Celebrity Obsession Support

Hello, I've seen several posts on this site from people admitting to having an obsession with a celebrity, not just a crush or a normal infatuation, but a full blown obsession, not being able to function without thinking about that certain celebrity, and spending long periods of time online reading about them, looking at pictures of them, constantly researching them and always checking the news relating to them. These people seemed confused and unable to understand why they feel the way they do. What broke my heart is that since this is a such a rare thing, almost nobody could say anything that would really help, because they just don't understand the way that it feels. I have decided to start this thread, because I am in the same situation. As a 16 year old boy, I have had an unhealthy obsession with a female celebrity since I was about 13, and before that, I had an obsession with a different female celebrity from ages about 8-12. I know how it feels, and i know how debilitating it can be, I understand how ashamed it can make you feel, and how hard it is to even consider telling anyone about it, and I don't want anyone to have to deal with this all by themselves for as long as I have had to. I am starting this thread not asking for help, but as a safe place for anyone suffering in this situation to come and discuss their own situations, and have full support from others that understand how you feel.

I have been obsessed with an actor for 3 1/2 years now, and I can honestly say that I am not ashamed to admit it, nor am I suffering from it. I'm even married too, and my husband is well aware of my feelings for this actor...is he happy about it though? Well, I don't tell him everything about how I feel for this actor, because I'm quite sure that he wouldn't be too happy about it, so some things I keep to myself. My co-workers all know about how I feel about this actor, and nobody gives me a hard time about it. I'm sure they get tired of hearing about him all the time, so I don't talk about him too much at work. My Facebook page is totally dedicated to him, and I talk about him constantly on there. I tell people up front, that if you want to be friends with me, I talk about him all the time, so if you can't handle that, then there's no point to us being friends. I'm really very happy with my obsession with Scott, and I couldn't be happier with it. Oh sure, there are times when I get depressed about his personal life, and the fact that he is married....I can't stand to see photos of them together, and I can't handle hearing about her, so I have to avoid doing searches for him online, just in case a photo of them together shows up, or an article about him might include her name in it too. I'm better off keeping the fantasy of him through his movies, especially when he was younger, as he is 69 years old now, and still acting. Of course I love the 'older' him just as much as the 'young' him, but it's the 'younger' him that I have a fantasy life with and I love it!! I truly do love him, and if there was a chance that we could be together, you bet I would jump at that! But I know it will never happen, and I'm ok with it. I would love to meet him someday, as any fan of their favorite actor would, and I almost had that chance last year when he was supposed to be at a convention in Los Angeles. I went all the way out there to go to the convention, and the day he was supposed to be there...he WASN'T!!! They said he was sick, and I was totally heartbroken over it :tear2: I thought my dream was going to come true, and I was going to meet my idol, but it wasn't meant to be. I was so angry with him for awhile, but I forgave him and I'm still in love with him! I'm not giving up hope that I'll meet him someday. I hope he's going to be somewhere this year....fingers crossed that he will be. I am very happy with my obsession, and it's not interfering with my life at all. I know that for some people, these obsessions can be very devasting for them, and I'm very sorry about that. I don't know how I could help. I just hope we can talk with each other about it. I don't want to stop obsessing over him, I love him too much to let him go. As long as I have a handle on my situation, and I totally understand that this will never be 'real life', I can deal with it. If anyone would like to talk, please feel free to message me on here, or email me, my address is on my profile. Hope to hear from someone soon :smile:

• 5 weeks later...

Wow....I have repressed a lot...I just remembered some things I did as a child which were really bizarre....I was totally obsessed with the beatles...I used to kiss their pictures and fantasize about them. I also had other really bizarre situations where I would lie about knowing certain people and pretend that I had relationships when I didn't, stuff like that....things that I would never admit to another human except that this is a safe place. I think some of my bizarre behavior was probably related to my exposure to abusive step father and a mother who was dying. I would go into my own fantasy world. I don't do this anymore. What I do now is eat to comfort myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you think there's a stigma attached to celeb obsession? I mean not all of us are going to became one of those famous stalkers who kills their favorite celeb. Some of us are really coming from a loving place.

