Sign in to follow this  
Mysticmiki

Adding Wellbutrin To Cymbalta For Help Quitting Smoking

I've been very happy on Cymbalta for 4+ years now, no side affects, and feeling "normal"...have proper highs and lows, cry when I need to, etc. I need to quit smoking now, and the Dr. has suggested I try taking Wellbutrin as a positive side effect is that the inmates they trialed it on, quit smoking, quite inexplicably. Please give me your feedback on whether or not it helped you quit smoking?

Welcome to the DF Mystickmiki,

I too have been on Cymbalta successfully for four years, and although I cannot speak personally about Wellbutrin, I know it is prescribed for smoking cessation. You might look around in the Wellbutrin room and see if anyone has had luck with it helping them quit.

Just wanted to welcome you.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

I've been very happy on Cymbalta for 4+ years now, no side affects, and feeling "normal"...have proper highs and lows, cry when I need to, etc. I need to quit smoking now, and the Dr. has suggested I try taking Wellbutrin as a positive side effect is that the inmates they trialed it on, quit smoking, quite inexplicably. Please give me your feedback on whether or not it helped you quit smoking?

Mysticmiki if you try the combo of cymbalta and wellbutrin I would certainly be interested in hearing your comments. I'm on 60mg cymbalta and feel good about half the time. Could wellbutrin be the answer? Please share your experience. Thanks!

I have been on Cymbalta for about 4 months. Had to up the dosage from 60, to 90, and now 120mg bc each time I'd feel amazing then the effects seemed to wear off and back to depression. Which made me start smoking again (yeah when it rains...). My psych gave me Welbutrin to try and help quit about 1 week ago. The first day I took both I thought I was a whole new person. I felt this deep sense of happiness, energy, joy, it was amazing. Since, I feel more "normal" but tend to be more energetic (I do need a little nap during the day still), happy, and I can curb smoking. Planning on quitting altogether when my pack runs out.

I am also taking Remeron which I am supposed to diminish and eventually quit over the next 3 weeks bc I have gained 19lb in 3 months. Went from slim to plain fat. Hoping that too will go away.

Good luck!

I have been on Cymbalta for about 4 months. Had to up the dosage from 60, to 90, and now 120mg bc each time I'd feel amazing then the effects seemed to wear off and back to depression. Which made me start smoking again (yeah when it rains...). My psych gave me Welbutrin to try and help quit about 1 week ago. The first day I took both I thought I was a whole new person. I felt this deep sense of happiness, energy, joy, it was amazing. Since, I feel more "normal" but tend to be more energetic (I do need a little nap during the day still), happy, and I can curb smoking. Planning on quitting altogether when my pack runs out.

I am also taking Remeron which I am supposed to diminish and eventually quit over the next 3 weeks bc I have gained 19lb in 3 months. Went from slim to plain fat. Hoping that too will go away.

Good luck!

I didn't even explained ow Welbutrin works. You just start deciding that it's too cold, dark or whatever outside to go have that smoke and find yourself doing other things without really needing to smoke. That simple.

Fantastic results with quitting smoking and I'm glad you are altogether feeling better with taking both medications. Sorry to hear about your weight gain with the Remeron. Good thing you get to go off it soon. Thanks for the good news and welcome to the forums!

laurelb

Last night i retired a couple pair of jeans. They no longer fit. The weight loss I have managed while being on cymbalta is probably over 30 pounds in 2 years. I dug out some old jeans that still look good and am wearing them now. My wife told me to go buy new ones! I don't think so, I want to wear these ones out first....

My point is that Cymbalta did not cause me weight gain like the previous drug Luvox (fluvoxamine) did. I managed to lose a pile of weight by eating healthy and exercise. That in itself is anti depressing! BTW I am on 90 mg now. Good luck!

I don't remember how many years ago I went on wellbutrin to help me stop smoking. It didn't help me a bit and I gained weight even though my diet didn't change. I still smoke, but I'm back on wellbutrin for depression now. I didn't get shaky with it last time but this time my limbs feel almost like jello wigglers---I hope it goes away soon because it makes me seem anxious even when I don't feel anxious and then seeming anxious makes me anxious. lol Can't win for losing sometimes. I wish there were something to take that would make cigarettes taste nasty enough to me to quit.

Best wishes.

I use cymbalta as my main antidepressant. My psych. and I added wellbutrin to try and help my moods along a little. I'm a regular smoker. What I noticed was honestly that cigarettes started tasting absolutley foul. I think that, combined with the general energy+appetite/addiction supressant qualities of the WB is what was making it an accidental anti-smoking aid for me. However, if you continue to smoke (as I did at first) you can just move past that point where the cigarette tastes bad and you don't want it. In other words, it's a helper, but you still have to want to quit and be ready to quit and have the discipline and all that, in my opinion.

Hello, I'm new to this site and fairly new to AD's, though I was on Effexor for about 1.5 yrs but that was nearly 10 yrs ago.

I've been on WB for about 2.5 months (150mg for 2 months, 300 recently), after 3 failed AD's, escitalopram, risperidone, pristiq. I'm Wondering, since WB at 300mg is ******* my sleep, if anyone out there has experience with WB and Cymbalta and can share their experiences pertaining mainly to sleep and congition, as I'm also a post secondary student, cognition failure increases my depression cause I seem to judge myself on my grades.

Also would be curious to know, as I read that Cymbalta helps with chronic pain, if anyone can share about that as I suffer, intensley at times.

Pristiq was no good for me cause of major aggitation and anxiety, but Effexor didn't do that to me in the past. I'm not sure where I'd stand with another SNRI but am willing to try.