Is Anyone In Remission From Their Depression?

Lisa15

How Many Episodes of Depression Have You Had?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. For those of you who have had remission from depression, how many episodes of depression have you had in your life?

• One
    • Two
    • 3-5
    • More than 5
    • What remission? I've been depressed my entire life, with no letup!
  2. 2. And for those who have had remissions, how long do you generally go in between depressive episodes?

• One day - one week
    • One week - one month
    • One - six months
    • Six months - one year
    • More than one year
    • Have only had one episode, so don't know when next one will come
    • Varies

I've created this poll because I have recently come out of my third bout of major depression. I'd like to know what others' experiences of remission have been, how many depressive episodes they've had, and how long the remissions have lasted.

for the most part I have always been depressed, but somertimes I have bouts of remission lasting anywhere from a few weeks to years even (I am 51 now) Over my lifetime it would be impossible to tell exactly how many times this happens...lately it is correlated to how much chronic pain i a, having

Great thread, Lisa.

Looking back, I think my depressions are caused by something external and as I didn´t have the right tools to deal with it, I became severly depressed. But I always seem to get back on my feet, even when I have not been on medication. I´m currently on medication, I do CBT, therapy and work full-time. I´ve been a little housebound lately because of the weather and a really bad flu, so I haven´t been able to resume my swimming, walking and dancing. I can feel it´s starting to take it´s toll. I´m going to start a little yoga at home as soon as I start to feel better.

Let me think... when my second marriage broke up and I lost my job at the same time, I became depressed for 2 years. I moved away and divorced my husband and started a new life and took on a new job. I got AD´s for the first time and went into remission for 4 years.

Recent depression happened because of financial difficulties, loss of job and a break-up with my boyfriend. When my country crashed I lost my life savings and heritage, so I went into a deep depression for one and a half year. However, I got on my feet again, went to the doctor, got into therapy, started exercising and got my job back and created some new projects.

I occasionally get the blues, but it doesn´t last very long. Maybe 2-3 days max.

Edited by Violet31

Hi Lisa and a massive congrats for overcoming depression :flowers:

This is my second episode of depression, my first was in 2006 and lasted about a year, it was overcome with therapy and medication and was heavily around anxiety and panic, it was very hard work but worth every second.

This time it's a little different, people have come into my life for the better but due to my history its hard to accept and trust that they will stick around and that I'm loved just for being me and that what I can offer them is enough. Even though CBT helped last time I don't think for me personally it got to the bottom of my issues so I am currently going through emotional therapy which I'm finding very difficult but again I'm willing to keep with it as I don't want depression in my life forever.

Best wishes

Leila

Edited by LeilaNadine

My first remission lasted the longest, about 20 years, I think. I know when I was a young teenager I was depressed and suicidal over abuse and co-dependency issues, but that went into remission. Then about 20 or so years later, while I was in the midst of caregiving for my two elderly parents, I fell back into a deeper depression that lasted about a year and a half. That was when I started on AD's and therapy. Quit therapy when I went into remission on that one, but kept up with the AD's for about five years. Then, at the suggestion of my GP doc, I went off the AD's. Not a good choice. Fell into my third, and by far deepest depression in October 2011, which lasted until only recently. Went back on the AD's and therapy, but this time also added spiritual direction to my therapy options, and that has helped the most. Of course, I have no idea how long this remission will last, but my situation is improving, I have more good things to look forward to now than I did then, so maybe it will last longer. Don't know that I'll ever actually conquer depression completely in that from what I've read, the more episodes you have, the greater your chances of it coming back. But I'll take the "normal times" I have now for as long as I can.

Hi, Lisa. I've been depressed all my life, but consider the times while well-managed on medication as near as I will ever get.

I think your poll has a small flaw - when I chose "what remission" and didn't choose a time frame, I got an error, so had to go back and pick one. Oops....

Hi, Lisa. I've been depressed all my life, but consider the times while well-managed on medication as near as I will ever get.

I think your poll has a small flaw - when I chose "what remission" and didn't choose a time frame, I got an error, so had to go back and pick one. Oops....

Hmmm...I'll see if it will let me edit it. Thanks for the heads-up.

I am currently in remission from my depression. I started feeling better when my psychiatrist switched my antidepressant from Luvox to Zoloft.

The Zoloft has been like a miracle for me. This episode of depression last summer wasn't the first.

I've been depressed at different points in my life. One of the worst times really was last summer, though. That's when I switched to taking Zoloft, and my depression lifted.

I hope that the Zoloft continues to work for me, as I have been on quite a few different meds in the past.

I also suffer from anxiety/panic, and OCD, so I am on a combo of meds.