Edited by PrincessKLS

I too used to kiss the pictures of my favorite celebs between 11 and about 13/14. Now as an adult I might use them as avatars or avatars and screennames of countries, etc that are associated with them.

I'm 45, and I still kiss my pictures of Scott and I always use photos of him as my profile photo on Facebook :inlove:

• 1 month later...

I'm glad this thread exists, because I find myself constantly hopping from obsession to obsession and have ever since I could remember. I used to go through phases as a kid where I would be determined to collect every trading card or read every book in a series. I understand that. But I just never seem to have grown out of it and I'm 21. It's not just celebrities but sometimes the characters they play that I get obsessed with.

When I was younger it was the stories in the films/books that I became enthralled with, and then as I hit puberty it became about specific characters and then actors, maybe 10-12 of them in total. Always, it's been the same pattern. I'll be drawn to a celebrity due to a character they played, and then I'll look for interviews. If we have a lot in common it gets a lot worse. I look for more interviews and start to fantasize ways in which we could meet through our shared interests. Usually these obsessions could last anywhere from 8 months to years (with periods of calm in between), and never exclusively since they sometimes overlap.

Very recently I had an obsession with an actor that lasted about three weeks-- that's the least amount of time I have ever been obsessed with someone. But it was all very quick. I watched one of his movies, and suddenly I bought/downloaded everything he'd ever been in. When I was done with that, I saw/read every interview I could get my hands on. Since he's not a well-known actor in this country, that took a really short amount of time. Once I was out of material, I felt bored and almost immediately moved onto another actor. So it seems like, the more material (movies, interviews, etc) I have to work with, and the better I feel like I "know" the actor, the worse it is.

It gets quite complex when talking about the sexual nature of these obsessions. I'm sure some people on this forum have heard of fanfiction, but it's basically fiction written by fans based on source material (books, movies, tv shows, etc). So if I'm obsessed with a certain celebrity, I'm almost always also obsessed with a character they played. That would compel me to find fanfiction about them and another character (usually male/male fic). I have sexual fantasies about the characters, but not the actors (with a couple of exceptions) and the fantasies don't necessarily involve me.

I don't put up posters on my wall or anything like that. I don't have "keepsakes." It's all kind of internal. I usually don't care to find out truly personal information other than interests/hobbies. On the occasions that the actors have had girlfriends/boyfriends, it's not been a problem for me. I can ignore it and it doesn't make me jealous or resentful. I don't know if these truly count as "obsessions," the only thing that makes me worry is how listless I feel when I have nothing to fawn over. And if I don't have a celebrity-du-jour, I just default back to fictional characters and their universes. The thing that makes me doubt that they are truly obsessions is how quickly I snap out of them sometimes. Feelings there, feelings gone, and I've moved on.

It's been like this my whole life. I snap out of real-life relationships the same way I snap out of my obsessions. I'll be very happy with someone and hard-pressed to think about anything but them, and then the next day I may wake up and break it off suddenly, perhaps as soon as I feel I know everything there is so know about someone.

Because this takes up so much of my time (because believe me, just thinking about something for sustained periods can be very distracting and time-consuming) I feel unproductive, like I could be doing other things with my time. Maybe instead of fantasizing about Celebrity Z I could be cultivating the skills I need to further my career and move on with my life. I want excitement for myself, I don't want to seek it from strangers. I also suffer from depression and anxiety and sometimes it feels like the only thing that excites me in life is these feelings for strangers/fictional people.

Exactly the same for me. I am nearly 16 and I have a full blown obsession with a female celebrity, and it drives me to the point of wanting to become famous myself to meet and converse with this celebrity. This, on top of my depression and current state of mind, drives me to suicidal thoughts and questioning the point of life because I will never be able to meet with this celebrity. I know it is extreme but I just want to let it go somehow and this is the right forum for me. I also feel extremely embarrassed about this.

