Sign in to follow this  
Blanche

First Week Side Effects

I'm on day 4 of Venlafaxine (37.5mg twice a day coupled with .25 Xanax) and yesterday and today I've been feeling kinda low. I'm not motivated at all to work, but I am at work...I just want to get through the day and go home. I also feel detached and don't want to interact with anyone.

Compared to side effects that I have had with other meds, I think I can handle this, but I just want to know if it is a side effect? Is this common when people start effexor? If so, how long before you get out of the initial funk?

Yes that's definitely a side effect. Kinda feels like you're a zombie just going through the day. I'm actually just going on Effexor again, have been on it in the past and am having similar start up effects again. It normally passes by the 2 week mark (in my experiences)

Thanks, Nicole! That will help me work through it. I felt absolutely insane when I was on prozac and zoloft and that I definitely was not able to handle, but I will keep pressing on with this and hope it gets better day by day.

I was a little anxious this morning, but not paralyzing like it was on prozac and zoloft. The anxiety lifted around 10am (weird because I took my xanax at 6am) and I feel pretty good now. I am noticing that I am clenching my jaw which is something I don't think I used to do. I do have some dry mouth, but that really doesn't bother me...I figure it helps me to remember to drink plenty of water!

I was a little anxious this morning, but not paralyzing like it was on prozac and zoloft. The anxiety lifted around 10am (weird because I took my xanax at 6am) and I feel pretty good now. I am noticing that I am clenching my jaw which is something I don't think I used to do. I do have some dry mouth, but that really doesn't bother me...I figure it helps me to remember to drink plenty of water!

Yeah it's common for anxiety to be worse to start with too. Know what you mean about the dry mouth, but it's definitely good to drink more water :-)

I'm on day 6 tomorrow and most of the awful effects have settled, bit of nausea and dizziness but nothing too bad. How are you doing?

Yeah it's common for anxiety to be worse to start with too. Know what you mean about the dry mouth, but it's definitely good to drink more water :-)

I'm on day 6 tomorrow and most of the awful effects have settled, bit of nausea and dizziness but nothing too bad. How are you doing?

Day 9 now. I wasn't very motivated this weekend, but I wasn't depressed. I didn't have anxiety this weekend, but I do this morning, but my anxiety has been definitely tied in with work. So...I'm REALLY hoping that this anxiety will pass soon. I never had it until I tried prozac and now it just doesn't seem to go away completely. I'm also still clenching my jaw and I have found that I am falling asleep way too early...like passing out on the couch at 8:00 every night.

How are you doing?

Yeah the start up anxiety should settle soon :-) I'm on day 10 now and seems like today things have changed. Don't feel as depressed, it was making me way more depressed the last week. Still got the sweating pretty bad and the vivid dreams, but not full on nightmares yet like normally on Efexor. Also have the clenchy jaw but not as bad as it gets on Lexapro. I have insomnia, but that's normal. Actually having a better quality of sleep. Hope you're doing well!

Yeah the start up anxiety should settle soon :-) I'm on day 10 now and seems like today things have changed. Don't feel as depressed, it was making me way more depressed the last week. Still got the sweating pretty bad and the vivid dreams, but not full on nightmares yet like normally on Efexor. Also have the clenchy jaw but not as bad as it gets on Lexapro. I have insomnia, but that's normal. Actually having a better quality of sleep. Hope you're doing well!

I think I'm on day 13 and I have had 3 good days in a row! The low mood and morning anxiety are both gone. I am actually pleasant for a change! Still jaw clenching a little, but not as bad as I was last week. I am having vivid dreams too, but not nightmares. I am sleeping through the night. Looks like we may be out of the woods and it is starting to work!

Edited by Blanche

Starting taking this today (had my morning dose of 37.4 mg about an hour ago).

This is my first time on Venlafaxine after years of trying varous SSRIs but most of them conking out on me after about 2 years and a recent disastrous attempt to take Mirtazapine (gained 8-9 kilos in 2 months and could barely walk with joint pain in my lower body).

