Will This Anxiety Ever Go Away?

Hey everyone,

I've been suffering from anxiety for a number of years now which has been a result of the depression I suffered in 2006. I managed to get treatment for my depression with the use of CBT and medication. The CBT was very successful and now I am only taking medication. I have been on the same medication for about more than 4 years and really worked for me so my doctor decided to reduce my dosage gradually last year. I started off on 30mg of paroxetine then down to 20mg, i only had a few side effects during this time such as brain zaps and pins and needles. Then she decided to go down to 10mg, for about 2-3 months i was doing great, i had no side effects whatsoever until november last year i had the worst day of my life. I had a huge panic attack which lasted all day and night and I couldn't stop crying because of it. My body totally shut down physically and mentally for about 2 weeks. I had no appetite, rapid heart beat, pins and needles all over, felt like i was going crazy, didn't want to go out, sweating and shaking. This was the first time i had ever experienced a panic attack and i seriously thought i was going to die. This overwhelming feeling of fear would not shake off for about a week until i decided to go back to my doctor and explain what had happened. She told me to take two 10mg tablets daily to see if it would help. It did help but didn't completely get rid of the anxiety. She then offered me to take 2mg of diazepam but i refused to take it because i didn't want to become dependent on them because i was trying to slowly wean myself of the paroxetine. I was so determined to get myself off this medication and then all of a sudden this happened and i was really disappointed.

I am currently on my final year and semester at university studying psychology and health and i still have the occasional panic attack which come out of nowhere especially when i'm at work :verysad3: . They are really bad when i'm at work, i feel extremely weak, light headed and irrational disturbing thoughts come into my head. Because i work at a delicatessan

there are knives around and the last time i was at work i started having irrational thoughts of taking the knife and harming myself and the customers.

When that thought came into my mind i started to panic and i wanted to get out of that place. I'm not sure why these thoughts appeared in my mind and it scared me so much!!!

Ever since i had my first panic attack, i can't seem to shake this annoying anxiety and is effecting my concentration on my studies, my friendships and my family. I'm starting to get depressed about my anxiety that it will never go away and that i will always be constantly tense and on edge. I really want to get good grades but this is holding me back. I was doing fine until that panic attack happened. I want to get back to my old self. :whatsthat:

Edited by Trace
Add Spoiler

Depression and Anxiety are a dangerous mix. When the anxiety leaves, you're depressed, when you're depression leaves, you're anxious, etc... All of this comes from the vicious cycle of anxiety/depression. We often want a "quick fix", wanting things like

"I wish there was a simple and fast solution which will permanently delete my anxiety!"

The unfortunate reality is, this sort of wishful thinking only adds fuel to the fire. We are too "in our heads", we are producing copious amounts of cortisol, and it seems like there's nothing we can do about it.

Well let me tell you something: Anxiety is curable. There are so many things that help.

1) Psychotherapy

2) Medication

3) Self Help and Alternate Treatments

I can't diagnose or treat you, I am not a doctor, but I DO deal with anxiety, and I've beaten it in the past.

I can PM you for additional help if you'd like. I'm here for you. This is curable. You aren't alone :)

--Angoisse

Thank you Angiosse for reassuring me that I am not alone in this. But there are days when i really do feel alone and the only people who i talk to about my problem is my family. I do have their support from them as my dad also suffers from terrible panic attacks in which he has been trying to deal with for almost 15 years. He doesn't take any medication or receive any therapy for his condition, however it does impact his life on a daily basis especially when he has to go to work and also when we want to go out as a family for dinner or outings.

I'm scared to tell my friends that I am suffering from this as they may treat me differently or think that I am making it up. I had a bad day today, my anxiety was really at a high level and I really wanted to go to my class but I ended up not going because of the fear of having a panic attack. I am really disappointed in myself that I didn't go because I am not the type of person that quits something, I always persevere when things get tough but today I really couldn't go. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a different day and I will be able to go to my class. :Coopwink:

Yes, I've been there! Some things that really help me are:

1) Valium - I don't like depending on medications, but it can make all the difference depending on how bad your anxiety is.

2)Meditation - There are too many benefits here to count, it makes you relaxed, happy, and in control of your thoughts and feelings

3) Exercise - When I'm producing too much adrenaline, it's important I give it somewhere to go!

4) Socialization - I hate socializing when I'm depressed/anxious, but when I force myself to do it, I usually feel a lot better!

I've beaten this completely in the past, to 100% cured. Only reason I'm back now may be due to my medication (40mg Prozac, and no Benzodiazepenes).

Good luck in all your endeavors, from what you say, you seem pretty strong. Take care! :hearts:

-- Angoisse

I have depression coupled with anxiety...The anxiety is with me more at night now than during the day and it can get pretty bad and is very hard to shake. I can't use use my psychologist's standard "Mental Judo" techniques at night but one thing that helps is to try and be in the current. Pick 5 things in the room and concentrate on them for a minute. Pick five colors in the room. Listen to the sounds around you. What this does is distract you. It does help me. I also find breathing and stretching helpful. I do this while laying down in bed. If the anxiety gets too The bad then I get up and go sit in the living room and watch a show, or get a snack or logon to the computer....anything to distract me. Then after an hour or so I am able to go back to bed. Unfortunately, I do not get alot of quality sleep because my anxiety is coupled with nightmares. When I was on Well butrin and Nortriptyline the nightmares were through the roof. I am no longer on those, thank God.

Today I discussed my plan to deal with my depression and anxiety and he reminded me that it is like a stool, that requires four legs to hold up, without one would fall over. The four legs are:

1. Counseling

2. Medication

3. Social Support

4. Exercise and Diet

Today I discussed my plan to deal with my depression and anxiety and he reminded me that it is like a stool, that requires four legs to hold up, without one would fall over. The four legs are:

1. Counseling

2. Medication

3. Social Support

4. Exercise and Diet

That is awesome! I never looked at it in that way!

I have 1 to 3 down pat. the 4th.. well.. I'm working on it. :)

Well i managed to go to my class and it ended up being a very enjoyable class!! But whilst i was driving home all the anxiety started creeping back and i arrived home crying as per usual when i experience anxiety and panic. And yesterday was my first session with the university counsellor, it was okay i guess but i felt like she was just sitting there and not really helping me sort out my problem. Throughout the whole of the day my mood was at an all time low and started thinking negatively about everything in my life that i will never get better and i will never succeed in life. I woke up this morning feeling a little better than yesterday but my sister knew that there was something wrong with me because i was quite withdrawn. At the moment, i have a low appetite, low concentration level and i just feel like i have no motivation to study. Anyway, I managed to book an appointment with my doctor to tell her about the situation, i just hope she helps me in some way because i feel like i am at a dead end right now.

• 9 months later...