What Do You Do To Feel Success?

pearl740

Hi Guys;

I am feeling successful this morning because I am entering day 5 of no SI. I talked with my therapist about "chips" sort of like AA, to have a token reminder of how I am making progress. What do you do to feel success? Just the little things, it doesn't have to be momentous. Last week I felt successful just by wearing "real clothes".

-Pearl

I do not feel successful since losing my job. However, I guess if I had to pick something I would have to say that I am successful if I make it to my doctor appointments and meetings on time. These days I have trouble getting up and getting to appointments and if they are earlier than noon.....forget it.

Those are all great- thank you. I'm working to see every day things as accomplishments these days- getting out of bed for example, going to difficult appointments, etc. I am starting to FEEL the accomplishment too, which is a totally new thing for me. Going on day 6 now, no SI, feels pretty good,

I like to write lists of the things I need to do and crossing them off as I do them really seems to help me with motivation and getting that feeling of succeeding with things.

It also really helps if I am feeling overwhelmed by what I need to do. Putting it down on paper seems to calm me down somewhat.

Feeling successful and accomplished is difficult for me...I never feel whole or complete - nothing ever feels like an achievement. It's something I struggle with everyday and am working on in therapy.

To be honest, I know I have a lot to be proud of...but I just can't feel it. Like today. I feel like a total loser!

I think positive self-talk and distraction helps though. Doing something I enjoy helps boost my mood, and in turn, my self-esteem.

Feeling successful and accomplished is difficult for me...I never feel whole or complete - nothing ever feels like an achievement. It's something I struggle with everyday and am working on in therapy.

To be honest, I know I have a lot to be proud of...but I just can't feel it. Like today. I feel like a total loser!

I think positive self-talk and distraction helps though. Doing something I enjoy helps boost my mood, and in turn, my self-esteem.

*hugs* I know you're not a loser! Sorry you felt that way though!

I agree positive self-talk helps a lot, and it builds into a cycle - if I can do positive self-talk, I feel proud of myself for being able to see the positive angle, and that further builds my mood and self esteem. I have no idea how I managed before I could do positive self-talk! It was really hard, I was always talking myself down, sort of internal bullying. It is really worth challenging that, it takes time and therapy helps, and if you can learn the skill of doing it, really has a positive impact, imo.

*hugs* I know you're not a loser! Sorry you felt that way though!

I agree positive self-talk helps a lot, and it builds into a cycle - if I can do positive self-talk, I feel proud of myself for being able to see the positive angle, and that further builds my mood and self esteem. I have no idea how I managed before I could do positive self-talk! It was really hard, I was always talking myself down, sort of internal bullying. It is really worth challenging that, it takes time and therapy helps, and if you can learn the skill of doing it, really has a positive impact, imo.

Thank you, Shyboots! :hugs: I feel better today - hopefully this feeling lasts! I've been having a lot of ups and downs lately.

Positive self-talk is great...it's hard to build into a routine, but it helps a lot, and I think it gets easier as you practice and incorporate it more into your life. Group and individual therapies have been helping me a lot with it as well.