The Meaning Of Life?

There are many times, when depression has a hold on me, that I ask myself the question- why bother? Why get up every day and go through all the familiar routines, through all the motions, when life feels so empty and meaningless? I can't think of anything this world has to offer that is worth in trade the hellish pain of major depression.

For most of us, everything we accomplished during our lives will be gone and forgotten within a generation at most. Our names will not be remembered, and even if they were, how does that help now?

The only answers that come to mind are these: First, we are on this earth to make a choice- whether to accept the love of Jesus Christ and His gift of eternal life. Second, whether we will do what is within our power to help others make the first choice, loving others as Christ has commanded us.

This is such an important question for all of us, but even more so with those of us who struggle with making it through every day, and who sometimes think that ending it all could be an answer.

What does your life mean to you, or in other terms, what keeps you going when you wonder what it's all for?

This is an interesting and important topic.

I believe we are here on earth to face challenges, learn how to love ourselves and our fellow human beings. I also believe we have set ourselves some tasks to resolve.

I believe in a higher power and for me it is a spiritual energy I can surrender to when I feel down or don´t know what to do. I don´t believe in the Bible, but I do believe in the almighty. I cannot define God or Jesus, but I do believe in the afterlife and I think my loved ones who have passed away are there for me on the other side.

I think that each culture has it´s own spiritual leader which is basically a higher power. My ancestors were Vikings and we haven´t changed much in regards for religion.

I do believe in christian values, as I´m also raised in a christian culture.

When I´ve been really down and depressed, I have asked my higher power or my loved ones to guide me through the difficulties. What helps me the most is nature and it´s beauty. I draw great strenght from nature and quite often it´s enough for me to drive to the beach and watch the sea, or sit in a lava field to draw strenght from it´s wonder.

I am an atheist and believe that we give our lives meaning via the choices we make. I also believe that our lives' meaning changes from moment to moment, much as Viktor Frankl describes in his book Man's Search For Meaning.

Life may seem meaningless, much like the myth of Sisyphus and his endless task, but the key thing to remember is he (Sisyphus) never gives up. His perseverance is itself what becomes the meaning of his life. So should we all never give up, regardless of how absurd our very existence may seem at times, if only for the sake of bettering ourselves as human beings. In this regard, our very quest for meaning is the very thing that imparts meaning to us.

Peace,

Tim

Edited by LonelyHiker

• 1 month later...

Wow, LonelyHiker, that was very well put.

This is a very interesting topic that keeps me up many nights, and my opinion on it changes depending on my mood. I'm simply too tired (physically and emotionally) to have an original thought on it right now, but I'm glad I stumbled upon this discussion.

Thank you, evalynn! I've always enjoyed these kinds of discussions too. Sisyphus has become a hero of sorts to me lately. No matter how bad things get, no matter how low I feel, I force myself to keep my shoulder against that big hunk of stone and keep pushing...

Peace,

Tim

There are many times, when depression has a hold on me, that I ask myself the question- why bother? Why get up every day and go through all the familiar routines, through all the motions, when life feels so empty and meaningless? I can't think of anything this world has to offer that is worth in trade the hellish pain of major depression.

For most of us, everything we accomplished during our lives will be gone and forgotten within a generation at most. Our names will not be remembered, and even if they were, how does that help now?

The only answers that come to mind are these: First, we are on this earth to make a choice- whether to accept the love of Jesus Christ and His gift of eternal life. Second, whether we will do what is within our power to help others make the first choice, loving others as Christ has commanded us.

This is such an important question for all of us, but even more so with those of us who struggle with making it through every day, and who sometimes think that ending it all could be an answer.

What does your life mean to you, or in other terms, what keeps you going when you wonder what it's all for?

there is much meaning to life but because of our mental illness ours is a bit skewed and yes others will remember us once we are gone but for Christians what is more important is that God remember us once we live this earth; we will live for eternety in His arms. Our children, family and friends will remember us, i remember my love ones who have gone, my mother and father and other loved ones.

as for the meaning of life, we need to step outside of ourselves and help others who may be in need, i decided to help homeless veterans in my area, i choose them because i too am a veteran and was homeless with my family, to include my wife and six kids. this helped me to empathize with others who are in need. i collect clothing, bedding and whatever else they can use from local churches and really anyone willing to help, of course because of the economy it been a bit hard but this just makes me work that much harder. please try doing something that will bring satisfaction to your life and by the way in doing this we are following the Lord's example. if you are having a hard time at present it may be time to visit your pdoc. God bless you and i will be praying for you. Rev. Frank v.

