Alprazolam (Xanax) Posts

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been on regular Xanax for probably 5 years. I take 2mg at bedtime.

Some people will find that they need more after a while for it to be effective. And if you ever go off of it, the withdrawl can be pretty bad, especially at higher dosages.

I don't think it is unsafe to be on it for long term periods.

• 2 months later...

In February, I started taking .25mg for anxiety and in March the doctor upped my dose to .5mg....in the last day or so, I don't feel like it's being effective at all. When I first started taking the .25 and the .50--there was NO way that I could operate a vehicle but now I drive and do regular stuff while taking them but the anxiety is still present. It's been less than three weeks...do I just need to give it more time or do I need to call the doctor?

Thanks for any insight.

Hi Freckledface -- Doing a bit of research on Alprazolam, I have found this:

"Alprazolam should only be used at the lowest possible dose and for the shortest possible time. After four weeks of treatment the need to extend treatment to the maximum of 12 weeks will be reviewed. This will minimise the chance of tolerance, dependence and withdrawal symptoms. Reducing the dose of Alprazolam gradually over time may reduce the chances of having these problems."

Taken from the NHS med guide, it might be best to advise your GP about your issues as it could well be that the positive effects of this med are turning into tolerance and dependence.

Tungsten

Hi there, I was on xanax for quite some time. Xanaxn (alprazolam) - your body builds up tolerance rapidly and the only way to get it back working again is to up the dose or withdraw from taking it slowly and start again. Valium has been much more effective for me. Whatever you do, do NOT stop taking this med cold turkey you could get seizures. Talk to your doctor they will know exactly what to do :)

And just a question- is it your regular doctor prescribing or a psychiatrist?

I take .25 mg alprazolam (Xanax) but only as needed. This past summer we went to Disney World, and although we had fun, I got super anxious before going on rides--even though I know they are ultimately fun! Taking even half a xanax before waiting in line was definitely worth it.

I was originally prescribed xanax for airplane/flying anxiety and I rarely take it every single day.

It's my regular doctor...I don't have insurance right now to see a psychiatrist but hope to in the near future. I don't take it every day either, but this past few days has been very anxiety filled and I've needed them and they aren't working. :( I would need to take a xanax to just walk into disney world :)

I was on 1 mg 2x a day for a while and that did seem to help. I thought they put me on that just to give the Cymbalta time to get back into my system. But they didn't take it off. After an "unfortunate incident", they changed my meds and now have me on 0.5 mg of Ativan 2x a day - same class of meds, but no talk of taking me off of it even though I have been on the Cymbalta for 6-8 weeks now. It was my psychiatrist that prescribed it, not my GP. Not sure if they are planning on keeping me on it for the long run. I kind of figured they would prescribe it "as needed" rather than on a definite schedule. I have noticed that when things happen that cause my anxiety to jump, taking an Ativan doesn't seem to help that much. But the Cymbalta+Ativan does seem to help the "steady state" anxiety that I was having.

• 9 months later...

So at what point are you supposed to take the Xanax when it's for anxiety? Such a broad question, but can't find it on google and not sure how to ask the question. Anyway, I am prescribed Xanax as needed and use it about 5-7 times per month, maybe less. I take sometimes, if I feel I am am going to be faced with a situation that will cause anxiety , i.e. at work, thinking of certain things in my past that trigger me to just get an immediate feeling of anxiety, sometimes to the point of crying. Then at that point I take it and 15-20 minutes later I am fine.

I am thinking I should be taking it more when I feel anxiety coming or that I will be faced with something stressful or that will raise my anxiety level (stressful is an understatement , more like anxiety ). Is that the correct method of taking it in a case like this?

I have recently moved and don't even have a doctor to ask, but that's another issue...

Xanax takes about 20 minutes to kick in yes.  With other benzos, you can melt them under your tongue to speed up the onset of the drug, but unlike Ativan, Klonopin or Valium, Xanax tastes awful, so I wouldn't reccommend it.  If you are going to be in a situation where you have known you are going to be in unbearable anxiety, then preemptively take it.  For panic attacks, if you take it right away, usually the panic attack will be over by the time Xanax kicks in which is one of the fastest benzos to kick in.  Sometimes, simply knowing you have some Xanax on you that you can take to escape the anxiety provoking situation may even relieve some of the anxiety without actually needing to take Xanax.  

You should try and endure as many anxiety provoking situations as you can, in a controlled manner while doing CBT exposure therapy.  Look at your Xanax as a fire extinguisher to use in an emergency.  5 to 7 times a month sounds like you got the right idea.  This way you avoid tolerance, dependence and withdrawal.   Your dose of Xanax should not need to be raised either and it should work as good as it did on day one.  Perfect.

Edited by NC86

• 3 months later...

I would caution you to be extremely cautious with Xanax. It is so powerful and works so fast. It will work if you take one once in a great while. It is so wildly, physically addictive though. Benzodiazepines are dangerous and should be highly respected if you take them. I would never take Xanax again though. It's dangerous. I believe someday the FDA will pull it from the market.

• 2 months later...

Used xanax a couole of times.

I believe it saved my life once.

