Sign in to follow this  
AquaViolet

Is Anybody Else Here On Disability Because Of Mental Illness?

I got on SSDI (disability) in 2010 at the age of 28. Approved the first time. Debilitating panic disorder.... and I also have other issues (physical). I was on Food stamps but need to renew them. I am also QMB from medicare. They pay 100% parts A,B, deductible, and co pay. I am also on extra help for part D. Although I wish I had a real nice job and was able to function like a normal human being ;)

I was denied Ssdi for depression. While my GP approved for the appeal, my soon to be ex psychiatrist said bipolar being controlled with medication. My attorney told me this doctor is notorious for being no help. Now that I have an initial asperger's diagnosis, and have an appointment pending with vocational rehab, it might make a difference.

Ya.. that should help! DO NOT give up!

Meistersinger, if you're in the US, the Amended ADA says that they may NOT consider whether or not medication can control a disability when making their determination.

You may need to approach your attorney with the updated information in hand.

Good luck!

Meistersinger, if you're in the US, the Amended ADA says that they may NOT consider whether or not medication can control a disability when making their determination.

You may need to approach your attorney with the updated information in hand.

Good luck!

That determination was made by PA OVR, who made that determination based on my psychiatrists records. From what my attorney tells me, this doctor is notorious for being no assistance. My GP, has no problem considering me disabled. The same with my therapist, who diagnosed me with Asperger's.

My attorney is probably already familiar with the Amended ADA. His paralegal, on the other hand, gets annoyed when I send my records to him before he requests them.

Im applying online for disabiity because of chronic back pain and I have major depressive disorder recurrent severe without psychotic features. Does anyone have any advice on the disability process and mental disabilities?

I have been on Short Term Disability since May 2014 (four months now). I am going to be on Long Term Disability in the next two weeks. I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder.

I have recently recived a PIP (Personal Inderpendace Payment) interview and am on ESA (Employment Support Allowance) and Housing Benefit currently. Hopfully I will be approved PIP though I'm really quite nervious about Friday this week. Hopefully it'll go ok.

The first time I applied they said I did not quality for it.

This was like 2-3 years ago ....However, I have tried like 20 medications for MDD, OCD , and anxiety, and nothing seems to work.

I work part-time and I go to school part-time. I am lucky to live with my parents, otherwise I don't know what i would do .

If things don't get better I will apply again .....

Also, I forgot to mention that I do have friends who are on disability.

One of my friends has fibromalgia , another one has treatment - resistant depression, the other is bipolar, and the other one has schizophrenia ....I think it takes time. You have to fit for it, but eventually you should get it if you need it..

I took a year off for surgical menopause related depression in 1998 and then I took six weeks earlier this year for a nervous breakdown. I wish I could get permanent disability for depression but doctors rarely support that. I don't think I have it severe enough - and maybe going into work is a good thing for me since I'm single and it would be too lonely if I didn't.

I have since 2013. Didn't realise I was entitled to it so had never put in a claim before. I became very ill with both mental health and physical health. Someone put the claim in for me and I got it withing about a month after. 

Yes, since about 2010. I can't even remember. SSDI and just this year started working part time at the behavioral health agency I was treated at to supplement it.

I think I might apply too, because my health is not looking good. Are there limits to how much you can work? I am sure it varies by state right?

Yes, since about 2010. I can't even remember. SSDI and just this year started working part time at the behavioral health agency I was treated at to supplement it.

I think I might apply too, because my health is not looking good. Are there limits to how much you can work? I am sure it varies by state right?

I don't think it matters from state to state since Social Security is federal, but I'd call or check with your local office. It's $1090 a month total income (you're required to report income from all sources). It adjusts every year for cost of living so it will probably go up $20 a month or so in January. 

I don't think it matters from state to state since Social Security is federal, but I'd call or check with your local office. It's $1090 a month total income (you're required to report income from all sources). It adjusts every year for cost of living so it will probably go up $20 a month or so in January. 

hi,

thanks again. I will apply soon because I missed almost a month of work, and it's been really tough.

I am on ODSP which is a provincial disability program since 2007 for Social Anxiety Disorder officially, but that is far from my only problem.

I'm going on 3 years with disability. It's enough to survive on, but not live. The mere fact that I can't do anything because of finances keeps me depressed. I've lived in my apartment for 9 months, still have no furniture, sleep on the floor, and seldom eat. Food is a luxury. I've lost 60 lbs so far. I can handle the food thing. I can sleep on the floor (although I suffer from spine problems as well.) It's having no life that I can't handle. I can't go to groups, Medicare doesn't cover that in Arizona. Privatized Medicare is the worst thing that ever happened. Co-pays are outrageous, and I don't qualify for Medicaid in AZ. I'm $4 over the limit. They don't take into consideration that Student Loans takes $200 right from the top. The only psychiatrist I can see won't help me with student loans. Even being labeled "disabled" hasn't helped me. 

Btw, it took me a hearing and an appeal to get SSD. 5 long years of living off food stamps, generosity of others, and govt housing. I thought that being disabled I could live on my own. Boy was I wrong. I hope you all have better luck than me. :(