Everyone keeps saying that the gift from Jesus is eternal life. Well, what if I don't want eternal life? I just want life to be done with. What good is a gift if you dont want it??

but eternal life with Jesus will be nothing like it is now. according to scripture there will be no suffering, no tears nor saddness, this includes mental illness. please don't be discouraged Brkjrr, though life is sometimes not so grand for us here due to our illness life is going to be perfect in heaven with our Saviour. i believe this one hundred percent but i am not waiting only for this, i am doing the best i can to have a good life here; we shouldn't be miserable living this life, we need to do our best to live a good life here. Lord bless, you will be in my constant prayers. this are not just empty words, i really do believe all this and i really do pray for everyone here. Rev. Frank

Thank you, evalynn! I've always enjoyed these kinds of discussions too. Sisyphus has become a hero of sorts to me lately. No matter how bad things get, no matter how low I feel, I force myself to keep my shoulder against that big hunk of stone and keep pushing...

Peace,

Tim

and never stop pushing, some day we will have our breakhrough.

I believe we are here on earth to face challenges, learn how to love ourselves and our fellow human beings. I also believe we have set ourselves some tasks to resolve.

I believe in a higher power and for me it is a spiritual energy I can surrender to when I feel down or don´t know what to do. I don´t believe in the Bible, but I do believe in the almighty. I cannot define God or Jesus, but I do believe in the afterlife and I think my loved ones who have passed away are there for me on the other side.

I think that each culture has it´s own spiritual leader which is basically a higher power. My ancestors were Vikings and we haven´t changed much in regards for religion.

When I´ve been really down and depressed, I have asked my higher power or my loved ones to guide me through the difficulties. What helps me the most is nature and it´s beauty. I draw great strenght from nature and quite often it´s enough for me to drive to the beach and watch the sea, or sit in a lava field to draw strenght from it´s wonder.

hi there violet, hope you are having a good one, don't know if its day or night there, sorry. when you marvel at nature's beauty you are marveling at God's creation. i too love nature and the solace it can offer us, i often jump on my bike and go for a long bike ride and just enjoy it very much all by myself. i dont know anything about the viking religion but i do know that many converted to christianity way back. i try to talk with God daily asking for guidance, strenght, patients, love, etc. and i try to remember what my mother thaught me about life, follow her example and in general try to be a good guy. the bible is what guides my life or at least i try to follow it and it brings much solace to know that there is something greater than us and something to look forward to after we leave this life. thank you for your insight and may you always be blessed.

I believe all of us affect many people/things around us throughout our lives - ' 'the butterfly effect'. You may never know the good you do by a single word or a single act of kindness but it may have changed the world in some way.

To me life is a spiritual conundrum with clues sprinkled here and there. The more I seek clues the less I find. It is of great frustration to me but I know it's there with me and this is a comfort.

hi there violet, hope you are having a good one, don't know if its day or night there, sorry. when you marvel at nature's beauty you are marveling at God's creation. i too love nature and the solace it can offer us, i often jump on my bike and go for a long bike ride and just enjoy it very much all by myself. i dont know anything about the viking religion but i do know that many converted to christianity way back. i try to talk with God daily asking for guidance, strenght, patients, love, etc. and i try to remember what my mother thaught me about life, follow her example and in general try to be a good guy. the bible is what guides my life or at least i try to follow it and it brings much solace to know that there is something greater than us and something to look forward to after we leave this life. thank you for your insight and may you always be blessed.

Thank you, vega57. The Viking religion consists mainly of a strong belief in fate, worship of nature and our ancestors. I believe my departed relatives are with me every day, looking after me and I can turn to them in the hour of need. We believe in giving back to the nature what we take from it. When we pray, we pray to our ancestors. In my mind there is some energy I like to call the Almighty and I think for many people that may be God. We call it different names.

I do believe we have a strong purpose here on earth and that we carry what we have learned with us to the afterlife. When there is no meaning to be found, I like to create meaning. I love the works of Viktor Frankl who lived through the holocaust and wrote the book "Man´s Search For Meaning" It´s in my signature, I like to look at it every day.