Day 13, On Prozac, Can Anyone Relate?

Kristen905

Hello Everyone,

So its my fifth day on Prozac, 20mg to start, I had taken it years back in 2005 and I dont remember how long it took to work, or how I felt. So its making me really nervous now. I cant sleep much at night, feeling wired, and inside all I wanna do is sleep. I find that deep breathing is helping. Had bad headaches the first two days, but seems like those have past. By the end of me taking my meds the last time I was taking 40mg, so im assuming maybe this time ill have to up it. I know this is just the begining but I was so scared to go back on these meds since I havent been on them for so long and didnt want the feeling of being high.

How does the medication work to stop my mind from going a mile a min, or being depressed and not having any motivation? along with the symptons of anxiety like tense neck shoulders, lump in throat, tummy aches and being restless? I know it must work some how because it got me out of my slump years back and was the only thing that helped me, I felt like it saved me.

I also did some therapy with a group of others who have anxiety like myself which helped, Im waitng to hear back from the hospital so I can get back into that group. Just holding on, seems like Ill never be the old me, I just want me back. Wish I could rewind back a couple of weeks to when I felt normal, and didnt wake up everyday worrying about how am i going to get thru the day, or the hour and not have all these symptons.

Depending on how your body metabolizes meds, it could take up to 8 weeks before you receive full benefits. Returning to a past med has its "ifs"-will it work again, what if it doesn't? etc. If your mood doesn't start to lift a little in 3-4 weeks, talk to your pdoc. It can disrupt sleep if taken at night. It also sounds like you are having what I call "med anxiety." We want something to work right away yet fear that it won't. That's a common and normal reaction many people experience.

Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman,

I figured it would take awhile, Its the hard part holding on you know. Wishing I could just have my old life back where this wasnt a problem. Where I enjoyed watchin tv, movies and going out with my friends, where a drive to the post office wouldnt stress me out because im alone. I just cant get much sleep, all I do is worry about if im going to be able to fall asleep, who does that?!!!!. Then ill be stuck all night with these symptons and these thoughts in my head, trapped. Today I have an appointment with an anxiety treatment center, for a program. I hope they can offer me something that will help this, I did treatment back in 2005 and it helped then, but shouldnt that have stuck with me till now? Havent taken my meds yet as I got up at 11am, even thinkin about takin them gives me anxiety, just wish I didnt have to rely on the meds to make me feel better, Just feel like a failure that I resorted back to them after all these years of not taking them. Today has to be better.

As far as things, like treatment programs, they don't last forever unless you have frequent reinforcement. My old tdoc basically told me nothing lasts forever when I had a major meltdown over a decade after leaving therapy. It's good that you're going back into that program to help with your anxiety. Maybe they can also give you info on how to keep your anxiety levels very low with daily coping skills you can practice.

Sheepwoman

Hey,

Im on day 10, feeling so uneasy seems like my thoughts are back to day one today, I cant calm down and relax without having a panic attack or anxiety symtpons, not to mention im scared that I wont be able to sleep tonight, I had a horrible night lastnite and couldnt sleep to the point every two hours was getting up and tossing and turning and im so tired right now. Is there anything I can take frm the pharmacy to go to sleep that is ok to take with prozac, I usually take Gravol but I dont think itll keep me asleep. I just want some sleep tonight, I think thats making me agitated too. I know I have a couple more weeks to go, but I just need a little help. I just want the old me back, So bad!!!! I cant wait when I can eat again, my stomach hurts everyday so bad, pains and not to mention my dry mouth and sweaty feet. I was on prozac years back and its the only med that acutally worked for me, But I do remember

sleeping so I dont get why this time I cant.

Suggestions please guys, Im going to come back on before bed.

Sometimes ADs cause insomnia and that might be a symptom you are dealing with at this time though it wasn't an issue earlier. You definitely need to have a followup with your doctor and discuss the severe anxiety/panic symptoms.

I feel restless, can't concentrate, and agitated when I go too long without proper rest so I can relate to how you are feeling. For sleep I take Trazadone at night which helps me get some quality sleep for the most part. Some people take benadryl which is an over-the-counter med to help with sleep. Hang in there and see your doc asap.

Lindahurt

well Linda,

I took it and it knocked me out, i actually got like 7 hrs of sleep, which should help with my day today. I dont have a family dr as he has retired and I went to a walk in clinic to get my meds, Im going to go back there and ask him what else I can take for sleep. So far woke up with same symptons of anxiety today Day 11 now on meds. The last two days havent been feeling too good, cried which i hadnt done in days, But it could be frm me just starting the meds right?

so today is day 12 on meds, still feeling wired, and bored inside if that makes sense, symmptons arent really there. Went to the Anxiety clinic today to sign up for an 8 month program for therapy and CBT, excitied about that so maybe thats why I feel calm inside, Wish I could just take a nap and rest though for a bit. Why do we feel like this on these drugs? Its like I feel normal but im waiting for the panic or anxiety to kick in? What am i suppose to do when i feel like this? lastnight everything i turned on tv couldnt focus on anything hate that feeling, like i still have no interest. Shud i try readying? Got a book called FEELING GOOD BY DAVID BURNS, has anyone read this?

Hello Everyone,

I have vowed to write in here everyday, since we are all goin through the same problems with anxiety and panic and taking the same meds, figured id get some feedback and advice and know that im not going crazy. So far almost at two weeks, I get headaches here and there, and get agitated sometimes at night, and i cant really sleep at all. I think thats cause of having the anxiety and panic right now, never had problems with sleep otherwise just since i have been sick and started taking prozac, im on 20mg, havent upd it and dont think im going too until i go back the dr, Ive been told it will take 4-6 weeks to see full benefits as of right now im still in the same spot sort of since i started. I havent cried as much, and I still have been able to do my work as i work from home, but i dont have much motivation, and I still feel lonely. Somedays are worse then others with the "normal" feeling, which kind of gets to me cause i wonder am i ok right now? is it going to come back all the symptons? i wait for those feelings and i cant relax even though my body feels wired and calm its weird. I wonder if its the drug doing its job, or it trying to balance out in my brain. I took this med in the past and its the only one that had gotten me outta my slump of panic attacks. Thats why i chose after 5 years of being off of it to go back to it. I went off of it no problem, no side effects. My feet still are sweaty like crazy, and my mouths still dry which i cant stand, not to mention i cant really eat still, dont feel too, when im relaxed although i can eat. I start my anxiety program on fri, never done a full program its an 8month one with CBT too, im excitied, and i get one on one time which ive never had, I hope that this helps, I just want the old me back like ive been writing for two weeks, wanna be able to go shopping, go for a drive without knots in my neck and a lump in my throat and feeling like im in a daze.

• 3 weeks later...

Day 13 fluoxetine

Hi Kirsten I know exactly how you are feeling and it's pretty crap over the past 4 days I have gotten worse diorrhea, nausea having to force myself to eat, headaches, severe back and neck pain also feeling like I am being strangled and have huge lump in throat which is called a Cricopharyngael

Spasm caused by stress and can be from change of medication too. I rang a psych nurse today and have decided to go back to GP and get a referral for a psych evaluation so I can be given correct meds for my condition I refuse to spend anymore time feeling like this I have gone from feeling fine week 1 to feeling terrible it's as if my body is rejecting the meds as I'm not stressed I don't feel depressed I'm sleeping ok too but the constant headaches and nausea is wearing me down, also have some other Heath problems that only flare up when really stressed or sick and I have had all of them this week and just one on its own is unpleasant , I would suggest following the same path as myself talk to someone who has a good understanding of the best meds for you.