Hi,

I'm Jess, I'm 18 and I'm new here but I've already replied to a few people and this is definitely not my first depression forum.

My passion in life has always been helping people, and I love helping out on forums, especially while I'm not studying or employed.

So I want to share with you my story and how I overcame it. But I'm going to try and do it quickly.

So in my life, I've dealt with:

• Severe bullying
  • Emotional abuse from my dad up until I was 15
  • Parents divorce
  • Sexual, emotional and physical abuse from a boy 6 years older than me, continuous from my age of 11-16
  • Sexual abuse from my best friend when I was 15
  • Sexual abuse from a man I didn't know on the streets when I was 16
  • Long term unemployment
  • Neglect from my mother financially

Which has lead to:

• Severe depression from ages 11-17
  • Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Bulimia - from ages 12 to now, however it is so much better, and I am working on it.
  • PTSD and severe anxiety issues from ages 13-17
  • Borderline psychosis - from ages 14-17
  • Self harming from ages 11-17
  • Suicide attempts from ages 11-17

Today, I am 18 and for the most part, happy. Between the ages of 11-16, I tried so many things. I tried 16 different therapists, I tried 9 different medications, I tried CBT, DBT, refused ECT. I tried talking to friends and family, I went into hospitals.

When I was 16, I gave up.

But after a while I started buying self help books everywhere on the internet. Some were horrible and a few were really good. I've made a page of the ones that got me through and the link is in my signature.

One of the main things I learnt in these books, was how to stand up for myself and do what I needed to do. I know you'll hate me for saying this, but depression can be cured by changing the way you think. But thats ****** hard. These books and tapes took me through how to change my thinking. I never thought I could just simply 'change my thinking' before I read these books, but they make it so easy and do-able.

It's really hard, but once you've got it, its so easy. It's like the contestants on shows like The Biggest Loser. The first few weeks they tell how hard it is, but then they click, and they talk about how easy it is to eat right and exercise.

I really hope I've helped in some way, and I'm here for any of you if you want a friend :)

But thanks for listening to my story. :)

Hi and Welcome writeslove93

It is fantastic that you have managed to come out on the other side of depression, especially after what you have been through. You are truly a fighter and a survivor and thanks for sharing what has worked for you. It may help a fair few people and give them some hope and inspiration.

Trace

Thankyou. I really hope it does. I believe different ways help for different people, for example therapy, self help, group therapy, hospital, love & support etc. but I believe to get better we all learn and do quite similar things through our work. And for those who heal better using self help, I wanted to help them out because so much stuff out there is BS. When I was in forums for myself and dealing with my issues, everyone just said "go and see a psych" but that doesn't work for everyone so I hope I can just reach one person at least :)

First, I really want to congratulate you for overcoming what you have. Especially at your age, you are now at a level of maturity for feeling this way that people in their 40's may not even have. It is great you are spreading the word, because you truly can be an inspiration to many with your story. Keep going with it!!!

Second, I do agree with what you're saying. I haven't tried self-help books, but I have been working online going through cognitive behavioral therapy, which works exactly with trying to change your way of thinking. I haven't gotten far through the process yet, but I can definitely see the upside to it, and I know a lot of people have recommended it. It does seem weird to people who are in their heads a lot to feel that just changing the way you think is the solution ("but I can't change what I think! I can't control what I think!"), and I know it still does to me, but it can be a very viable option, especially when the objectives are broken down into doable parts.