New And Feeling Scared Of Being Depressed

steffanii

Hi, i dont know wether i have written this in the right place but it seemed the best place to put it so here goes...

i need advice....i was digignosed by a doctor a months ago with having severe depression but i almost feel like im fighting it away im too scared to admit yes im depressed.

i always had problems, i was abused by a grandparent and was greatly affected when my brother fought in iraq when i was of a young age, so ive nearly always been in councilling. but with this doctor telling me im severly depressed its scared me so much. i dont want to be i want to be normal i dont want to spend my life having so called 'councillers' all my life and being stuck on medication.

the doc prescribed me with setraline and i took it (ish) i havnt been back to have my dosage upped coz i feel like it will be admitted yes i cant cope with life.

my mum constantly tells me to take my tablets to make everyones elses life much easier (i get very very mad) but she dosnt know what its like to have everyone telling you your not coping and not normal...i lie to her my parnter everyone that i take my tablets....

i know deep down that im being risulous and should just take the medication and feel better but im so scared....

am i being stupid?? is this normal?? oh god please just someone tell me im not alone!!!

Hello Steffani and welcome to DF,

It can be scary suffering with depression and other mental health issues. Reality is that you need help and refusing to take meds only makes it worst. You can learn how to manage your illness so you can enjoy life. I think once you get over your fears treatment won't be so bad.

Look around the site and read some of the material we have in the different forums. Hopefully, being a part of DF will help ease your mind.

Lindahurt

Hello Steffani and welcome to DF,

It can be scary suffering with depression and other mental health issues. Reality is that you need help and refusing to take meds only makes it worst. You can learn how to manage your illness so you can enjoy life. I think once you get over your fears treatment won't be so bad.

Look around the site and read some of the material we have in the different forums. Hopefully, being a part of DF will help ease your mind.

Lindahurt

thanks Lindahurt i think thats why i came here, if i can see its not just me then maybe it wont seem so scary, and from looking around its so nice to see its talked about freely and not in hushed whispers behind the kitchen door. thanks for replying anyway.

(((stefanii)))

I can understand why you're so scared. I didn't realize I had mental health issues until I was 30 years of age. It was a big shock for me too and I thought my life as I knew it was over. Gratned it did change me, but not in some way that I couldn't recover from. Understand that being diagnosed doesn't make you a different person. You're still the exact same person you've always been. A diagnoses just lets the doctors come up with a proper plan for treatment. In a way, it's actually a very good thing. It means you can find ways to cope and tools (such as meds) to help you become a better person who's stronger than you've ever been.

As for the meds, don't look at them as some magic cure. Don't see them as some crutch that means you're weak either. They are simply a tool for wellness, nothing less, nothing more. It's not different than the counceling you've been doing for all these years. Every tool that we add to our box helps us to better maintain our mental health, and meds are just another one of those tools. To me I actually prefer to be on a medication. It so happens that I take Zoloft (sertraline) as well. It brings me to a point where I don't have to deal with daily anxiety and then the aftermath of depression. If I have to chose between being a person who's constantly on alert, and being on meds, I'll take the meds all day, every day.

You're definitely not alone, that much is for sure. You'll realize that being here on DF. There's so many of us out there who struggle with this and try to hide it. It's unfortunate because hiding it means that we always feel so alone. Now that you're here you have a place to really talk about all of this, I hope it can help you understand this.

Think of depression as an illness like any other. It is a chemical imbalance. You would take pills to fight other diseases, right?

I too fought treatment at first. I didn't want to have a mental health history of being depressed because I knew it would end the career choices that I had been working towards in federal service and the military. Then I tried to **** myself but failed because of my fear and incompetence. The army required me to get treatment and sent me home. Now I accept some of the treatment. I take my meds because they make life liveable, but stopped going to the councilors.

These meds take about a month too work. At least take them every day for 6 weeks.and see how you feel. Personally, I came down with extreme insomnia out of the blue at age 29.Went to ER, diagnosed sever depression. I was scared as hell as well. You would be suprised how many people have depression. Being depressed is quite normal in this messed up world if you ask me.

Hi, i dont know wether i have written this in the right place but it seemed the best place to put it so here goes...

i need advice....i was digignosed by a doctor a months ago with having severe depression but i almost feel like im fighting it away im too scared to admit yes im depressed.

i always had problems, i was abused by a grandparent and was greatly affected when my brother fought in iraq when i was of a young age, so ive nearly always been in councilling. but with this doctor telling me im severly depressed its scared me so much. i dont want to be i want to be normal i dont want to spend my life having so called 'councillers' all my life and being stuck on medication.

the doc prescribed me with setraline and i took it (ish) i havnt been back to have my dosage upped coz i feel like it will be admitted yes i cant cope with life.

my mum constantly tells me to take my tablets to make everyones elses life much easier (i get very very mad) but she dosnt know what its like to have everyone telling you your not coping and not normal...i lie to her my parnter everyone that i take my tablets....

i know deep down that im being risulous and should just take the medication and feel better but im so scared....

am i being stupid?? is this normal?? oh god please just someone tell me im not alone!!!

To me the first step to getting better was admitting that I in fact had a mental illness, yes I was scared, ashamed and embarrassed about having this but when I finally admitted that I had this and was able to do something to better things did in fact improve quite a bit. If you had a bad headache you would probably take something for it, unless you enjoyed having one. Its the same with our mental illness, you want to get better, you need to take your meds your doc prescribed. Are you alone, no, that why this forum and others like it exsist, so we can help each other out. And please don't worry about others say about your condition, we have it, we have it, thats the bottom line. As far as being normal, of course we are; are. I'm sorry about your abuse, I really am but I can't address that because I never experienced it but I did serve three tours in combat, its very hard but it can be overcome. Pleez listen to your mama and take your meds, they take time to work but usually they do, you don't want to try and live without them because it can really be dangerous. Stay strong and keep the faith.