I hope and pray that my depression will stay in remission.

I hope the same for you too. ((((Hugs))))

Edited by AquaViolet

I've came out of 2, currently, and long may it continue.

Mine wasn't as bad as some people probably have it. I'm still on meds and probably will be for a while. I just don't want it to come back.

Hi,

Ive dealt with depression for over 20 years now and have

had around 4 bad episodes during that time. My remissions

usually last around 4-5 years before it comes back. Right

now I am over 6 years and feeling great so I am hopeful it

will continue. I am on a combo of zoloft, abilify and neurontin

and feel great.

best wishes,

starr

I am currently in remission from my depression. I started feeling better when my psychiatrist switched my antidepressant from Luvox to Zoloft.

The Zoloft has been like a miracle for me. This episode of depression last summer wasn't the first.

I've been depressed at different points in my life. One of the worst times really was last summer, though. That's when I switched to taking Zoloft, and my depression lifted.

I hope that the Zoloft continues to work for me, as I have been on quite a few different meds in the past.

I also suffer from anxiety/panic, and OCD, so I am on a combo of meds.

I hope and pray that my depression will stay in remission.

I hope the same for you too. ((((Hugs))))

Zoloft has been a lifesaver for me, too. So glad to hear it's working well for you, too!

I´m glad to see so many in remission, I hope to see more. It´s inspiring for others to read about it, because when we are depressed, it´s very hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel, but it really happens.

The medication that worked for me was Celexa. I need to go over the dosage every six to eight months with my doctor.

For me remission also implies exercise, meditation, CBT, yoga and support, cultivating positvity and working hard.

:hearthrob:

I have dysthymia, and can't really recall a time when it wasn't lurking in the background. I have had two or three episodes in my life where the dysthymia turned into severe depression, each episode lasting roughly a year. So I guess I'm in a "remission" of sorts, although I wonder sometimes if being dysthymic isn't worse than having to suffer periods of acute depression with long stretches of normalcy in between.

I have dysthymia, and can't really recall a time when it wasn't lurking in the background. I have had two or three episodes in my life where the dysthymia turned into severe depression, each episode lasting roughly a year. So I guess I'm in a "remission" of sorts, although I wonder sometimes if being dysthymic isn't worse than having to suffer periods of acute depression with long stretches of normalcy in between.

I wanted to add that I had dysthymia as well, but it lasted for five years. I think I had if for such a long time because my meds were not working, I had just gone through a divorce and changed residence. I was also unhappy with my job, raising a difficult child on my own so maybe I didn´t have the tools I have now to handle challenging things. I cannot really say, but the meds certainly helped.

I can also recommend anger management and yoga. When I had dysthymia, I felt that time stood still. I felt so unhappy and was so angry. Depression can be an anger turned inwards. When it finally went away, I couldn´t believe the difference. It was so amazing. Hope it happens to you soon. :)

I also have a history of dysthymia, but I see it as being different from remission. If my pattern repeats as it has in the past, after emerging from a period of severe depression (as I just have), I enter a period of remission. Who knows how long it will last? But eventually, I fall back into dysthymia. Not as good a place as remission, but tolerable for me. Then for whatever reason (situational trigger, hormones, chem imbalance, who knows?) I will fall back into The Pit.

Now, having said all that, I have no idea if I will continue in this pattern. Perhaps my remission will be permanent? Would love that to be so. While I don't expect that will be the case, I also am trying not to hasten on dysthymia by expecting it. One of the things mindfulness therapy has taught me is to take one day, and even one moment, at a time and not to resist. Experience life as it comes, because not only is resistance futile (as the Star Trek Borg say), it also brings on more suffering. So I'm living in today, taking joy in the moment of "normalcy" and trying to practice the cbt and prayer skills I've been learning as I go along.

• 2 months later...

In the past, it was very predictable: when my life was going good, no depression. When it was going bad (loss of job, death in family, etc.) boom, back in the black hole again. Usually spent a few years okay and after trauma it would take a few years to come out of it. Recently anxiety has replaced depression as my major problem, I'm not sure I'll have a remission from that. I'm taking Paxil and it's working great so far. I'm not depressed anymore, and my anxiety is down to a manageable level.

Wow. I guess I'm quite different from many others on this board, which is perfectly fine. Looking back on the last 15 years, (since I got sober), it's pretty clear to me that I've dealt with depression to one degree or another for the entire time. (Whether or not I've suffered from depression my entire life, and how exactly my depression is related to my alcoholism/recovery are other matters...) When looking back, I tend not to perceive my depression as having occurred in a series of discreet episodes, each punctuated on either side by a period of remission. That's just not how it's been for me.