But I agree:

On 05/21/2016 at 8:07 PM, ksguy1980 said:

I would caution you to be extremely cautious with Xanax. It is so powerful and works so fast. It will work if you take one once in a great while. It is so wildly, physically addictive though. Benzodiazepines are dangerous and should be highly respected if you take them. I would never take Xanax again though. It's dangerous. I believe someday the FDA will pull it from the market.

Actually this applies to most of the crap we are fed as medication..

But sometimes there.s little choice.

• 2 months later...

I finally needed a refill for my Xanax .25 that I had one refill on the original script so 60 or 90 tablets (can't remember) total used up over 11 months.  usually to calm me down at night if I was stressed about working an early shift. I would cut the pills in half because too much or if I took it too many days in a row would give me horrible eye pain migraines. Well yeah so went to the doctor today to get a refill for Zoloft and the same dosage of Xanax and she said she couldn't prescribe me the Xanax and that I'd need a psychiatrist to get them because they're a higher class drug now? Is this true? I've been searching the internet and haven't read that a doctor can't prescribe them. She's a real MD too. 

Edited by Natasha1

My MD was always very hesitant when it came to anything in the Benzo class of drug because they are known for addictive properties. I bet you could get something like clonezapram instead though, as that is what I was always prescribed.

It may be of the opinion of that certain MD, or it might actually be something like you say where you would need a psychiatrist.

Both Xanax and clonazepam (Klonopin) are benzodiazepines and both are schedule IV drugs so she'll probably be equally reluctant to prescribe clonazepam. I don't think that she can't, she just doesn't want to because she's worried about addiction and potential liability. 

0.125mg is an extremely low dose though so you probably don't not even need this strong a drug, why not ask her about a non-benzo anxiety medication like buspirone (BuSpar)?

Well she must've lied to me then. I might need a different doctor. It's bull that she wouldn't give me any Xanax as I've proved I'm not abusing it. Used 1.5 pills a week on average for 11 months. Buspar made me very dizzy and nauseous, and seemed to do nothing. 

You should probably try a psychiatrist that you can build a rapport with. It's normal for doctors to be suspicious, even an addict will claim not to be abusing it so I wouldn't take her fears personally. Many patients will go doctor shopping and get scripts from 10 different doctors as to not draw attention. 

One thing I also learned is that it's best not to ask a new doctor for a specific drug at the beginning as that may lead to being labeled a drug seeker. Be open to other drugs, just tell him/her that BuSpar had side effects and that Xanax worked in the past. Most likely they'll be more comfortable prescribing Klonopin which is just as effective and longer lasting, main benefit of Xanax is that it's faster acting so it's great for acute panic attacks but if you can wait an hour for the drug to kick in then Klonopin will work just as well. 

I would recommend a new doctor, one that trusts you, even as a general practitioner or primary provider. I have had great luck with Nurse Practitioners if you are in one of the states where they have prescriptive authority... check into that. The nurse practitioners I have seen are very compassionate, more so than the doctors I have worked with. You need someone who will work with you, not against you. Be honest about how you have used your medications in the past, their effectiveness to you, and what you are trying to cope with. Be kind, patient, and at the same time proactive for your health. 

Best of luck.

17 hours ago, Bikerboy said:
Advertisement

I finally needed a refill for my Xanax .25 that I had one refill on the original script so 60 or 90 tablets (can't remember) total used up over 11 months.  usually to calm me down at night if I was stressed about working an early shift. I would cut the pills in half because too much or if I took it too many days in a row would give me horrible eye pain migraines. Well yeah so went to the doctor today to get a refill for Zoloft and the same dosage of Xanax and she said she couldn't prescribe me the Xanax and that I'd need a psychiatrist to get them because they're a higher class drug now? Is this true? I've been searching the internet and haven't read that a doctor can't prescribe them. She's a real MD too. 

are you in canada? i know here in BC there has been a crackdown on prescribing these thpes of meds. you can see a gp but it has to be your own who knows you well. and even then you might have trouble. apparently docs are losing their licenses for overprescribing them.

i talked at great length with a walk in doctor about ativan. he said its not a bad drug and is very weak. part of the crackdown is based(according to him) on overdoses involving this class of drugs. he shakes his at it he said because it wasnt these drugs themselves but the combination with other drugs that was causing the OD issues.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:33 PM, Knursingstudent said:

I would recommend a new doctor, one that trusts you, even as a general practitioner or primary provider. I have had great luck with Nurse Practitioners if you are in one of the states where they have prescriptive authority... check into that. The nurse practitioners I have seen are very compassionate, more so than the doctors I have worked with. You need someone who will work with you, not against you. Be honest about how you have used your medications in the past, their effectiveness to you, and what you are trying to cope with. Be kind, patient, and at the same time proactive for your health. 

Best of luck.

This!  I have been seeing the same Nurse Practitioner every 3 months for the past 6 years and she is always wanting my input and is open to discuss any suggestions I may have to offer.  I wouldn't go anywhere else!

• 5 months later...

I was on Xanax for 20 years and just got off it late last year.  I have a good doc who gradually got me off it, but geez the side effects from getting off it and being on it that long is hard.  On Xanax, I was able to carve out maybe 4 hours sleep.  Now that I'm off it, I cannot sleep at all.  Everything is way off.  --Heather