AquaViolet

Is Anybody Else Here On Disability Because Of Mental Illness?

For almost 6 years now, I have been on Disability for both mental illness, and physical reasons.

I don't get a lot of money per month from Disability, and my husband is on Disability too. (He has Cystic Fibrosis.)

My husband, and my daughter, and I live with my mom for financial reasons.

Is anyone else here on Disability because of depression, or other mental illness?

I am on disability - It does help pay the bills but what is really good is the medicaid & $200.00 a month for food... I applied 5-6 times before I was exepted & in the hospital several times...

I've been disabled since 2001 because of mental illness (Bipolar I with severe, chronic depression) I've been on Social Security Disabilty since 2004 (no chance of recovery). It pays about a quarter of my salary when I was working. I'm not qualified for Medicaid or food stamps, so it's a squeeze every month after bills to afford groceries.

The process to get on Social Security can take 3-6 months for determination of claims. If denied, appeals can be filed and that can take a few years to get resolved one way or the other. It's really necessary to have complete and a long mental health history to be considered for disability. Documentation from pdocs and tdocs is very important for your claim.

Sheepwoman

I applied several months ago and finally had their "independent" exams (internist and psych) last week.

We'll see what happens from there.

I was just happy to find out that the internist's mother has fibro, so she understands that it's co-morbid with migraine and depression.

The psych just looked like someone who didn't want to be there, but was repaying government loans by interviewing SSD applicants. She was not a happy camper, from what I could see. She seemed more interested in knowing if I knew who the president was (and the previous two or three) and if I could remember certain words than how my depression affects me.

I applied two years ago and it wasn't until recently that I had gotten it. They turned me down twice saying that my problems weren't lasting or qualified for the disability. I have a hearing last summer with a woman who agreed that i would need it...I think it was because three minutes into the meeting all the stress, and anxiety from the last two years caused me to have a break down.

But sadly I'm only on it till 2013 and I had just got it too. I have to go to another meeting to see if I will be put on it permanently but I doubt it. Because I can only have the disability if I am incapable of "taking care of myself" and if I choose to say marry my boyfriend and move in with him since he would be making more money then me on the disability I wouldn't be able to keep it.

Which in my opinion really isn't all that fair. Anything could happen to a relationship. And then I would be left with nothing.

I tried and was told being I have been outa work 10yrs (I didn't know about SSDI for mental issues) and didn't apply sooner I do not have enough work credits in the last 8yrs to qualify but if I divorced my hubby then I could reaplly and easily get it. so ya I'm suppose to dump my hubby and live on the street so I can re-apply and maybe get help.

I'm strictly on disability for bipolar 1, PTSD, Personality NOS, Eating Disorders and Anxiety. It took me 2 1/2 years of appealing before I was finally approved. What a stressful process. I receive my teacher pension and SSD.

Lindahurt

I'm on disability and have been for five weeks. For bipolar ii/MDD/anxiety. I get up to 16 weeks paid at 80% from my job, so hopefully I can finish riding out the medication roller coaster until i find something that works.

I'm 34 years old, and I'm on Social Security due to my mental health issues. Presumably it's for Major Depression (recurrent) and anxiety (OCD, most likely). I'm not sure because I was approved upon first applying -- a rare thing, I know -- so I never saw exactly what paperwork or diagnoses they received and based their approval on. (I've been dx'd with MDD, OCD, BPD, and Alcohol Abuse, among other things.)

Since my initial breakdown in 2001:

- I went through four jobs in four years (2002-2006)

- I was in individual therapy 3x a week for over four years (2002-2006)

- I spent over a month in a partial hospitalization program, where I got discharged because, according to my insurance company, I wasn't getting any better (2006)

- I spent six months -- 3 hours a day, 5 days a week -- in an intensive outpatient DBT program (2007)

- I've been hospitalized four times (2006-2010)

- I've been on over 25 different medications (2001-2012)

I applied in 2006, was approved in 2007, and was just reviewed/renewed in 2011.

I've been in school since 2007, trying to become a court reporter. Sometimes, though, I wonder whether I just might wind up being on disability indefinitely. I seem to take two steps backwards every time I take one step forward in my recovery.

My disability income, I guess, is enough to live on -- albeit with difficulty -- in Florida. In NYC, where I lived my whole life before moving down here two years ago, it was something but just not enough to cover everything.

I applied for SSD the middle of last year, saw their doctors a few weeks ago, and they sent me a notice the other day saying that their doctors didn't feel that I'm disabled, so my claim was denied.

I've got a call in to my attorney now, because this is garbage. The psych kept asking questions relating to memory. I'm not applying because I have Alzheimer's or dementia, so I'm not sure what what I can remember has to do with major depression.

Time for the lawyers to earn their keep, I guess.

I have been on RSDI Disability for Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder now for about what seems close to 20 years....my memory for dates and years is bad...but thinking back it took about 2.5 years to get re-approved.... as I was on it previously for a few years, went back to school, got a job for less than 10 years, had a breakdown, and back on it again ...And I had to hire an Attorney to help, but they take 1/3 of back-pay after approval, I was just happy to get some income, Its definitely a struggle making the bills, which I am so behind and owe so many debts, it makes depression even worse, those of u that live on it know what I mean...

Hello! :smile:

I am acknowledged as a "disabled person" since 2010 because of my bipolar disorder (it is available till 2015). On the paper I received from the "Departmental house of disabled people" (I think it is a more or less acceptable translation), I can read that they aknowledged it "for [my] abilities to find or to keep a job are actually reduced because of the impairment of one or several physical, sensory or mental functions".