I am really pleased to see this thread to see what others have experienced in the early days. As i said, i took my first dose about an hour ago and just had to run to the toilet thinking i was going to vomit (but didnt). I had a full stomach when i took the pill, but still feel nauseous. Am really hoping this med works for me, and that the side effects do settle down as they are expected to.

Has anyone noticed an impact on their appetite? The reason i ask is that i am keen to work off this extra weight i gained with Mirtazapine (which made me eat like a pig!!) and would be happy if it didnt increase my appetite like the MIrtazapine did :uh-uh:

Hi Bright Eyes,

This is my second week taking of Effexor XR. The first week was very difficult, as I was anxious and not hungry. I lost 2 pounds that week. I am happy to report that it is taking effect and feel much better this week. However, my appetite has returned with my good mood! LOL Best wishes.

Am on day 6 now and am actually feeling okay. The nausea has pretty much settled and have lost the ravenous hunger that i had when i was on Mirtazipine (thank goodness!).

I am going up in dose next week to get to the full dose. Fingers crossed that goes okay as well.

Two Goldies, glad you are feeling better :thumbs-up:

Lol I just upped my dosages to 235mg and I can't stay awake. I just slept like 8 hours last night and now I just slept another 3 and it's 3pm now. This happened when I first started taking it. It will go away

I am back to report. I'm about to start week 6. I haven't had any anxiety in over a month and my mood has been GREAT. I feel completely different...dare I say "normal" ;) I'm actually in a good mood most of the time and I feel very even (no mood swings). I also had some very stressful things happen over the last two weeks and I handled everything like a champ. I even stopped taking the Xanax about 3 weeks ago.

I am definitely an Effexor success story.

I'm not sure if this is going to be the correct place as I've started taking Venlafaxine today but it's Venlalic XL not Effexor.

I was prescribed these by the doctor yesterday and started today. Have had depression for a long time (since around 15 and I'm not far off 34 now) and have been prescribed various others in the past (Seroxat, Citalopram and more) which I didn't like. The last ones I had about me 5 years ago made me so numb and blank that I couldn't feel anything and got myself in a right mess. Because of that I said I'd never go on any anti-depressant ever again and have tried to sort myself out since but have not managed and have been pushed here by family and friends really.

Am suffering tremors in my face and body, headache, general nausea, chills, tiredness and feeling spaced out or zombieish, had diarrhoea earlier but haven't had it since. Feel awful to be honest but I've had a lot of these side effects before when going on or coming off this type of stuff. Hope it improves quickly!

Edited by ANJB78

ANJB78, I hope Venlalic works for you and that the side effects fade soon.

Hi everyone. I've noticed that alot of you are experiencing excessive tiredness. My doctor instructed me to take it every other day for the first week until my body's adjusted. It's been only a few days since starting Effexor XR 75mg and I can't sit still long enough to even think about sleep much less actually rest. This stuff makes me so nervous, I just about jump out of my skin if anyone makes any sudden movement. My pupils are HUGE (hence the user name), muscles feel like they're being contracted to capacity, but I'm physically exhausted. When it finally wore off, my jaw felt like it was aboout to fall off and teeth hurt so bad because of clenching. I can handle most of the side effects but the one I worry about is the sleeplessness. I attend college and work also. I'd rather not add a sleeping aid to the mix. I hope once I get used to the meds, I'll be able to sleep.

Wow. My pupils have also been the size of dinner plates today

Hahaha mine still get huge!! It's a common thing with Effexor!

I think i'm up to week 7 now, and doing soo much better side effect wise. Truly the first 2 weeks are hell, then the hell starts to ease off in the next 2 weeks. Anyone that doesn't have faith and is in the first two weeks, just push past it!! I've never felt worse starting a med other than effexor, but it's the one that actually works for me (once those start up effects fade)

The vivid dreams never go for me, nor does the effected sex drive. But it's not unbearable.

Really glad to find this thread. I am on day 3 of effexor xr 37.5 for anxiety and mild depression. I just came home from work early as I felt really teary and upset. Hope this will pass as I really want this med to help me get my life back on track. I'm new to the forum but already feel better reading your posts Blanche & Nicole. :)