Sign in to follow this  
JCKustom13

Can An Ear Infection Trigger Depression

My Depression started around Christmas time (2011) and during when it started I had an ear infection. The ear infection I had was different than most ear infections (or from what atleast people told me) where instead of having constant pain in my ears, I felt off balance and dizzy all the time, it felt like I was swaying at times when I would walk or pick something up.Then it got worse and by the week of Christmas it felt very flu like and I was in bed all day and I kept throwing up. All during this I started feeling really depressed and even felt depersonalization for awhile (its where you feel like the world around you isn't real).

Eventually my ear infection was treated by my doctor but my Depression was still their, up untill recently where its here but not as strong (like its in the back of my mind).

Could an Ear Infection have trigged my depression?

Hi JCKustom13

Stress causes your immune system to fail, which can leave you open to infections and cold-type illnesses. Stress also has an effect on the brain. Stress can disrupt the brain's ability to produce seratonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine, which are found lacking in depressed people.

Perhaps your ear infection and subsequent illness is just a symptom of a stressful lifestyle or stresses that have occurred in your life, just as your depression could be a symptom of stress. Perhaps it's not that the ear infection and illness caused your depression, but that your body's reaction to stress included getting sick and getting depression.

Perhaps your ear infection and subsequent illness is just a symptom of a stressful lifestyle or stresses that have occurred in your life, just as your depression could be a symptom of stress. Perhaps it's not that the ear infection and illness caused your depression, but that your body's reaction to stress included getting sick and getting depression.

I never really had any Stress before I had the ear infection or before I got depressed. I was always a very happy and very relaxed person. Since I have been depressed though I am stressed all time, which I guess makes it worse.

I personally don't think an ear infection all on its own will cause depression. I hope you are seeing a doctor and getting some help.

I personally don't think an ear infection all on its own will cause depression. I hope you are seeing a doctor and getting some help.

I already did, just everyone is still baffled about what caused my depression its like it came for no reason. Everyone else on this website seems to be depressed for not having a job, or a loved one dying, or being abused growng up. I am just depressed for no reason.

Hi again JCKustom,

((hugs)) Sometimes depression just happens. It is a clinical, biological illness that you have no control over developing. There are higher risk people, like those who have suffered a terrible loss, trauma, or other stress. But, there are people who just develop it. Depression is like any other disease. It doesn't need a reason.

Hi JCKustom. I think any illness can bring on depression. The body as a whole is a complicated ecosystem that nobody really understands. My depression is worse when I have other physical problems. Hope this helps, Take Care.

It´s quite common to be depressed after an infection or flu. Your body needs all it´s energy to deal with the infection, so you need to rest and build more energy.

In the old days, doctors diagnosed people to be "depressed after influenza". It was a common diagnosis and I believe to be true today.

Wishing you a good recovery.