They also say that my disability is considered as being less than 50%. It means that I can apply for a job reserved for disabled people (people with a disability from 50% to 79% can also apply for these "reserved jobs").

As for people who are considered as disabled for more than 80%, they get a certain amount of money every months. I find it fair. But most of these disabled persons need to buy lots of very expensive equipments (wheel chair or specific programs for their computer for instance) and the little amount of money they get every months is derisory compared to their spendings. There are associations which do their best to lend them the equipments they need. But when they want to earn their life there are still lots of obstacles to overcome and as lots of them need to receive treatment at the hospital it is almost impossible for them to get a job. That's why they very often live below the poverty line when their family can't afford to help them.

So even if I have a bipolar disorder I find that I'm lucky. I currently do my studies and I have just found a little job besides.

A French law from 1987 says that at least one wage-earning worker out of 20 must be a disabled worker in an enterprise. If enterprises with at least 20 workers don't respect the quota, they have to pay extra taxes. I usually don't say to recruiters that I am disabled because lots of them still don't want to employ disabled people: lots of them find more convenient to pay extra taxes and have doubts about disabled people's ability to be helpful. But I was lucky enough to be employed a few days ago by people who are used to work with disabled people (but it is not usual).

I have at last the opportunity to feel helpful (and not to feel like an ill person all the time) and to do what about 70% students do: work. I love to work. I love feeling part of the society. Very often the disease makes me feel aside and dismissed and my studies give me the impression to be very far from the real world (because we, as students, are kind of overprotected at university and we hardly have any links with reality).

It is important to me to feel integrated. But once more I am aware of the fact that I am very lucky...

Regards. :smile:

Edited by Le Renard

The first time I applied was for MI and physical health issues----my doctors didn't fill out the forms?!?!?! WTH!?!?!?!?! Of course I was denied and without doctor support there was no point in fighting it. After that when I found a doctor that would treat one of my issues and when he heard I had applied before he said that he wouldn't fill out SS forms because they were too time consuming. Again WTH!?!?!?!

PeachesMary6, the second time I applied my work credits had expired as I hadn't worked in 10 years. I went through the whole process again to be told that. That's something they don't advertise when we pay into the system. I wonder if I can apply again after my divorce and qualify. I hate to go through the process again only to be turned down because I wasn't married long enough. I got different information from the national line than I did from the local office---the national line said I'd qualify the second time or else I wouldn't have gone through it.

I tried to get help from BVR because of the Obama back to school thing that was plastered all over the media. After 2 years of testing with them (don't get me started on why it took so long) they told me they didn't have the money to send me back to school, and with my physical limitations told me to go work retail!?!?!?! I can't stand on my feet very long.

I'd rather get well enough to be able to work and support myself but that isn't going to happen anytime soon and I need a roof over my head, I wouldn't survive homeless at this point because of my physical issues and I don't have any couches to sleep on this time around like when I was young and new more people.

Best wishes everyone.

I applied about a year or two ago and was denied because I hadn't worked enough. I didn't understand that at all since I've worked most of my adult life. Does anyone know how much you have to work in an 8 year period? I didn't even know that part until reading this thread!

Also, if it's true that I haven't worked enough, my Dad said you can use a deceased relative's social security to which my grandma is doing. She's been disabled most of her life and I don't think has ever worked. I guess she uses her Dad and my grandfather's. If that is possible then I'd be able to use my other grandma's. does anyone know about this?

Also, if it's true that I haven't worked enough, my Dad said you can use a deceased relative's social security to which my grandma is doing. She's been disabled most of her life and I don't think has ever worked. I guess she uses her Dad and my grandfather's. If that is possible then I'd be able to use my other grandma's. does anyone know about this?

I've never heard of this. I'd talk to an attorney about that.

I have been on SSDI for BP, anxiety disorder and MDD since march of 2010. Was approved the first try because my pdoc did an outstanding job filling out the paperwork and had plenty of experience helping his patients get disability benifits. I still don't make enough to support myself with all the meds I have to take but combined with my wife's income we do ok.

Since I'm working now and paying into social security, do I get benefits now? I read online somewhere that if you're paying then your insurance is good until a certain point if you stop working and paying into the system. Anyone have any information for me? I'm having a hard time working because of my disorders and I was once recommended to get on disability by my previous doctors (I have since moved out of the county). I was thinking of bringing it up with my current doctors to see if they would recommended it for me now. I would try to continue to work as much as possible but I don't want to end up losing my job because of not being able to come in. I only work 20-25 hours so I believe I would still qualify to receive disability. At least, a friend of mine is on disability and can work up to a certain amount each month. Is that available for everyone?

I also pay into the Calfiornia State Disability Insurance (CASDI). Anyone know about that program?

I got on SSDI (disability) in 2010 at the age of 28. Approved the first time. Debilitating panic disorder.... and I also have other issues (physical). I was on Food stamps but need to renew them. I am also QMB from medicare. They pay 100% parts A,B, deductible, and co pay. I am also on extra help for part D. Although I wish I had a real nice job and was able to function like a normal human being ;)

I got on SSDI (disability) in 2010 at the age of 28. Approved the first time. Debilitating panic disorder.... and I also have other issues (physical). I was on Food stamps but need to renew them. I am also QMB from medicare. They pay 100% parts A,B, deductible, and co pay. I am also on extra help for part D. Although I wish I had a real nice job and was able to function like a normal human being ;)

I was denied Ssdi for depression. While my GP approved for the appeal, my soon to be ex psychiatrist said bipolar being controlled with medication. My attorney told me this doctor is notorious for being no help. Now that I have an initial asperger's diagnosis, and have an appointment pending with vocational rehab, it might make a difference.