Are You Angry About Being Anxious And/or Depressed?

Hi,

I've been dealing with severe anxiety and what I can only describe as a loss of a sense of self every day for almost four years now. This is a 24/7 thing. Sometimes it's in the foreground and I'm pretty much debilitated and sometimes it's in the background and I can more or less function, even though I still don't feel anywhere near right. As you can imagine, this is also very depressing, so on top of the original anxiety, I also feel despair and hopelessness that I'll ever truly understand my experience or get free of it.

I've been in therapy for this wretched thing for almost four years now, too, and I've tried various medications with very little success.

But more and more, I'm feeling enraged that this is my life, that this is what my life has become...this nightmare that I wake up to everyday and still don't really know why. It's not anger at anyone in particular. It's anger about my situation, which is completely and utterly frustrating. Who am I supposed to get angry at? So the result is that I feel like I'm going to explode with anger about the fact that I'm constantly feeling awful.

Does anyone else experience this? I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm at the end of my rope with this experience, having tried everything I can think of to understand it and move beyond it. I feel like what's the point of trying anymore if nothing improves my situation?

Thanks for any feedback.

Red

I suffer with anxiety as well. I'm currently in a DBT Group which covers CBT, as they are related forms of therapy. I have found the techniques helpful in managing anxiety and other mental health illnesses. You might want to ask your therapist about these techniques. We have more information in the Psych Ed 101 Room.

Its not easy but hang in there. Wishing the best in managing life.

Lindahurt

Hi Redvelo, and welcome to DF! We are glad to have you here. This is a wonderful community, filled with kind caring people, who can relate, and offer you emotional support.

I too suffer with debilitating anxiety/panic, as well as depression and OCD. It took my doctor a long time to find the right combo of meds for me, but when she finally did, it changed my life!

Please don't give up on meds if your doctor wants you to try them. New treatments are always becoming available.

I also agree with Lindahurt about looking into CBT. That may be very helpful for you.

There is a lot of good information about depression here on this forum. There is also an Anxiety Room here that you may find helpful.

Please make yourself feel at home, and post wherever you feel most comfortable.

Best wishes, and take care.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I tried CBT once but I don't think the therapist was very good. For example, when I asked how she might treat my anxiety, she said, "well, one thing we'll try is we'll put you in a chair and spin you around. This will make you dizzy, just like an anxiety attack, and by simulating the anxiety attack here in the office, we can address it."

I was like, what the hell are you talking about? I don't get dizzy when I have an anxiety/panic attacks. I feel waves of impending doom and undescribable fear, not dizziness. Needless to say, I didn't go back to her. But, maybe I'll look into it again.

Thanks.

Mine makes me angry. I hate the thought of everyday having these feelings or symptoms. It makes me mad esp when i want to do the normal things i did a month back. Its a cycle, it will come and go. Im in therapy now, doing CBT again, hopefully this helps, I know they say medication does help, mine sorta is, im on day 30 of it, guess i have like two more weeks to get the full benefits of the drug. I just wish we could wake up and not feel the symptons or have the fear of it coming back. I hate that.

• 3 weeks later...

hang in there. yes, i get angry. yesterday i was screaming at the top of my lungs(in my car, parked in a quiet place). hating who i am, just, who i am. unfortunately, i hate who i am right now. i was going over the list of who i am, and was soooo angry. my actual personality traits that have been formed over a lifetime. who i am is not going to work to keep me safe.

take gentle care. hope you feel better.