy was able to wash it when she washed Brandon's storage containers for me.

3. Dramatic weather today: everything from sunshine to downpours of rain to HAIL! I very much enjoyed having the window open to help me feel better.

4. Earlier today, I made phone calls when I felt incapable of anything else. One was to health educator of my local arthritis chapter. Amongst other things, she gave me the name of a new rheumatologist.

5. For the FIRST TIME, I asked Tammy to clean the kitty poop out of Maggie's bathtub, to save my physical exertion for other things. Also had Tammy get me new 30-lb bag of Yesterday's News cat litter today.

Edited by PeacePilgrim

And ModestMouse, what GREAT news about the job--not only a job, but a "make a difference" job! Impressive!
Thanks! But unfortunately it's a full time job (7 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, no real food), so I can't continue because I wouldn't have any time for all the important school stuff I have as high school is wrapping up for me. BUT, it actually is positive, because even though I didn't meet quota and I told the boss I couldn't stay, he told me he definitely wants me to come back in the summer. He said he REALLY wants on the staff, which was a big confidence boost, helped to take the edge off of feeling like a loser. Cool cool.

1. This is from Wednesday but it's certainly worthy of noting: I visited Case Western University on Wednesday and I'm in love. I can't wait to enroll.

2. Sitting at home too long causes me to go a little mad, and today I almost spiraled, but I kicked myself out of the house and went to the park. I took the path less traveled by. Felt great afterwards.

3. Ate at a nice little Mexican joint and now I'm stuffed.

friday april 13-2012:

1. *Up at 11am, actually slept through the night relatively well without aid of sleeping pill (fairly rare).

2. Tammy worked from 2:20pm to 7:25pm, starting with the photos of the EFT counselor's office building on Dog Lane. She came here at 3pm after picking up mail along with FRESH FLOWERS at Spring Hill (the fresh flowers were here idea!). Tammy's main job today was to transfer handwritten 2010 income tax data to the computer, and to mathematically cluster groups of deductions and expenses together--and record the subtotals that resulted.

*I gave Tammy a slice of raw strawberry cheesecake and a portion of pea soup. She had brought her own containers at my suggestion. The new melamine pie server worked PERFECTLY to cut slices of cheesecake after it had thawed between one & 1/2 hours to two hours.

*Last thing, we got the printer innards wrapped up for Pam on Monday. I had written a note to go with the package.

3. *Kristin phoned around 7:15pm and left a short minute-long check-in message. She said she has been very busy and only time available to talk has been 5am to 6am!

4. George Clooney movie "Brother Where Art Thou?" on Channel 36 tonight. Later, in the wee hours on PBS, I watched American Masters documentary on Harper Lee, author of "To K-ll a Mockingbird", 315am-4m early Saturday morning.

5. *Did laundry late tonight: white sheet which I use as chair cover, plus nighties and underpants.

Saturday April 14-2012:

1. Phoned national number for HRBlock and found an office that IS open on Thursday April 19-2012. Have an appointment with woman tax preparer at 4pm.

2. Got phone messages copied onto computer so that I can erase them from voicemail.

3. ***Good focus this afternoon*** (which I am always grateful for), although sank back into tiredness tonight.

4. Unsinkable Molly Brown on TCM Saturday afternoon. Then had "As Good As it Gets" on a cable channel late evening after supper. Titanic ABC mini-series was also on, but it was confusing and not very good. Did serve as a distraction during supper.

5. Working with EFT ("emotional acupuncture") to help keep me motivated and focused re working on taxes.

Edited by PeacePilgrim

1. I gave my emergency $20 to a man I've seen standing on a street corner with a sign about his family's hard times. I've passed him a couple times before when I had no cash, this time it was easily accessible and the car in front of me stopped traffic to give him a donation so I put my window down and did the same. (It's kind of scary since I have no income and am not sure how I'll be paying my bills in a few months, but it felt good.)

2. I made it to my volunteers meeting.

3. I spent a few hours outside where I wasn't having to do physical labor, just sitting and enjoying the sun and light breeze.

1.I had a great time talking to a friend.

2. Another person randomly decided to text me out of boredom and had a nice chat

3.I feel more cheerful then usual.

Sunday April 15-2012:

1. The bad news today was that three "mechanical" things went wrong; the good positive news is that each, at least for today, had a positive resolution.

(1)The first was my laptop dying first thing today, on a day when I was trying to work on income tax! However, I was able to unplug and remove battery to get the thing to turn completely off, and when I rebooted it, it did come on. I have since been doing backups on USB jump drive to be safe. (2) I thought my central air was going to die on me also, but after an initial malfunction, it picked up and worked just fine rest of this warm day. (3) Of all things, the electric heat in one finished basement room decided to come on full blast today, but I was at least able to turn off the thermostat completely to get it to cool down.

2. Michael called around 1:30 pm and we talked for 8 minutes from my cell phone gift to him. He turned on the A/C at West Hartford for me, and brought in the ATT phone books, leaving them on the kitchen floor for me.

3. For once, I really enjoyed Celebrity Apprentice because it was Muppet night!

Edited by PeacePilgrim