Edited by RightGuard

I have been obsessed with a singer I love on and off for about 9 years now. I don't feel ashamed of it. In fact the love is very real for me, considering I was able to accept her public boyfriend the moment I found out he is a nice man. But definitely I've been through jealousy, stupid jealousy over the slightest matter. And I make slight achievements a glory, like getting a reply from her from her social site. Well maybe not "slight", considering she has millions of followers.

The most depressing thing was not making her a goddess in my life and believing that I wouldn't love anyone more than her, but instead I was unable to get any love in return, not even a slight respond. The whole circumstance I was in was too one-sided and a crush I had in real life brought me to my senses because I think I can love my crush more than my favourite singer. If you haven't figure out by now, I'm a lesbian. Sad to say the crush in real life is most probably one-sided too thus another period of trauma but at least I can get a reply from her if I message her (with the worried thought that I'm bothering her).

What can I say?

They're not bringing me too much happiness in my life but a whole load of misery. Although it's a learning process and I'm grateful that they've appeared in my life. But I can be happy even without them in my life and as long as I don't think about them, I'm as happy as can be. Besides, there are other priorities in life for me now since I've just graduated.

• 7 months later...

I used to develop celebrity obsessions when I was younger. Not so much in the sense of fantasizing about them, or specifically being attracted to them, per se; more so, I would just get fascinated by an actor and decide I had to watch every single movie they'd been in (however terrible)... that kind of thing. That eventually wore off, and was mostly dormant while I was in a couple of long-term relationships, or in periods where I wasn't in a severe depressive episode. I think the key for me is how much I want to escape from my own emotions. In a [functional] relationship, for example, you sort of have to examine your feelings on a regular basis. Since then, though, I've gotten back into obsessiveness, but this time with tv shows or other fictional universes, to the point of writing fanfiction and just constantly thinking about that world. I'd much rather examine the emotional/mental states and lives of fictional characters than pay attention to my own these days.

I agree that the overall effect is much more negative than positive, although in the short term, I think the distraction can help you survive.

Edited by distancing

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone. I just came across this forum and all I can say is WOW! Maybe I am not a weirdo outcast! I had imaginary friends as a young child then had my first crush on a character from a popular, syndicated series when I was 8-9 years old. I hit puberty early like at 10 so my crushes were further fueled by hormones. As long as I can remember, I have had celeb crushes which included actors and singers. I had a few real life crushes on professors as well. A big trait of my obsessions were my pictures. (Still do this.) i would always have to have my man's pic with me wherever I went, he was on my wall, and under my pillow at night. I also would talk to my pictures and imagine they could hear me and talk back. Now I always knew they really couldn't but it kept the fantasy and magic alive. 14 years ago, I met my best friend who was the same way with her pictures. But I thought we were the only ones!

About me. I am in my 30s. I've had relationships before, but they all ended crappy, the last one being the worst! Left me heart broken and torn. I still obsess over my man. I've had a variety over the years. Each time I think ok this is the last time! But then someone else will catch my eye. I have had a favourite actor I have liked for a long time. He, too, played a character on one of my favourite TV series. I am 30 and he is 59 but the age gap never bothered me. I liked guys 30-50 years my senior as a pre teen and teen. But my heart belongs to "Jon" now. He is so gorgeous for his age. Takes care of himself. Has amazing eyes. As much as I love Jon, one of his characters is especially special to me so often my obsession is centred around the character. Jon is moderately famous, yet many folks claim never to have heard of him. He had a big series in the 80s-90s. I think about him a lot and look for pictures of him online but I stay away from interviews and photos of his personal life because honestly I DON'T want to know!!!! He is "my" man and nothing is going to ruin my fantasy and 99% of the time it works. I am currently single, do not ever want a bf or husband but I do want kids. I think children will help fill the void in my life. If I have a boy, I already decided to name him after Jon. Call me crazy but I am staying firm in my decision.

