I was just wondering if anyone on here also suffers from agoraphobia, diagnosed, and medicated for it like me? If so when did it start? Does it ever come back out of no where? && how are you coping?

Edited by Trace
Topic move

I do not have it yet, but sometime get scared I may develop it, as I had 2 biological relatives with agoraphobia. I do have a couple of other anxiety disorders, ans as they worsen, I kind of get depressed and dont want to leave the house, becasue I feel un- funtional/ I dont feel funtional.

With agoraphoebia, peole don't ussually leve the home because they fear they will ahve a panic attack in public, and htat htey wont be able to ecape, get sway, or that there will be noone there to help. With agoaphoebia, sometime people fear not being able to control bodily funtions... I think that is different than what I feel.

I do feel for you. It must be really scary and feel debilitating. I hope that thingd get better. Do you have a good therapist? Someone who can work with you on dessensitization and relaxation techniques? Some therapists will even come to your home and work with you very slowly if you have agoraphoebia.

Good luck, I hope tht you find some releif and feel better soon.

Agoraphobia can be a different mix of issues for each agoraphobic---different fears. I developed the starts of it when I was in grade school. No pdoc ever figured it out until after I did in my 20s. I wasn't able to be on medication because the side effects of each one were too bad---almost lost my job because my boss thought I was drunk in one instance. At one point I was housebound with fear.

Long story short, I'm avid at research when I want to get better and nobody is coming up with answers. I found a group program dealing with it after all my self help got me better enough to seek more answers to get even better. It worked wonders for me---even though a support person was suggested and everyone else had one I went to the group by myself because I didn't have anyone but wanted to get better. Some days it wasn't easy.

Now I'm basically stuck in the house lots of the time because no money and no where to go. It makes it hard to practice so that the fear doesn't become an issue but I get out to the store and try find things to get me out that don't cost much. I try not to symptom swap because it can possibly set off new symptoms in others.

I'm doing great other than anxiety issues related to a rollercoaster marriage that's now ending. There have been other points in my life where it got slightly triggered but I would work with the tools I learned and get through them. It's important to work with a professional that really understands it and can help you find the tools you need---it took a few for me to find one..

Best wishes.

My therapist says I have a mild form of it. Mine is mostly tied in with my social anxiety. Before medication it was getting worse and I had more and more places on my list of "unsafe places". Since going on meds it's been better but I still can't go to certain places without trouble. Grocery stores, crowded bars or restaurants, malls all give me serious anxiety. It's definitely an improvement over being afraid to leave the house like I was starting to be before meds. Mine started around 4 years ago.

While I can't personally attest to whether it "goes away" and comes back I know that it did for my best friend. She suffered from it at 16 and eventually it "went away". When she was 28 it came back full force and she has been barely able to leave the house for the last 3 years. In the last year with med changes and serious therapy she has began to regain control of it and is getting better.

For me coping has a lot to do with breathing techniques and constantly telling myself that my fears are irrational and I will be okay. Sometimes I sing a song in my head as an automatic distractor and that really helps. My therapist says the best way to combat it is to push back and force myself out to mingle with the masses. She says constant exposure will help to "beat it down", but it's easier said than done. I try but it is overwhelming at times.

I wish you luck!!!

It's just starting to get on my nerves, everywhere I go I make sure I can see an exit sign or a door I can run through....I start to pant for a few minutes then shed some tears....close my eyes if I have too and force myself to stay there. It wasn't like this when I was on my meds, but my mom is still saying I can't go back on meds & she forbids it so I'm screwed. This is was started my depression in the first place. I was going to commit suicide over it, and she still doesn't get it she always tells me how she accepts me for who I am, obviously she doesn't because this is me and she can't stand it. I'm having a lot of anger problems too, I snap constantly and sweat almost immediately, I think I'm going to scrub up some cash go to a pdoc and get back on meds with out telling anyone. They're all so effin judgmental....but good luck to everyone who has it, and hope you guys find the answers you're looking for because I'm done asking. Best Wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Very gentle hugs, if that is okay. I hear you on always knowing where the quickest exit from a room would be, always having my back and body in the absolute best position to protect myself. Agrophobia is awful, yes, I have it, lately bad.

I am happy that sometimes it fades for you. Also does for me, thank goodness. There's so much out there in this big, beautiful world, and it is so sad to miss out on it.

Even just daydreaming about the sunset, or the moon and stars at night might help you brave stepping out, breathing in some clean, crisp, fresh air. Or more, when you are ready.

Take courage to overcome it. Courage, I mean for me, that is. Thinking of you.

i get it when i go on vacation. isn't that lovely? i am especially afraid of going on the oakland bay bridge. that's when i really start to flip about leaving the house. but apparently it is not advised to dive out the window of a moving car on a fast bridge...

I understand. I can hardly leave my house. I go get coffee at the drive thru. I need to pick up my meds and I need them for tomorrow and my husband will have to get them after work. Last night my husband tried to get me out by saying lets go get ice cream well I couldn't go so he said he wasn't going to get me any unless I went. He got me some anyway. He tries but doesn't completely understand how hard it is for me to leave the house. I miss out on so many family functions because of agoraphobia. I can't go shopping, do it all online. It's just a mess. And yes it has been better and worse other times. Right now it's worse. I am on meds and do see a tdoc.

Michele

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I do have it too, sometimes crippling and sometimes manageable. Right now it's manageable but I also have had a period of four years where I very rarely left the house. When I did, no longer than an hour unless I was with my mother.

In my case, it's because I have DID and I am not always co-conscious with my alters. I don't feeling like I'm going to get lost and I hate the feeling of "waking up" and not knowing how I got there and the orientation part where I figure out where I am. I don't drive for this reason, because I don't want to switch behind the wheel and possibly hurt someone else. When I do switch in public, I immediately feel like the world is staring at me. ugh. I also have periods of psychosis where I can't perceive someone walking up behind me as a stranger just going on their own path. They're going to attack me. When I do go out, if I'm in a building, I'll always go against a wall when I can, so no one can sneak up behind me. I'm the opposite of claustrophobic, I need a small space so I can see every inch of it and make sure there's nothing scary in there. If I can back up to a wall in a small space where I can see the door, I'm okay. Wal Mart type places are hell.

It started so long ago I don't remember when. I had an abusive father and I was also severely bullied in school. So I rarely had any quiet time from being picked on.

I'm lucky I have a supportive family, so I usually have someone with me. That helps. I'm also on an anti-psychotic again. Not that it's needed for most people, it's just that I have a psychotic disorder causing some of my agoraphobia. I don't actually take an anti-anxiety drug because my agoraphobia stems from psychosis. Control the psychosis in the first place and I won't need an anti-anxiety.

I hope your mother changes her mind or you do manage to get your meds on your own. It's not fair to you to have to suffer when there is help.