Sign in to follow this  
lipstickdreams

Drs Booked For Next Week To Tell About My Ed

Hey,

like title says, I have book an appointment to see the dr and I tried to tell her last time but I could. I am thinking of making a list so that if I start crying again (this happens when i get ultra nervous!) then I can no hide away, its written down but will the dr think this is strange?

I have a binge eating ED and I dont know what I am expecting from my dr, I just want it to STOP! I need help. I have put on nearly 4st since sept when I started on fluoxetine but the more out of control and down I feel, the worse it gets. Such a bad cycle!

Just looking for reassurance really. What did your drs say?? Thanks.

Hi lipstickdreams

I think that it is great that you are going to the doc and I think that it is a brilliant idea to make a list. The doctor won't think it is weird at all, in fact I am sure a few people do that. I certainly tell a lot of people on DF to write everything down and hand it to the doc.

Good luck, it will be ok.

Trace

Hey,

like title says, I have book an appointment to see the dr and I tried to tell her last time but I could. I am thinking of making a list so that if I start crying again (this happens when i get ultra nervous!) then I can no hide away, its written down but will the dr think this is strange?

I have a binge eating ED and I dont know what I am expecting from my dr, I just want it to STOP! I need help. I have put on nearly 4st since sept when I started on fluoxetine but the more out of control and down I feel, the worse it gets. Such a bad cycle!

Just looking for reassurance really. What did your drs say?? Thanks.

lipstickdreams, I take a list to every doctor appointment I have. In fact I have a psychiatrist appointment today and I have the list on my iPhone calendar. Also I gained weight on Luvox over a 2 year period so I can relate to your anguish. See if there is anything your doctor can suggest to help you lose weight. Depending on your circumstances maybe an alternative Medication can be tried, especially if you are not happy with the psychiatric results you are getting. Different meds work differently on different people and it takes some trial and error to find the right prescription.

With regard to gaining weight, I can offer some ideas that might help. In my case my willpower is ZERO against eating junk food. If I have junk in the house I am 100% sure of eating it. Start with buying healthy food. Don't buy junk, buy vegetables and fruits, when you have a craving grab an apple, orange or celery. I have been able to shed a ton of weight by changing my diet. I lost over 4 lbs (2Kg) on a 3 week trip to Asia. Some of their food was gross (icky), but the stuff I liked was actually healthy. I am no expert so do your own research but I have a theory that white is bad. White bread, flour, sugar, salt.... If your doctor gives the OK try joining a gym. I see overweight to morbidly obese people at the gym I attend and I applaud their courage to step up to the challenge. It is NOT easy. Losing weight is NOT EASY. I remember that every time I eat.

I was diagnosed as being obese. I changed doctors, medications and eating habits. I am now at my ideal weight. It took about 3 years to achieve. It was not easy nor was it cheap.

Hmmm, sorry for the rant.

Take a list and a pen or pencil to stroke off the items on the list. Make the list obvious. The doctor has seen lists before. Don't leave before you have checked off everything you want to cover. I get so nervous at a doctor my blood pressure jumps and my mind goes blank. The list is my reality check. Good Luck and take care of yourself.

Hey there! I have an ED, also binging. So, I can really relate to what you said in your post.

I saw a therapist for about 18 weeks, and it did not really help. But, I think that's because I was not clicking with her. After about 12 months she started repeating herself, like she had only one year of material and then started over again! I want to do therapy again with someone else, but maybe not talk therapy.

I have never been to a psychiatrist, but I have an appt for the middle of March. I had my anti-anxiety perscribed by my GP about 6 years ago. So, I want the pdoc to look at what I'm taking and decide if it's the best thing for me. I also want to talk to her about Topomax. It is a migraine headache medication that is now also being used for people with binge eating problems. You might want to discuss it with your Dr.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Maybe you have been to the doctors by now...? If so I hope it went well and you felt understood and supported. I have binge eating disorder, I stopped binge eating for 2 months (which is brilliant for me of late) then as soon as I started my new job started binge eating again. I recently went to the doctors and cried through the whole appointment due to stress from my new job, I have tried to mention the binge eating to him before and I'm sorry to say that he didn't take it seriously. However he has realized that I have high anxiety and showed me he's concerned about this, so he's given me an appointment to see the counsellor. The appointments tomorrow actually, I have seen this counsellor 10 years ago and I know she's very into CBT, I have to say that I feel desperate for help but also, from what I remember of her, I think I will feel reluctant to open up too much. I'm not on any medication, binge eating has been a problem since I was about 16 and my weight goes up and down quite drastically. I think it's a really good step you're taking to go to the doctor, I too feel it's the right thing for me to have done.

I certainly understand the almost panic feeling you get about weight gain from binging. It is hard to talk about th at to a Psych or councilor. I think writing stuff down is a really good way to be sure everything is covered. And, if your Dr is not taking you seriously then you need a different Dr.

Lipstickdreams, let us know how your appt went. Bumblyboo h ave you seen your councilor yet?