Sign in to follow this  
junebug01

Cymbalta Works For Me

Just wanted to post my experience so far with Cymbalta. I am into just my 3rd week with Cymbalta and am a completely different person than I was just 21 days ago. I am not going to lie, the side effects were rough the first couple of weeks. For me they consisted of extreme dry mouth, increased anxiety (the first few days), jitteriness and overall spaciness. I am happy to report that all of them are gone for the most part! I am so glad I stuck it out and am proud of myself for not giving up. This is my 4th time on Cymbalta (post-partum with both of my kids plus one episode in 2010) so this means I'll be on Cymbalta for the long haul. But that's alright with me, it's all worth it to feel like my old self. I look forward to feeling even better each day forward. I encourage anyone who is starting on this drug to GIVE IT A CHANCE. It's probably going to be difficult in the beginning but it DOES get better! :Coopyahoo:

juebug01 I'm on cynbalta too. I've been on it for 2 years and its been pretty good so far. I can honestly say I feel like a different person. That is good! BTW I just went from 60 to 90 mg and it seems to be working better again after suffering from depression in February after returning from vacation. Good Luck!

That's great crazyguy! I have been on 90mg for a week now and really feel like it's where I need to be too.

Me too! I seem to be doing better than everyone else that I know (I don't mean on DF). So I have no problem living with the guilt of doing fantastic!! :yay:

Cymbalta worked for me, as far as keeping me from ******* myself when I was fired in June 2011 but I was still doing odd things - mainly self-injury due to anxiety.

My doctor tried a LOT of add-ons but none worked (and all made me exhausted) until he tried Risperidone for me lately. It seems to be working.

Is anyone else taking an antipsychotic with their Cymbalta?

Hi AllieAnne

Yes, i take an antipsychotic with my Cymbalta - olanzapine. I find they work really well together. The only problem I've found is really bad constipation (sorry if that's tmi lol). I've found the Cymbalta enormously helpful. Some difficult side effects to begin with but they have dispersed now. I hope you continue to improve AllieAnne , good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Pippin

Does the olanzapine make you tired?

I had tried so many antipsychotics before the Risperidone but I couldn't even tell if they were working or not, as I was such a zombie on them!

The best (sarcasm) one was Abilify. $250.00 a month for no effect whatsoever!!

By the way, may I add you as a friend? I'd like to (if that's cool with you) but I don't know how!

Any help with that? And I'm glad the Cymbalta is working for you as well:)

Allie

I started on 30 mg of Cymbalta today. I had been off antidepressants for 6 months but felt myself relapsing after a brief period of insomnia. I have previously been on Effexor and Pristiq but was really hopeful I would be able to stay off medication as they have always affected my weight and libido. The doctor was really angry with me when I went back to him today as I had tapered off my previous meds slowly myself whilst going to a psychologist and told me I needed to stay on medication for the long haul this time so I am really hoping that it not only works but that the side effects are minimal. Fingers crossed I improve over the next couple of days as I have the week off work and am about to start a university work placement next week. Would be so nice to have a doctor with a heart though.

I just started taking Cmybalta and i am having nightmare after nightmare waking me 3 or 4 times a night .... i am also with-drawling off effexor cold turkey .... this is pure hell ... i am stated to throw up my food ... headaches .... sweating ... cannot concentrate ... crying ... i don't know what to do i don't have any effexor to take ... im sick of feeling this way ...

For the person who asked if anyone is on an antipsychotic with Cymbalta, I am currently on 5 mgs of zyprexa (olanzapine.) They seem to work well together.

I've had a lot of side effects with Cymbalta (night sweats, etc,etc) but at the same time, it's given me my life back. I take 60mg daily and increase it to 90mg the week before my period.
I was on three other antidepressants before Cymbalta, and it wasn't until I started it that I truly started to get better.

I'm still worried about whenever I quit, but I honestly don't believe I would be this well without it.

And to be fair, I had a LOT of side-effects on the other meds I was on, so I can't say it's something about Cymbalta. I just seem to get all the side effects you can get from every medication I take, ;)

Cymbalta really has helped me tremendously.

C never worked well for me besides anxiety relief. I also gained 50 pounds, had 0 sex life, and experienced suicidial ideation and worsening depression.

I'm glad it works well for the OP. In fact I am jealous!

But my experience serves as a counterpoint to that of the OP and illustrates that we are all different and one person's miracle medication can be a distater for the someone else.

I've never needed to take meds yet, 3 years ago I developed "depressive" symptoms and tried to deal with it by alternative means ( exercise, meditation, therapy, bodywork, yoga) . I threw in the 4 months ago have been taking 1 60 mg a day. This is my first "depression" medication and it has been prescribed to me by a "psychiatric" nurse; I took Lorazapam for catching up on the lost sleep that I was needing with depression. If you can find a psychiatric nurse, it will save you some $$ compared to a psychiatrist ( $80 and hour vs. $250 - 300 hr. ). She also does therapy.

I am laughing more and feel "lighter" about life yet I can still get a little anxious at times. I know that i'm supposed supplement this with therapy, yet I've avoided it .It seems like this drug is somewhat "harmless" although I am curious about effects of the eventual time when I will need to wean off of it .

I have had only a couple of minor side effects ( minor constipation and somewhat abnormal sweating in mid summer.heat.) and I felt at times that maybe the dosage was "too" high ( hard to describe the effect of knowing this but just a general "feeling" ) so I have been experimenting with reducing the dosage by about 20%.over the last week with no noticeable effects yet.

I qualified for the "Lilly Assist" program ( which was pretty easy to do ( the nurse filed out some paperwork and prove income level to them) so I get it for free for the next 12+ months. The fact that I get it for free also provides a psychological lift ( I think ) as it relieves the money stress component that was part of my depression.

For the couple of months that I had to "pay" for it, I was finding that Target had the best price ( $200 before tax for 30 pills ) although I didn't check Walmart. Nice to know from others on the forum, that I can order it from the internet for much cheaper than retail, if need be. I would hope that others could find benefit from this drug the way that I have and wish the best to those that are still on the "search" ...

Cymbalta worked for me, as far as keeping me from ******* myself when I was fired in June 2011 but I was still doing odd things - mainly self-injury due to anxiety.

My doctor tried a LOT of add-ons but none worked (and all made me exhausted) until he tried Risperidone for me lately. It seems to be working.

Is anyone else taking an antipsychotic with their Cymbalta?

I take Abilify with Cymbalta. So far they seem to be working pretty well. I still feel that I could be better, but I'm doing OK.