Self Isolation

Hi noselfesteem, and welcome to DF! We are glad to have you here. This is a wonderful community full of kind, caring people, who can relate and offer you emotional support.

This is a great place to make friends. So take a look around, and post wherever you feel most comfortable.

Hi noselfesteem and welcome to DF. :welcomeani:

Isolation is one of the unfortunate side effects of depression. You might want to go to Emotions Anonymous to meet people who have similar issues and get support from them.

If you don´t have a hobby, think about something that you want to do. It could be yoga, taking language or cooking classes etc. You will meet new people and gradually begin to start a new life.

Wishing you the best,

Welcome to DF noselfesteem, we are glad to have you! It is great that you made the step to post here and receive needed support. This is an excellent community in which to meet others who understand your unique situation. Feel free to browse around and familiarize yourself with how the site works. I look forward to hearing more from you!

welcome!!!

People here are very supportive and many could relate to you. In my case I don´t live alone, yet, I feel mostly on my own when it comes to my issue. I could spend entire weekends without coming out of my room. As for my friendships, well, I tend to lose contact with them often. I hope you feel better and find the support you need. see ya.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey noselfesteem,

I'm totally with you on the self-induced isolation. I never feel at ease with myself or with other people so I find it simpler to be on my own. Ironically I'm pretty sure that a supportive community would be a big help and I have plenty of people in my life who try to reach out to me.... but I just ignore them, and then hate myself for hurting them.

• 1 month later...

Hey noselfesteem,

I hope things have gotten better in the time that has passed. I just thought I'd share that I am self isolating because I'm afraid of hurting people or being a burden. It's a lot of depressive thinking, and joining in with other people with help. It all takes practice, and I hope we can all practice together. I am making it my own goal to join in with the world because being alone seem to amplify the effects of my depression. I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Hiya,

Nice to meet you noselfesteem. I am always locking myself away in my room and avoiding any conversation with people. I have no confidence when I talk to people anyway and think if I do talk, I'll come off as depressed or stupid which might not be the case. The internet is a wonderful thing! My heart goes out to you.

Hey everyone, like most of you I also self-isolate, but for me it is an issue of wanting to avoid rejection as well as feeling like I never get along with people in the first place. I am not sure where to begin talking to people and making a stable support system, but I am sick of being alone because I think it makes me more depressed than before. Any suggestions?

Hi always alone,

I'm in the exact same situation. Over the last few years, I have cut off contact with all friends because I thought they didn't like me, and I didn't want them to hurt me. I'm terrified of being rejected.

The only thing that has semi worked for me is to try and build friendships with people I work with. I don't have the self-esteem or confidence to join a club or just approach strangers, but coworkers already know me (at least a little), so it's not so scary.

I know it's hard to rebuild your support system. I'm working on it, too.

• 5 weeks later...

For the past several months, I've experienced self-isolation (besides dr and therapy appts) I just don't feel any deire to be with others. I'm afraid this has probably caused much damage to short AND long-term friendships. Right now I find myself not really caring. I truly hope things get better for you!

I'm pretty much going through the same thing. So many people hurt me and it's getting to the point where people rarely talk to me and I think... hmm ya they hate me oh well. All I want is friends, even if it's online but heh I'm starting to lose hope. I help others, act nice and sweet, but where does it get me? Does anyone honestly care about me anyways? Very doubtful, cause if they cared they wouldn't forget about me. :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm the same, find it hard to relate to most people, feel misunderstood and therefore tend to spend a lot of time alone, only seeing people when I need to. I have a few friends but only see them a couple of times a year (my choice) and tend to spend time on facebook, but then get totally fed up because I do actually want someone to understand me and be there for me. I had a partner for 3 years but it was an on and off relationship and because of my personality problems etc and me thinking she didn't understand me the relationship is off again, and I am so lonely a lot of the time. At least coming on here I know there are more people that feel like me.

• 3 weeks later...

I live alone and feel safe and secure alone in my house with just my dogs. Even walking to the mailbox makes me nervous and trash day is a nightmare as I have to make two trips down. My kids come over once a week or so and while I love them more than I can say sometimes even that feels overwhelming to me. I had myself tested in one of those personality tests and it turned out I scored highest in Introvert than anyone they'd ever tested. That helped me really. Now I know why I do and feel what I do. I can respect the fact I need a lot of alone time after all that interaction at work which can be exhausting for me. Also, you might try a trip or two to the library. It gets me out of the house and no one speaks to me or rarely anyway. It's a good way to see the world!

hi no selfesteem

you came to the correct place whare many people can and will relate to you and with you and can help you and will always give you their ears to listen to you when you feel there is no hope these people will help you relight your flame of hope even in our darkest hours.

they have done a lot to keep my flame lit and burning and they have helped me to tend the flame in my soul to keep from going out as they can understand me and relate with me and understand what i go through from each passing day.

i too myself keep myself to myself and lock myself away in my house from the world outside and my only solace is my old pc thats 6 years old it plays my music and plays my games.there are days i keep ontop of my medication and there are days i wont take them and i end up bouncing off the walls and not in prety ways either but my friends iv met and made here.