No Friends... Why Am I So Unlikeable?

Axmann

I am a 20-year-old guy from Indiana and I currently live with my parents. I have been diagnosed with social anxiety, depression, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The IBS makes my depression ten times worse as I'm always worrying about it.

I have people I speak to on the internet (only a couple), but outside of that, I have no one in the real world who I can ever "hang out" with or who ever calls me just to talk to me, or asks me to do things with them.

I'm trying to figure out why everyone hates me and what I will do in life when there's nothing to look forward to...

Edited by Axmann

You have plenty to look forward to! I know it's like hearing a broken record, but you're still so young. It's not fair that you have to suffer from these illnesses when others don't, but people shouldn't hate you for it, I don't... it's just hard for people to understand things that they haven't experienced and that can make people come off as very cruel.

I know this is the internet, but I'm a real person and I do care what happens to you and others like you and me. It may take longer than we'd like, but with proper treatment life will get better for you.

OmG, Axmann!

I have the same problem. The last friend I had was in elementary and we kind of went our separate ways after high school.

But i don't have any friends either. I never had any in college where it got worse because i went through a whole bullying incident with a roommate who lied to the cops about the whole thing. i just feel like there's nothing to look forward to. How can i pick myself up when nobody likes me? I have/had social anxiety too where i would talk and think i said something stupid or regreted something i said or whether or not I said something to hurt someone else's feelings. :(. Now my mind is all blank and i feel down 24/7, I'm 25 years old and don't feel normal any more. I also suffer from PTSD now because of the incident. I feel dizzy 24/7 and even when i find things i like at stores or garage sales, or have a good day physically, it still a bad day mentally.

aw, hate to hear there are others like me, but i discovered the answer after my then 8 year old son was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome. The hallmark of this is that aspies can't read the "social signals/cues" that normal folks do....and therefore we somehow upset the normals.

Please research aspergers syndrome....and if it sounds like you, I'd bring it up to your psych doc. There are some meds you can take for it, or there are social skills classes that many university and psych offices offer.

Hope this helps,

Red

Both my son and I have Asperger's syndrome.....and the hallmark of that disorder is that we can't read social cues, and have very few, or not any friends...Please read the above page from wikipedia, and do some other research on it, and if it sounds like you, bring it up with your psych doc.....

there are some meds that may help, as well as social skills trainings......