I am mostly introverted about Jon and previous obsessions. I do post him occasionally on FB and my family knows about the tip of the ice berg of my obsessions. When my house is finished getting renovated, I am dedicating a whole bedroom wall to Jon. I sleep with his picture. Oh gods I cannot believe I admitted that just now. What I feel for him is lust, yes but I also love him. Every night and every morning I tell him I love him.

So that is my story.

Scottsgirl, is it possible we have an interest in the same celeb? I also fancy an actor named Scott along with "Jon."

• 1 year later...

I am so glad that I founds this forum.  I have had "crushes" on several celebrities before when I was younger.  I am now 37 years old and have liked this same singer for 9 years ever since I heard the first song.  At first it was just that he was my favorite singer.  Then I started following his social media pages.  Then I started following his family's social media pages because his dad is an actor.  Then I started getting pics of the internet of him.  Now I am like totally obsessed with him.  I get really defensive if anyone says anything negative about him.  I am always getting into arguments online with people because they always post negative stuff on his social media pages.  I am married with 2 kids but I don't see it as a problem because it has not interfered in my ability to function in in the real world.  I still take care of my family, my house, etc.  but, I do talk about him to everyone.  I have a Facebook group for him.  I have over 200 pics and I don't know how many videos, I have a Facebook album and a Pinterest board dedicated to him  He used to be married to an actress but I did not like her.  but I never said anything bad about her while they were together.  They have a son but are divorced now.  I am not jealous of her though.  I do not like her because of his song lyrics.   They talk about her being manipulative, and their arguments.  He mentions something about her throwing bottles at the tv among other things. He is dating a model now and I love her.  I have including her in my Facebook group.  It is a fan group for both of them.  I hope they don't break up because I really love them as a couple.  It would be really devastating to me if they did. I have started following her and her family on social media now.  And several of her family members follow me on Instagram.  I talk to her mother via private message on Instagram several times a week.  She seems like a really nice person and she tells me stuff about both of them.  I have post several pics of both of them and his son on my Instagram.  I was asked if I was in virtual love with him.  I never thought about it like that.  But, I could be.  I have sent him messages on twitter telling him that he needed to pose for PlayGirl magazine and be the next Calvin Klein model.  I would never say anything else like that to him now because I respect his girl friend too much.   My husband know that I like him and that I have pics, but he does not know about the tweets.  I also do not think he knows how serious this really is.  I stay up all night sometimes watching YouTube videos that I have seen several times before.  I also watch interviews with him repeatedly, so it is not just his music videos.I don't believe any of the negative stuff that is said about him online.  I don't even read the articles if I know that they are negative.  I have developed an illusion that he is perfect and do not let anything interfere with that illusion.  If it is negative, then I just don't believe it.  There are days when his music is all that I listen to.  I spend hours online looking for videos that I haven;'t watch or for pics that I don't have yet.  I also do fantasize about him quite regularly  It is difficult not to when you are watching a music video and the song is called Sex Therapy. LOL.  Well, that is enough for now.  If I think of anything else, I will let you know.  And, I will admit who it is.  My obsession is with Robin Thicke.  LOL  It is nice to get to talk to people with the same problem.  I talk to other fans of his in my Facebook group.  And, yeah, they like his music and think he is cute, but I don't think anyone of them are like obsessed as I am and I don't think they understand how serious mine is.  If anyone wants to talk privately then message me or you can look me up on Facebook.  Lillie Amanda Reagan Teel and profile pic is Robin Thicke.  I use his pic for all my social media site and on my phone and computer backgrounds.

• 2 years later...

Hi all.

I'm a 25 year old woman, single. From last year March, I had a huge obsession towards this one actor. Since then, I've been collecting photos, researching all about his details, tried the best I can to buy all of his movies either on dvds or even subscribing to Netflix just because of him. The moment I open my eyes, I will go through social media to look for his latest pictures. 

I admires him so much. As he's nice, doing a lot of charities and very very handsome. Even named as one of the World's Sexiest Actor. He keeps changing girlfriend. 