Mine has much more closely resembled a roller coaster of sorts. It's been one continuous ride, with many peaks & valleys, good times & bad times. The good times & the bad times have have sort of bled into one another, without distinct division. The transition from bad to good, and good to bad, is always somewhat gradual. Both the good & bad periods are completely obvious to me when I'm in the middle of them. When exactly the last period ended, and why, and when exactly the current period began are much less obvious.

Finally, I think it's safe to say that both my good and bad periods tend to last for weeks, although I do a few good & bad days sprinkled throughout. I've certainly had my good months & bad months as well. Thank goodness, however, that I tend not to measure these periods in years.

It's definitely cyclical, although what exactly causes the beginnings and the ends of the ups & downs is largely a mystery to me.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I fell into depression 20 years ago and for the last year I have been progressively coming out of the deep depression. A year ago I was in the mental hospital again. My meds where changed just a little before I was released. I felt great when I got out so much so I talked the Pdoc into decreasing the main med. But I found out I was not a Doctor and had to go back up on the med after falling into the pit of despair,depression, and anxiety. I have since been getting along rather nicely, a few gloomy days and then right back to living life to its fullness.

My main med is Marplan which is a MAOI which has helped me along with the Pdoc, CBT and EBT. About 6 months ago the Pschychologist dismissed me. I also take Klonopin daily and Xanax as needed

Hey, my hat is off to anyone on these forums who is currently in remission; when i'm feeling better, it's the last place I want to be. I had my first bout with depression in 05 due to job and financial stress, and did well on 20 mg of celexa for years. In fact, late 2005 to 2010 or 11 was the happiest time of my life. Over the last few years, due to mismanagement at the firm, my income declined a lot which was a severe ego blow and led to some financial challenges. It was devastating for me and I have a sort of powerlessness/learned helplessness that comes over me in times like that. It was so awful and it's only gotten marginally better since then. I fell into what I think is a fairly severe depression in march or early april of last year and am only slightly better now. I've now got some anxiety symptoms along with my depression, because misery loves company. And what makes me even more frustrated is that i'm always thinking "why me?"

I know i'll get better, but damn I wish the remission had lasted longer.....

I have had 4 episodes of depression.

The first episode started when I was 9 years old and last about 2 months if I recall. Didn't take any medication or go to any therapy. I was fine for 3 years.

I got my second episode at age 12 and that also lasted about 2 months. My GP gave me some medication but I didn't take it. I was in remission for 7 years and hardly ever though about my depression.

My third episode was at 19. This episode was probably the worst one and took me about 6-7 months to really start feeling fine. I did go see a psychologist but no meds. I was in remission for about a year and half.

My fourth and current episode is now at 21. I did go see a psychiatrist and she prescribed me 150mg of wellbutrin and 25mg of vistaril, so nothing too strong.

What's been helping me a lot through this current episode is staying active and going outside. I have done a lot of research and I know is very likely that I will go through another episode and that really scares me and I start having negative thoughts. Hopefully making some lifestyle changes will reduce the chances of that happening, I have been overweight for most of my life. Only thing I can do is stay positive and hope that it won't happen for a long time or hopefully never.

my medication courses and therapy really helped me. ive been in remission from major depression for about 5 years. it was a struggle to get this well, i had to work really hard to make direction and meaning in my life. i think it is unlikely that i will have a major depression again unless i have a really catastrophic level event in my personal life, would have to be something really bad, like getting severely burned. some times i am OK and i do well but my mood is variable on situational factors. i am blue sometimes and some weeks i cry all the time, sometimes i find my life pretty intolerable and just want it all to be over. but i do have much more peaceful and hopeful times as well.

Didn't really know how to categorize my situation.

I became depressed starting in college, and it's been with me ever since (I'm now 54). That's 37 years. I was more upbeat in my 20s and 30s, but when I was in my mid-40s, depression took a strong hold on me. I was considering suicide two short years ago, and I was trying to drink myself to death.

I started on meds about 2 years ago and they have really helped. I'm doing far better now. I still get "bummed out" and haven't regained much self-confidence, but I don't plunge in the depths the way I used to.

Back in October, I had a rather unsettling event occur where I lost a very dear friend (and romantic interest). Two years ago, this might have pushed me off the ledge. But now it only saddens me (quite frequently).

I'm functioning better at work and at home. I'm not 100% "cured" (not sure how I would guage that anyway), but I'm not depressed to the degree I was in the recent past.

Last year at this time I was at one of my lowest points ever. With the help of the right meds, therapy and me becoming more honest with myself and those close to me I've been in remission for about 6 months. The fog does begin to creep in now and then. But, it doesn't get far.