Just recently, he had a new girlfriend and it's affected me emotionally. I became jealous, disappointed and hurt. I even trying to do research on his girlfriend. To know about their details. 

I had tons of his pictures in my phone, videos, all of his movies. And I fantasizing about him. Fantasizing that I will be his wife and be with him forever. I try to analyze what may cause this. One of the reason I figured out is because I'm lonely. 

I've never been in a real relationships. I  have few closed friends but we rarely hanging out. I seldom going out and about during weekends cause I don't have transports like car or motorbike. It's hard to go anywhere. My hobbies are listening to music and watch movies. I guess, if I can always have my time filled with something, I won't think about anything else. But again, I'm just super lonely. I usually got no one to talk to. 

I've realized today that this totally unhealthy for me. Cause if it's make you sad, then it's not. I wanted to get rid of these obsessions and I hoped someone will give me some advice. 

I want to love this actor and only AS AN ACTOR. Want to keep watching his movies but for the reasons of loving his acting only. Please help me, guys. 

On 1/20/2012 at 1:34 PM, aeiamrc said:
Advertisement

Hello, I've seen several posts on this site from people admitting to having an obsession with a celebrity, not just a crush or a normal infatuation, but a full blown obsession, not being able to function without thinking about that certain celebrity, and spending long periods of time online reading about them, looking at pictures of them, constantly researching them and always checking the news relating to them. These people seemed confused and unable to understand why they feel the way they do. What broke my heart is that since this is a such a rare thing, almost nobody could say anything that would really help, because they just don't understand the way that it feels. I have decided to start this thread, because I am in the same situation. As a 16 year old boy, I have had an unhealthy obsession with a female celebrity since I was about 13, and before that, I had an obsession with a different female celebrity from ages about 8-12. I know how it feels, and i know how debilitating it can be, I understand how ashamed it can make you feel, and how hard it is to even consider telling anyone about it, and I don't want anyone to have to deal with this all by themselves for as long as I have had to. I am starting this thread not asking for help, but as a safe place for anyone suffering in this situation to come and discuss their own situations, and have full support from others that understand how you feel.

Hi, do you still have any obsession towards celebrities? How do you overcome with the problem?

35 minutes ago, Honey1992 said:

Hi all.

I'm a 25 year old woman, single. From last year March, I had a huge obsession towards this one actor. Since then, I've been collecting photos, researching all about his details, tried the best I can to buy all of his movies either on dvds or even subscribing to Netflix just because of him. The moment I open my eyes, I will go through social media to look for his latest pictures. 

I admires him so much. As he's nice, doing a lot of charities and very very handsome. Even named as one of the World's Sexiest Actor. He keeps changing girlfriend. 

Just recently, he had a new girlfriend and it's affected me emotionally. I became jealous, disappointed and hurt. I even trying to do research on his girlfriend. To know about their details. 

I had tons of his pictures in my phone, videos, all of his movies. And I fantasizing about him. Fantasizing that I will be his wife and be with him forever. I try to analyze what may cause this. One of the reason I figured out is because I'm lonely. 

I've never been in a real relationships. I  have few closed friends but we rarely hanging out. I seldom going out and about during weekends cause I don't have transports like car or motorbike. It's hard to go anywhere. My hobbies are listening to music and watch movies. I guess, if I can always have my time filled with something, I won't think about anything else. But again, I'm just super lonely. I usually got no one to talk to. 

I've realized today that this totally unhealthy for me. Cause if it's make you sad, then it's not. I wanted to get rid of these obsessions and I hoped someone will give me some advice. 

I want to love this actor and only AS AN ACTOR. Want to keep watching his movies but for the reasons of loving his acting only. Please help me, guys. 

Hi @Honey1992  :smile:

Come on over to the Celebrity Obsession thread. Many of us can relate to what you're going through: 

• 1 year later...
On 7/17/2017 at 11:53 PM, Honey1992 said:

Hi all.

Hi! I really want to talk with you more about this!